Erhan Gucel, Istanbul, Turkey at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Erhan Gucel, Istanbul, Turkey

Hello everyone,

I'm from Istanbul, Turkey. Age 23. I'm going to a cinema school for become a director. Actually I was a Business Administration student last year but I left the university and decided to do what I love: Cinema business. I told this to my family and told them "I want to learn it in England or USA but they shocked when they heard I want to leave the University :D So they didn't send me abroad, instead they send me 1 year cinema school in istanbul. Schools are really bad here. (for example I'm trying to shot a short thriller here with HD camera, they say "why a HD camera? use a MiniDV, what is the difference?" they compare a JVC HD111 and Sony PD150). The school is a part of a big movie production company.

So, maybe next year I can go to England for a real education. But untill then, I will do my best with my projects.

Hello again everyone.
Erhan Gucel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Hi Erhan, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

To some degree your school might be right. Sure there is a (technical) difference between a SD or HD camera, but the skill is with the director, cinematographer, camera operator etc.

28 days later was shot on a Canon SD camera and was released world-wide into theaters.

People can do great things with limitations. See it as a challenge and work with what you have. I've seen a lot more movies placed in England/London or USA/New York/LA than I've seen cities or the country side in Turkey! Use unique locations to your advantage.

Good script, good acting, good directing, good editing and good sound & lighting will get you much further than a HD camera!

No doubt you already know all of this, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of this every once in a while :)

Good luck with school and your projects!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Wrangler

merhaba, erhan

(okay, that's most of my turkish, so don't be fooled by my name....)

you're going to get a way better education at DVInfo than you will in film school.

you should enter this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=100

and this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=144

and you'll get feedback from far more seasoned shooters than you will in most film schools.

best of luck!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood