Anybody from the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old April 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Tourist

Anybody from the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area?

I moved back here from New York a while back (BIG MISTAKE). Now it seems like all the indie resources that were once here such as the IFP South and a few others are all gone. I'm trying to find a few like minded people that may be interested in collaborating, sharing resources, etc. for some short films, perhaps something more substantial. If you are such a person, please drop me a line. Let's chat. Let's do something. Anything for god sake. An idol mind is the devils playground and he's building a swing-set in my head at this point.

I'm finding that the best way to describe Miami for indie film is found in a famous exchange from the movie "Casablanca":

Police Chief: Rick, why did you come to Casablanca?

Rick: I came for the water.

Police Chief: But, Casablanca is in the desert.

Rick: I was mis-informed.
Juan F. Cejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #2
New Boot

Hola, Juan!

I have now just about exhausted my command of Spanish!

I am scheduled to shoot a music video in Miami within the next several weeks, as soon as the singer gets back from Japan with Little Richard, and from my preliminary investigations, there looks to be tons of resources in Miami for the production world. There are some very good production companies, and some middle of the road ones, too.

I suspect that you can start gathering some great stock footage in that area and put it on the market. You have the Glades, the Keys, and all the Spring Break action spots. Surely there is profit to be made in such a place with a good camera, a creative eye, and a steady hand.
Ron Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #3
Trustee

Juan,
Bienvenido al desierto ( welcome to the desert). I'm in Pembroke Pines, and do event shooting,location sound and music production. Give me a call sometime and we can talk.
Ron,
Can you give some idea of how to market footage?
Thanks
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Juan,

The movie and television work that's in Florida is mostly in Miami, so you are in the right area of the state. It declines very rapidly as you go north. From what I understand, because of rules, once you get away from there about 60 or 90 miles then you are required to pay travel and housing for those involved. Makes to too expensive for smaller productions.

You are in the right area, just keep your nose in the wind!

Mike
Old April 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Runway Fashion, Celebrity Interviews and Events

I'm in the Hollywood area (7 minutes from Ft Lauderdale). I'm not as active now but I shoot Runway Fashion Shows (next one is in two weeks at the Versace Mansion 4/27/07), Celebrity interviews, clubs and fashion events. I also have a couple of short 3 & 5 minute movies I wanted to shoot in very cool atmosphere deep in Coconut Grove. But I never had any like minded people to shoot with.

If your into Data Centers you might like the one in my home. See home Data Center Rack photo below.
http://www.videofame.com/Administrat...eCorrected.jpg
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Tourist

Juan F. Cejas

Greetings Juan,
Geez, you are a slippery fellow to locate. If you get a chance, drop me a line at tomamick1@yahoo.com. Some interesting things going on here, regarding production, in Atlanta.
Hope this missive finds you in good spirits.
Cheers, Tom Amick
Tom Amick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #7
Tourist

Hey Juan,
Saw your post on Digital video. Was wondering what you were up to.
Saw something about a film you made with Betsy. Sounded interesting. Were you happy with it? Always interested in your film and theatre work.
I've stopped doing theatre completely. Can't find a reason to do it and I think I'm a much better screenwriter anyway. Screaming My Heart Out is optioned and my other scripts are now with an agent. Just finished a script about steel mill labor unions and the mob, (lots of crazy research).....doesn't sound it, but it's character driven. Don't think I'll do much with this one, 'cause somehow all my scripts end up being very expensive. It's called "The Sleep King"
Did a lot of work on Poppytown and it did win "Best Film Noir" in Fade In Magazine, so as always.......and as you do, we wait.
Oh, also saw that you directed a piece in Florida "Fool's Paradise". Sounded wonderful. Did it go to NY?
Hope you find some interesting indie work in Miami.
Of course, my dream is to do "10 Minutes From Paradise". I'd die for it.
Janyce
Janyce Lapore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood