New, from Santa Cruz, California at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old February 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New, from Santa Cruz, California

Hey all. I'm new to the forums, gathering info in preparation for my first full-length docu project. I'm in Santa Cruz, California. Anyone else in these parts?
Brian Orser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Brian:

Welcome to DVInfo.net. What kind of documentary ?

I've seen a lot of Bay Area people on line here. I'm a little farther out in Sacramento area...
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Brian,

I'm right next door here in Marina. If you don't mind me asking, what is your documentary on?

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey guys. Thanks for the welcome. Sacramento and Marina; not too far. :)

The doc is on the cycle of social, economic and educational inequality in Richmond California, exemplified in Richmond High School. Basically a documentary on Richmond High School, but as a microcosm of Richmond itself. The over-whelming majority will obviously be one-person interview. We are looking to give this as high production value as we can with our budget, and are purchasing either a JVC HD110U or a Cannon XLH1, and an M2 or Brevis adapter. We are going for a filmic, fairly high-contrast, saturated, artistic look. We will shoot HD. Its a crew of 3 (unless this proves to be overambitious, and we need extra hands)

I don't mean to be cynical, but the reason I wasn't more specific to begin with (aside from not knowing whether I should burden you guys with the details) was that I was admittedly sort of worried about my concept being in some part "borrowed." I don't mind sharing, but it does kind of take the wind out of a projects sails to be unoriginal. :) Anyways, Im wondering if this is even a valid worry - has this ever happened to anyone? I don't mean to offend anyone by questioning the integrity of this forum or anything, as any number of unregistered users can see my posts.

Anyways, I was just curious.

:)

Questions I have just asked concerning my project's sound and lighting respectively:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86968
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86974
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Hi Brian, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Orser

Anyways, Im wondering if this is even a valid worry - has this ever happened to anyone? I don't mean to offend anyone by questioning the integrity of this forum or anything, as any number of unregistered users can see my posts.
My question was asked just to have an idea what you were trying to do. There are a lot of different levels of users on this forum, from beginners, to advanced ameteurs, to seasoned pros. Docus can cover a lot of ground from nature productions to politics, etc., and that was the reason for my general query. While you got into more detail than expected, I would not expect that there would be a rush to beat you to the punch coming from this forum. I haven't heard of any such disputes...

By the way, I consider myself advanced ameteru, and I am learning to use a self built 35mm, adapted from the Redrock DIY plans, with a FX-1.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

" documentary on ____________, but as a microcosm of ________ itself."

don't worry about somebody taking the "basic " idea - it's already been used many times ... you just happened to fill in the blanks with " X high school & the city of the high school " ... now it comes down to what you do with it ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris: don't think I thought you were trying to steal my ideas. ;) I was just wondering whether my concern was valid, which I trust it isn't. Thanks for the assurance.

Don: I realize it's not original in its basic conception, but was merely thinking that since people already have that concept my giving a good specific example might inspire someone too original to discover their own. A very minor concern - no need to make a big deal of it. But, point taken.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Understood Brian, and I didn't consider that you had. So how much experience to you have with 35mm adapter ? Shot anything with one yet. Wondering about thoughts on it if you have....
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Alas Chris, I am just getting my kit together. I've been stuck with a Panasonic GS-400 (which has served me fairly well) and have been borrowing equipment for too long. I finally have the cash to do a complete overhaul all at once (I decided it would be better than piecemeal). I'm getting the adapter soon, then the camera, the monitor; borrowing the light kit and the audio set-up for now. I still can't decide between the XLH1 and the JVCHD110, which by some fluke are the same price even though the XLH1 is technically far higher in the Cannon line (it's basically the JVCHD220 of the JVCs as far as I can tell) than the HD110 is in the JVC line. I'm still trying to weigh the pros and cons. I have a pretty good set of 35mm lenses from my photography (some nice old Cannon FD glass, a Vivitar, and some really nice Cannon EOS glass) for the adapter. I got all the software and post in place.

This probably isnt the right place for that post. But I guess it fits. :)
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Brian,

Thanks for sharing. I was just genuinely curious. Good luck and I would like to check it out when it's done.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thank you Kevin. I'll keep everyone up to date.
Don't expect too much - I don't want you all to be disappointed. ;) (I personally am expecting everything, so am fated to be disappointed).
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Brian, Just wanted to say hey! Another Santa Cruz resident but just a hobbiest, no dreams of being anything else..at least not yet. Looking forward to updates as your project moves along.
Randy Boose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Heya Randy! Santa Cruz's a lovely place eh? Good to meet a neighbor.

I too could surely be classified a hobbyist, still being a High School Senior, and headed for sociology and economics, not film (though I will be continuing to make and study film forever, I hope, and hopefully with a real budget eventually) ;).
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Major Player

awe man.... I had the best fried zuccini ever on the board walk! make'n me hungry!

viva la bannana slugs!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood