Y'all step up and say Howdy - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM   #91
RED Code Chef

Hi Aaron!

Welcome aboard first of all! It is a very good idea to try and
learn the craft with small manageable projects. That went very
well for myself (if you want to know more you can find my two
articles about all of this on the site). I wish you the best of
luck with everything! Happy dv-ing.

Cheers!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 11:41 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Hiya ya Krazy Kiwi!

Howzit Aaron, as a 215 pound ex-rugby player, ex-special forces, ex-stuntman and now an XL1S shooting, vegan, bunny/tree hugger, always keen to hear others on this board showing an interest in animals and such. Good luck with it!

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2002, 04:51 AM   #93

From The Heart of the Rockies

Greetings, All:

I just discovered this site and from what I've seen so far I believe it will be helpful in many ways.

I live in a very small town in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado... Salida (pop. 4,000, elevation 8.500'). It's a wonderful place to live, but a pain in the fanny to get to the airport (Denver or Colorado Springs) during snowstorms.

I was a film snob until I needed some pick-up shots for my last feature about an elderly Native American and a Canada goose... the goose was terrified of the camera and boom mike. So along came the XL1 in the Frame Movie Mode, and BINGO, the shots worked. So long, Foto-Kem... nice knowing you.

Charles Newcomb
Old April 18th, 2002, 06:11 AM   #94
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Charles! Animals can indeed be difficult to work
with. My cats thing my XL1S is a toy... unless it makes noise and
that it is a scarry monster. Hehe. Nice to have you around!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2002, 02:30 PM   #95
Warden

I've been at this Too Long.......NOT !

Hi All.

I guess with 50 some posts I'm overdue for introducing myself. Born and raised in the Cleveland area, moved to Cincinnati in '79 and got started in my photography/video career. I'm 45 years old, so I'll save you the math. I've been doing this for more than half my life. I've loved every minute of it... well almost. I started my production company in Cincinnati in 1985. When I left in '96 I had 17 employees and two AVIDS and two on-line suites that you could do everything from 1 inch on down and two off-line suites. My clients were P & G , Kroger, Federated Department Stores, Ford Motor Co and the like. Sounds impressive, but any good production company in Cincinnati did work for those guys. What I really enjoyed doing were the free productions we did for The Nature Conservency, New Jersey Audubon and other conservation organizations. I feel it's very important to give something back. We have control over a very powerfull tool. If used properly we can inform and change public opinon and in doing so change our community and our world.

Well, by '95 I was shooting less and less and spending more and more time picking out health care plans, writing employee handbooks etc. I left the company in '96 with one of the AVID Media Compossers an started work on an independent production. We took a year to do it and off lined it on my AVID. When we finished I sold the AVID and went to work for a local TV Station. Left the station in '98 and started doing work on my own again. In January 2001 I bought a Mac G4 Dual Processor and taught my self Final Cut Pro. Being a certified AVID editor it wasn't too hard. Almost instantly i could see the power of what Apple is doing. The power of FCP is changing the way
small and large productions houses are editing. For the small, independant guy it gives you the same tools as the big guys. Pretty neat.

So, in twenty some years I've pretty much seen it all and done it all. I've been dealing with alot of the digital issues for nearly ten years now. The switch from Betcam SP to mini DV took a little adjustment, but i love the power it puts in the palm of your hand. So, while it's great fun to talk about all this cool DV stuff let's go out and shoot something and change our world just a little bit.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 11:27 AM   #96
Regular Crew

hello from atlanta

posting my hello to the board and more of a thanks, I have been checking in on the watchdog and this forum for a while now but just recently finally took the plunge and registered. the information I have been getting here has been a big help long before joining.

i work at a cable network here in atlanta (gee guess which one) and after returning from the election 2000 fiasco in Florida chose to spend part of my o/t on a camera for myself. I bought my XL1 in Jan 2001 thanks to the Palm Beach County Election office....I now have a PD100A also(bcam), lecrtrosonics, lowel lights etc, ibook with fc. I do some side work for friends at work, events etc, as well as some spot ENG work and some stories for work. Its interesting because Ive primarrily shot DV prior to buying, using DSR300's and pd150s,100s. There is a plethora of them at my net and in the field they come in quite handy for the non regular crews.

Im hoping to take a leave of abscence later this summer to do some of my own stories...mtn biking in moab, clarksdale ms home of the blues, beat bands in big sur that type of thing. Again thanks to the board for helping me become better and get the right items....

Michel

btw you may have seen my camera on HeadlineNews a few weeks ago, a friend was being questioned as a guest on a segment about Indie filmaking so I lent him my camera as a prop, it had my new 16x manual lens on it. Right after it ended had a bunch of coworkers I didnt know had also purchased xl1's showed up to see the new lens :).
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 11:30 AM   #97
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for checking in Michel, every once in awhile you will see me take a dig at that network, I have my own pet name for it, but my issues are related to the way it presents its programming and not with the shooters. It is an honor to have you here. Much respect,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 11:31 AM   #98
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, that's quite a pedigree you have there Jeff, it's a pleasure to have you aboard and I certainly appreciate all your fine input. Much respect,

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:01 AM   #99
mikekylis

Greetings

Hello
My name is Mike and after years of television/print I have taken up making documentaries. My partner and I have started production with the XL1s and I could use all the help I can get.
Thanks,
Mike
Old May 7th, 2002, 06:54 AM   #100
Obstreperous Rex

Very impressive website, Mike... if you choose to attend DV Expo East at the end of June somewhere in the city, be sure to look me up and say hi... I'll be in the Canon booth. Welcome aboard!

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #101
Trustee

going to Florida---

Hello all,

some of you might remember me and my Redtail hawk project. I am heading to Florida (Newport Richie) on the 10th til the 20th and am bring the XL1S along for some wildlife filming- anyone know any good spots around the Newport Richie area?

...totally lost in FL.

Steve
Old May 7th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #102
Regular Crew

You're definitely going to be lost, because the place you are going is New Port Richey. ;^) Just kidding. About an hour north of there is where you will find manatees in the crystal clear springs and rivers.
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:25 PM   #103
mikekylis

Thanks

I'll do that Chris. Let me know when your in town.
Mike
raindog01@hotmail.com
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:41 AM   #104
New Boot

Introductions

Thought it was about time I introduced myself, after having spent time surfing your threads. My name is Peter Summers, from the UK. I am a theatre director who has moved into DV making. I currently run a DV Production Co making Charity fundraising videos and am in pre-production on a documentary I will shoot at the end of 2002. I use an XL-1 and edit on a MacG4 in F.C.P.2

I am slowly getting into DV Production and want to shoot a feature soon.

Would love to hear from anyone in the UK esp.
Peter Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #105
Obstreperous Rex

Peter, many thanks for stepping forward, and I do believe we have a number of folks over there on your side of the pond in the UK. Welcome aboard!

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood