DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Greetings from NYC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/95514-greetings-nyc.html)

Steve Nunez February 18th, 2002 09:22 AM

NYC XL1S shooter- (redtail hawk project)

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project that will eventually be showcased by the NYC Parks Dept & Urban Park Rangers showcasing the red-tail hawk.
I have documented a population of very successful redtails in a small local park in the Bronx- and have created a short 6 minute "action-footage" video. I'd say the video is about 90% complete but needs a little polishing (anyone in NYC wanna help?- i'd be glad to meet up and work the video a bit)..the video was mostly shot with an XL1S. This project is purely voluntary and is non-paying- i'm doing it for the enjoyment of producing the project and showcasing my photography and videography. Media and press coverage has been promised for the "Hawk Fest" where my video will be played....(alot of footage consists of the hawk capturing live prey and flying off- then consumption!!)

..i'm looking for some polishing by anyone who might lend a hand....if anyone feels they can help in polishing some footage (DV) of these redtail hawks- drop me a note- i'd welcome the opportunity to work with a knowledgeable person. Of course any help would be listed in the closing credits and would be acknowledged in any media or press coverage.

My editing setup consists of a Mac G4 running Final Cut Pro and Commotion.
Email stevenyc1@aol.com

PS- If anyone cares to join me in capturing more footage of these redtail hawks- I'd be more than willing to go to the park where these hawks are constantly hunting....great action almost guranteed!

Chris Hurd February 18th, 2002 12:03 PM

Steve, this is fascinating and I'd love to see a copy when it's finished. We have a lot of redtail hawks here in Texas. Out here in the country they're easy to spot over the fields near the highway, usually hovering about fifty or seventy feet up or so, looking for lunch. Amazing birds. Please keep me advised about the status of your documentary,

Steve Nunez February 18th, 2002 08:43 PM

Chris,

send me an email and i'll send you a DV tape of what I've got....maybe you'll have ideas on spicing it up a bit.

stevenyc1@aol.com

Kudos on this forum and the XL Watchdog- it was extremley important in the purchasing of the XL1S for me....your work doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.
Thanks.

Thomas Berg Petersen March 10th, 2002 12:38 AM

NYC - I invite other Canon DV filmmakers to share experience and ideas

Hi everyone,
I am an eager filmfan who recently have decided to live out my dream of becomming a filmmaker. I guess it runs in the family after all as my sister is a film director in Denmark and is working on her second feature film. I have a commercial background and want to pursue more of a producer role than actually a director role. But in order to get into the business I thought that it was best to get some gear, take some film classes at NYU and just start producing some stuff myself and take it from there.

I have used this forum a lot to decide what to buy and what not to buy. My plan is to buy a Apple G4 Dual 1GHz with a 17'' Studio Display, Final Cut Pro 3, a Canon XL1s PAL kit, a tripod and a decent microphone. What I am not so sure about yet is if I should go with the manual or the automatic lens. I posted a thread in the "Lens forum", and got some nice response, but I am not really convinced yet.

My plan is to buy the Apple G4 this month (March 2002) since Apple has a screensaver discount, and the camera in April. Hopefully by then Canon USA can offer the PAL version, otherwise I will just have to go and buy it in Denmark.

Anyway, I have a lot of ideas for short films, feature films and documentaries. But what I don't have is experience.

Therefore I have a proposition to every Canon DV filmmaker:

Let's get together with other film enthusiasts here in New York City. I have a great loft downtown where we could meet.

My ideas are:
- Share practical experiences
- Share information about which stuff works best and how
- How other film makers have dealt with the same problems we
currenly are facing.
- Ideas for screenplays, feature films, documentaries
- If someone knows ressourcefull people e.g. actors/actresses,
producers, co-writers, sound people, editing people etc.
- How to market and sell your film and documentaries
- We could have guest from the industry to come (It would be
great to get Steven Soderbergh to come but he may be too VIP,
but via my sister I am sure we could attract the famous danish
director: Thomas Vinterberg who shot his award-winning
feature "The Celebration" on a Sony DV to tell about his
experiences in DV film making)

In other words to build a network.

I saw that Canon has a members club, and maybe this would overlap it. But this would be more local and NGO-like.

If you think it sounds interesting, drop me an e-mail to thomas_y_b@hotmail.com.

PS. Thanks to you Chris Hurd for this awesome site!!

Best regards,
Thomas B. Petesen

John Locke March 10th, 2002 03:25 AM

Thomas,

I like it when someone learns to swim by diving in the deep end. That's the way legends are born.

I just wanted to add my two cents about one of the items on your list, the monitor. I know it's more expensive, but the Cinema display is really great for DV. It gives you a lot of working room with FCP. I've been using one for over a year now, and when I go work on another computer with a smaller screen I can't imagine how I ever got by without it.

IMHO, I'd see if your Apple Dealer has FCP set up on two different machines, one with the 17" display and one with the Cinema display and compare them before buying.

Good luck!

Thomas Berg Petersen March 10th, 2002 04:45 PM

Let get together

Hi Steve,
I am just interested in your experiences using the same set-up that I am going to buy in the very near future. I also live in NYC and have posted an invitation for other filmmakers to meet in NYC for sharing information, experiences, ideas etc.
Please check my introduction.

Best regards,
Thomas Berg Petersen

Steve Nunez March 11th, 2002 04:16 PM

Thomas I've sent you an email and would definitely be willing to join a user's group of XL users (or any cam as long as DV)...I would of course prefer to keep the group Mac based because of the various differences when using PC based desktop editing equipment- but i'd go with whatever the group's majority is....

....if anyone is interested in checking out my small 15 minute "Redtail Hawk's of NYC" project- send me your mailing address and i'd be glad to send a video off in the mail.....

have fun- you only live once!

Chris Hurd March 12th, 2002 04:07 AM

If you guys do form such a group, let me know and I'll post the details etc. on the Network page at www.dvinfo.net

Thomas Berg Petersen March 12th, 2002 10:34 PM

NYC DV user group

Thanks Chris,
I have already received some e-mails. And we are trying to get things started. I will keep you posted.
PS. I am really enjoying my new book by Robert Rodriguez: Rebel Without A Crew.
Keep up the good work!

Phil French March 15th, 2002 08:15 PM

I would have loved to be able to work on your project, but I live in western Canada. I am also very interested in bringing wildlife to video and am a new XL1s owner. It will be several weeks before our Red Tails return for theIr spring nesting and I hope to capture video of them then. Good luck on your project!

John Locke March 16th, 2002 02:22 AM

Speaking of "Rebel Without A Crew," who's got my copy now? Adrian, are you bogarting it? I think Chris is next in line to get it.

Chris Hurd March 16th, 2002 09:02 PM

No, I have it and need to send it to Guy in Houston.

John Locke March 16th, 2002 09:44 PM

Steve,

What type of lens(es) are you using to capture the red-tail hawk shots?

Steve Nunez March 18th, 2002 09:39 AM

Z-

..just using the stock lens....I have found like others, that it's sharpness/focus tends to be either spot on or just plain off....I'm not too impressed with it's sharpness and to be honest have wondered if i made a mistake in purchasing it- perhaps the PD150 would have been better suited to my wishes....the nicest thing about the XL1S is it's "presence"...it has that "Pro" look that other camcorders just don't seem to have- the fact that it has interchangeable lenses was a big plus for me......now if i can actually get out and buy some lenses then it would make sense...I hear the 16X Manual lens is razor sharp- anyone in NYC wanna lend me theirs? (just kidding)

have fun..

YL_wdlf_guy March 19th, 2002 03:44 PM

I find the irony of this posting quite humorous. I live in California on a camp owned by Young Life. During the school months, the camp functions as an out door education camp. And if your wondering what any of this has to do with videos of redtailed hawks, I'll tell you. On the premisis, we have a center affiliated with the out door education that's main project is a Peregrine falcon breeding program.
The camp owns a XL1 as well as a GL1 for the puposes of filming the Young Life summer camps. I would be interested in recieving a copy of your film, so I could show it to the Raptor Center Director and purhaps create a sequal for the peregrines that are flown in our area.

Thanks a bunch,
Dennis
YL_wdlf_guy@hotmail.com