Y'all step up and say Howdy - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old August 26th, 2002, 06:38 AM   #166
graygeek

A Third Oregonian

Greetings,

Gaston(pop. 629), is about 35 southwest of Portland. I am a transplanted New Yorker who became completely addicted to DV in the last year.

I own a Sony TRV17 and I am currently editing with Studio 7 and Vegas Video.

I'm in the process of forming a non-profit to aid young people who fell through the cracks in school and need a medium like
DV to excite them.

I just finished Robert Rodriquez's book "Rebel Without A Crew".

Looking forward to participating in some great conversations.

Tnx SM for introducing me to this group.

Lenny Charnoff
Old August 26th, 2002, 12:10 PM   #167
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Lenny! Good to have you with us. You seem to
have some interesting projects to set your mind too. Great!

Thought the book was a very nice one to read. Very personal,
that made it interesting.

See you around.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2002, 03:27 PM   #168
New Boot

Yet another photographer

Hello, My name is Ken Krakow and I am a commercial still photographer living in Macon, Ga. USA. I’ve been scanning film and delivering most of my work on CD since 1995. In 1999 I bought a Dicomed scanning back and DCS560 Kodak/Canon digital camera and have avoided almost all film since then. I've done a little video here and there since the mid 80's with various camcorders. A few years ago I bought one of the little Sony TRV103. I am now going to try and do a little semi pro video with my brand new GL2. I've already learned a great deal in the last few weeks and regard most highly the quality and integrity of the posts I've read on this board. Now, off to start a new thread with my first question.

Best,

Ken

www.kenkrakow.com
Ken Krakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #169
Trustee

Welcome aboard Ken. Like yourself, there are a number of crew here that have backgrounds in still photography. Many of the principles you have learned over the years are the same in regards to composition, exposure etc.

It will be good to have someone with good digital experience as there are usually a couple of threads floating around with questions on the subject.

From what I've seen the GL2 is a great camera and you should have a blast getting to know your way around it.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2002, 12:34 PM   #170
Regular Crew

Greetings from Miami, Florida

Greetings to all from Miami, Florida. I have been a memeber of the DVi Community for a few months now. and would like to say thanks for all the help to my questions.

I am still looking to meet people in the Miami, Dade and Broward County area. that are into DVing and editing.
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 08:36 AM   #171
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard George and thanks for registering with your
real name. Since you've already been here some time the forum
doesn't need introduction.

Cheers!

Old September 5th, 2002, 02:11 PM   #172
John Schuster

Hi from Evergreen (close to Denver) Colorado

I started my journey in video when I was laid off from Level 3 Communications last November. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I received a good severence package and was able to slow down and think about what is important, the people I love. I also finally had time to start a project I had always hoped to do, but saddly never though I would really have the time to do. I have 7 siblings and my parents are in their mid 70's. At the start of this year I spent 3 months travelling to all my family members and as many of my parents siblings as possible. I captured video interviews from all off them and scanned as many pictures I could get while at each family members home. I prepared my questions for the interviews primarily from a book called "To our Children's Children" by Bob Greene. I also worked with most of my siblings to gather questions they have about my parents and my parents siblings, our Aunts and Uncles. I now have about 32 hours of video and probably 1000 pictures. I am a newbie to iMac, so I ended up purchasing a iMac G4 with superdrive, Final Cut Pro 3, DVD Studio Pro. I shot all the video with a Canon Optura 100MC and used lav mic and always used headphones to monitor sound (saved several shoots when had to find source of noise). I also made a b-roll list of shots as I interviewed. I was able to get shots of most places that family members mention in the interviews while I made my travels to everyones homes.

I decided to go with FCP and DVSP as soon as I realized I was going to have to manage hundreds/thousands of video segments and photos. iMovie while very capable cannot handle clip managment of that level. I also purchased DVSP to help handle the DV content that in some parts will have subtitling, etc that iDVD was not capable of (I also gathered old 8mm reels that will need voice over/captioning from my parents). Meaning many pictures and old movies have people I don't know the names of or their relationship or interesting stories about.

I will hopefully finish the production by the end of this year. The info I read about how documentaries take the most time to compile and edit where right.

But, one of the greatest things is that no matter if I ever produce any DVD''s or Tapes from my project, I had the time of my life. I was able to reconnect with family all over the states and spend real quality time with them not just a visit for a holiday. I talked about things with my parents and Aunts and Uncles that I would have never known, things that would be lost forever had I kept my job and tried to do this project 10 or 15 years from now.

So long story short, I don't know where my relationship with the video camera will take me in the long run, but it was a tool that helped be experience and capture a lifetime of stories and memories from my family.

John Schuster
Old September 6th, 2002, 01:52 AM   #173
RED Code Chef

Thank you very much for your introduction and story John, it was
a real nice piece to read! I must say that your story is one of the
most unique uses of a video camera I've heard, very touching.
What more can one want then be in contact with loved ones. I
myself am going to move back to the northern of my country
for the same reason: I want to be with the people that matter
in my life.

Thanks again for sharing and welcome aboard! I hope you'll
have a great time here. You have a lot of footage to process
(I already find myself in agony when scanning through 60
minutes of footage deciding what I need) and I wish you all
the best with your project.

Glad to have you with us.

Old September 6th, 2002, 11:57 PM   #174
Cyn Bagley

Hello from Germany

I was introduced to this board by my husband Ottotune. My expertise is not in cameras and video although I really enjoy a good point-and-click. My expertise is in massaging words.

My husband pointed out that a good video uses a beginning, middle, and end, which is very similar to a good story. I am interested in how the video community tells a story and what types of techniques are being used.

Currently, I am publishing my work in various literary journals and even an article or two in the "Stars and Stripes." If you need an amateur editor, I am your woman.

Also, my husband said I am really good at holding a mike boom pole!

Everything is grist for the pencil.
Old September 9th, 2002, 04:32 AM   #175
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Cyn, good to have you with us. Currently there
are not much posts about "story"... yet, I hope. This is ofcourse
a very fascinating and important part of the independent movie
maker! I hope to see some interesting discussions on this subject.

Thanks!

Old September 29th, 2002, 06:02 PM   #176
New Boot

Montreal Based location DV Crew Needed

I would like to get in touch with Montreal based freelance videographers, sound mixers, boom operators, NLE assitants, and road ready location crew. I am in the process of putting together several shoots in Montreal, Bermuda, Seville, Lisbon. and other destinations and will require a pool of hard working staff. Everthing from multilingual talent to DV cinematographers, PAs and experienced post people. Please reply to this thread or send a message to electronics4sale@hotmail.com with general CV details, ambitions, and a return email contact, and shortly I will contact you offline.
R. Charles
Travelreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 11:18 PM   #177
Regular Crew

Newbie from Boston

Hi all.

I'm Jim from the Boston area.

I got started with DV by going out mountain biking with friends and a friend bringing his Sony PC5 DV cam along. We started making videos for fun and put them up on the internet for people to get a kick out of. We decided to call ourselves Half-Assed Productions, if you see the movies you'll know why.

After a while I realized I really enjoy working with video both shooting and post productions. I just recently picked up a GL2 and I work with Premiere 6.5. We've also decided to change our name to DownFall Productions.

Check out some of our videos if you have some free time.
I recommend the top video, as you go down the list the videos get older and our in-experience shows more and more.
They are definately fun to watch though.
www.half-assed-prod.com
Jim Ioannidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2002, 07:37 AM   #178
Tourist

i'm a newbie myself, so I won't offer a real critique, but definitely fun to watch!

-jenn
jenndietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2002, 11:12 PM   #179
New Boot

San Diego, North and Orange County

Always lookign for work in these areas....will do anything from weddings to wakeboarding.

BTW...check out my video on the Vans Triple Crown event in Oceanside this past weekend...need flash player 6.0 and a fast connection.

Jay Reilly
http://www.jayreilly.com
Jay Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2002, 04:33 AM   #180
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Jim! It sure sounds you are having a lot of fun
doing things you love, great! And with the GL2 you have an
awesome camera to make some very nice movies!

Good luck and I'll check out your site.

Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood