Y'all step up and say Howdy - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 31st, 2002, 07:51 PM   #151
PlanetNEO

Greetings from Memphis

I'm actually a converted still photographer who has come into the light...the hot lights in this case. I've finished one short that's been picked up by two film festivals and is being reviewed by a distributor, and am planning on starting a feature this fall.

We're fortunate here in Memphis that we have a media co-op with several up and coming filmmakers, office space and a 100 seat digital theatre. Our first film fest is next month if you're planning on being in the area.

Digital video is just a blast and filmmakers are, by and large, a pretty cool group to hang with. Looking forward to being a part of this forum. Hopefully there are some of you nearby.

You know what I think is the best thing about the digital revolution...that small groups of people can get together and tell a compelling story on screen without the need to put anyone through the meat grinder of the Hollywood establishment.

Make your mark. Make your movie.
Old August 1st, 2002, 02:01 AM   #152
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard! Good to have you with us. Sounds like your
doing a thing you love, and you know what, that's great! Enjoy!
Some great tips too. Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2002, 10:15 AM   #153
Obstreperous Rex

Austin, eh? We might know the same people. Great to have you with us, Mark!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #154
New Boot

Introduction

Hi All,

My name is Sjef Beekmans, born in Holland, and living in Montreal, Canada since 16 years now.

I always had an interest in videography, and got thrown into it a few years ago, and trying to keep my head above water doing pretty much everything on my own from pre to post production.

My knowledge is perhaps not deep enough in any of the fields I cover, but I am staring to get a pretty wide base of knowledge and sure am happy having found this forum.

I hope I can expect as much help over the next few months as I received in the last few days on one topic alone, and will certainly be helping someone should the occasion arise.

Keep in touch guys!!
( now I gotta find a way to get my email on this thing..)
Sjef Beekmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #155
Obstreperous Rex

I've got your e-mail link showing, Sjef... great to have you with us and welcome aboard,

Old August 6th, 2002, 11:43 PM   #156
chrisshot

DSR-PD100A ,seeking guru.

just got my hands on this baby! any gurus out there? eating up the manuel like a condemed mans last meal. i'm sure i'll have a ton of ????? 's. like best price on tape... and so on. i cruised this site for hours last night,informative/provocative exchange. thank you all for your extremely valueable input.

chris shot
Old August 7th, 2002, 01:03 PM   #157
Obstreperous Rex

You're always welcome to utilize our Sony camera forum... although it's earmarked for the VX2000/PD150, Mike Rehmus and the gang should be able to answer any questions you have.

For DV tape, consider our sponsor Pro-Tape in Austin, Texas at www.pro-tape.com -- they have superior service at competitive prices. Welcome aboard!

Old August 8th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #158
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Anyone in the Denver area?

Is there anyone on here who lives in the Denver area who would be interested in getting together to compare notes/experiences/equipment?
wefdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2002, 11:26 PM   #159
Regular Crew

This place is Great!

Hello all,
Boy am I glad I found this place! It sure beats some of the other discussion pages that seem to only contain the typical Sony vs. Canon/which is better/my camera can beat up your camera/etc threads.

My name is Greg Vaughn and I'm from the Kansas City, Missouri area. For the past year, I've been seriously getting back into video work after being out of it for over 10 years. I got suckered into the computer field and hate it now. Most of my experience comes from still photography (the old fashion film kind - remember?!?) and a brief summer stint at NYU film school working with 16mm film and a 35mm production. I hardly remember any of it - I seem to remember always being sleepy. Non-union hours I guess.

Anywho, I just purchased a new Canon XL1S and can't believe the quality compared to what I used over a decade ago (SVHS was just catching on - high end was 3/4" U-Matic). Most of the work I've been doing in the past year has been for non-profit organizations for experience. So far I have one mass market videotape and several cable shows under my belt.

Until I can get Santa Claus to bring me a FC Pro-ish or Avid-ish editing system, I use an old Panasonic Postbox NLE that was donated to one of the non-profits I'm a member of. Anyone else out there still use one of these? It looks like it was quite a machine for its time (still is). I also have an old Compaq 96 GB SCSI array that I'm hoping I can get to work with the P-Box. Even though a single hard drive could probably replace the entire array, it looks cool and uses the same HDs as the P-Box.

Well, hope to meet some of you and start picking your brains soon!

Best Reg's,
Greg Vaughn
Greg Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2002, 11:46 PM   #160
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Greg!

This is formally known as the "Rumplestilskin Syndrome". To get over the shock of ten years of video quality improvement we recommend deep-breathing exercises at the earliest onset of your first "Whoa!" symptoms. If you feel faint, breathe into a paper bag for 10-20 seconds. Repeat as necesary.

Glad to have you aboard. It sounds like you're making the best of the gear available to you. Hopefully Santa hasn't been hit too hard by the recent market swoon so you may find a shiny new FCP system under your tree in December (if you've been a good boy, that is).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #161
Regular Crew

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the breathing advice! Now I know what the black bag that came with my XL1S is for. Heck, all this time I thought it was a lens bag. Boy am I dumb!

Well anyhow, nice to meet you.

Regards,
Greg
Greg Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 09:29 AM   #162
Major Player

Ontario Canada

Hi all, will be purchasing an XL-1S soon. I'm in south wastern ontario, so props to any other enthusiasts in the same area :D

It was a toss up between the VX2000 or a XL-1S. I think the XL will provide me with a lot more flexibility and longevity.
Old August 14th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #163
Wrangler

Don't forget, the XL1s looks cooler too. :)
Where are you from in Ont? I was born in TO and grew up in the Niagara region.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 08:46 PM   #164
Regular Crew

I think you'll enjoy your XL1s. I purchased mine in February after much humming and hawing and worrying about the "money thing". I've been very happy with mine so far. With both shooting and editing I've learned more, in the last few months, than I have for years. The VX2000 looks like a good unit also, but like you said, flexibility is what sold me. I hope your experience is as good as mine has been. Good luck!
Old August 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM   #165
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Sjef, I myself am from Holland as well and am
currently still living there. Good to have you with us.

Groetjes.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood