DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hi From Los Angeles, California (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/9612-hi-los-angeles-california.html)

Christian Calson March 28th, 2002 02:57 PM

Hi From Los Angeles, California

working on a feature film length project consisting of 3 controversial shorts that deal with underground/outcast members of society. have gone into some serious debt picking up production equipment to help keep costs down. currently raising cash to start shooting mid-summer 02. if you love verow, fassbinder, and kubrick films, then good. so do i. write me if you like.

Ken Tanaka March 28th, 2002 03:39 PM

Welcome Digital Guy

I'm sure that many, if not most, of us would love to hear about your production plans and progress when you get rolling. What type of gear are you planning to use for the feature?

Christian Calson March 28th, 2002 04:58 PM

thanks for your kind words

Thanks for your kind and welcoming reply. I am working with an XL1 NTSC (trying to swap out for a PAL version, actually) with the 14x manual lens. I would love to get the 16:9 Optex lens, but it only fits on the Canon's 16x automatic. I am trying to avoid shooting with that lens since I heard not so great things about it and I like the control the manual lens gives me.

I put a grand or so into sound package consisting of a decent mic (senheiser me-80, the pre me-60) and a nice pole and ma-100. I purchased a glidecam 3000 pro and a decent mac to edit. I was a PC guy before. Got some decent lights that could use a good upgrade, but maybe not right now.

The video/film is in thirds. The first story is about a guy who gets way over his head at a bar one night when he hangs with his work buddy. The second is in part a reaction to some of the 'cruising laws' we have in west hollywood as well as a response to Pat Califa's book on Public Sex. The third is another story about a guy who's way in over his head, when he puts up an online personal ad and gets a response from an underage boy who is agressivly trying to get something started with him. The current working title is 'bareback'.

Regards,

Christian Calson
Nebunule Films

Adrian Douglas March 28th, 2002 08:26 PM

Sounds like you're pretty set up to shoot.

I'm sure you'll have some interesting experiences shooting a film on a controversial subject. LA is certainly the place, there is so much social diversity you'll have and endless source of subjects.

Good luck

John Locke March 28th, 2002 10:37 PM

Christian,

Did you write all three yourself? Sound like interesting premises.

Good luck in your shooting.

Ken Tanaka March 29th, 2002 11:15 AM

D-G,

Regardless of forum policies, I think most of us are most interested in the art and science of digital filmmaking. Whether one of our colleagues is using the tools to shoot lifestyle dramas or a remake of Gone with the Wind is immaterial. (As long as it's legal, that is <g>.) This really is a place to exchange information and ideas. We leave the flaming and bashing to other forums.

Glen Irvine March 29th, 2002 11:22 AM

Chris,

As a new user, I deeply appreciate the integrity of this message board
and those who are using it. The policy obviously works well. Congrats to
all those involved. Glen

msmithhisler March 29th, 2002 03:41 PM

Christian,

I have the utmost respect for anyone who puts their butts out on a limb (as it sounds like you have) to realize their artistic vision. Best of luck to you in your productions and let us know if we can help.

Mark Smithhisler

Christian Calson April 4th, 2002 03:18 PM

thanks

I'm kind of sticking my neck out a little for some of the stuff I'm trying to show and tell about in these stories. The more the three scipts get reworked and refined the more I struggle with issues like nudity and ratings (since, although I'm not sure a distributor will want to spend a lot on a no name director, with a no name cast, with an nc-17 or worst 'no rating' rating). Not to mention how frienly SAG and agents are about even the 'idea' of it are. Maybe I should be making violent/war movies. That would slide much easier. They have no idea how hard it is to light and write this stuff at all. I had an agent who's asst. was hysterical with me on the phone (not having read the script, but just going on the idea of what I was doing), only to have her collegue (who had read the script) come on the line to say 'it's not as nasty or raunchy as I thought.' When you're micro-budget agents just think the worst of you, without question.

As far as equipment goes, I might be adding another mic (AT-835B; I have the ME-80, already) to the production so that I don't have to worry should the one we have fail. The MA-100 has two inputs and why not use them both (for effects, stereo capture, or back-up), right? I got a bodypod attachment for the glidecam 3000 pro (which I've had for a little while). The bodypod works really well, but you do have to learn how to walk a certain way. The shots I get are pretty decent and well worth the fact I didn't spend what the going rate for the v-8, even though it would be easier on my arm and chest, in the end.

I'd really like to do a sci fi video/film, as well- in case any of you guys out there know of anything or anyone with a decent vision/idea. This sort of approaches the style/method of 'Lolita' and I'd love to do the same, where we take a feel or ground for a film and hopefully grow beyond it, with some of the stuff in 2001. The sequels 2010 and 2015 were such failures (I saw 2010) that it was more of an attempt to capitalize on a 'sort of' franchise, rather than tell a story.

I'd like to know if there any other guys out here in LA working with their equipment. I meet so many other xl-1 owners who are just selling their equipment because they don't use it that it's kind of bumming me out a little. That kind of blows, so does all the mean talk about dv and blow ing up to film. I read this huge string the other day on here where some memeber(s) really got into it. No wonder some guys just call it quits and sell their gear and move on. It's really great to hear such nice things from you guys. I wish we could connect so I could know more about what you all are doing and using to do it with. Best of luck until then.

Christian Calson
Los Angeles
NebunuleFilms@yahoo.com

Chris Hurd April 4th, 2002 03:22 PM

<< I read this huge string the other day on here where some memeber(s) really got into it. >>

Are you sure it was here? We've had some healthy debates on occasion but they've always been very civil compared to other message boards.

Christian Calson April 4th, 2002 03:35 PM

thanks Chris

I should watch my words, I guess. 'Got into it' sounds pretty heavy. Because it was pretty civil, although heated. Words in print sound very different then they would if said in person or in your mind. This really the best of the boards out there. Hence why I wrote this so quickly in response.

Regards,

Cc

Ken Tanaka April 4th, 2002 03:59 PM

Christian,
I'm betting that the "heated discussion" that you read was one concerning film -vs- video. It was...err...vigorous ;-> but civil. The really nice part about that, and other "vigorous" threads is that everyone generally learns something new from such discussions.

Re: your initiatives don't become discouraged. You are fortunate to be in a town where the very concept of visual story-telling is part of the popular culture and where resources (talent, supplies, knowledge, et.al.) are plentiful. But, in the same vein, you are also unfortunate to be in a town filled with frustration, fear, failure and safe conformity. As someone once told me many years ago, the headwinds are strongest on those in motion. My meager advice, for whatever it may be worth, is to focus every waking hour on what you -have- rather than what you need. I've seen that point of view propel people to incredible heights in other professions by keeping them from becoming defacto victims of naysayers. Suddenly you can find yourself leading rather than following.

If I was in LA I'd certainly be inclined to work on a project with ya!

Rob Lohman April 5th, 2002 07:40 AM

I can only add that I totally agree with whats being said. There
are some nice debates here and you generally learn very much.
If I look back to the time I joined (almost 6 months ago?) I've
learned very much from reading these discussion and participating
in them.

Christian, it sounds like you have enough ideas and things
todo. Good for you! If I'd lived in the US I would be very
interested in doing something together. But hey, where like
a day flying apart.

Perhaps I should consider moving to the US for a while. It has
always been a thing I wanted to do. But then I would need to
find a job somewhere.....

Phil French April 6th, 2002 03:05 PM

Welcome! I think the best thing about DV is it gives people from such a diverse set of backgrounds a medium to express themselves. We are living in a world where most of us, if we feel the inclination, can introduce the rest of the world to our experiences - no matter what they are. This is a chance for us all learn from each other. The very fact that that the people on this site do what they do tells me that you won't be under attack re: "the whole queer thing" (guidelines or not).

Good luck on what sounds like an interesting endeavour!

Nathan Gifford April 7th, 2002 08:59 AM

Watchdog does a great job here.

'Lesbian Cop Saves the World' really demonstrates how the forum approaches controversial subjects. Chris, et al, shows exactly how to handle these subjects in DV forum. I am sure this one will be handled with the same class.

I hope this forum always maintains its high quality and valauble exchange of ideas.

Nathan Gifford