Hello from Down Under! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old November 25th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey chris,

You might be ineterested in this...Have you seen Midnight Oils video clip to Power and the Passion? Well the mural they are playing in front of for most of the clip, (the one which says "A land of corporate gains") was painted by my mum!
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, that goes way, way back... to the early Eighties! Oh, the temper of the time!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #18
New Boot

Talking about classic songs, how about classic films. I just noticed the little note at the bottom of Chris Hurd's replys. Tuesday is Soylent Green Day. WOW, Soylent Green, what a classic, classic movie. The thought of a food shortage in the future forcing people to eat people. It was scary when it first come out.
Old November 27th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #19
Major Player

WHos your cousin Charles?

Josef.

If your regional its good. Im actually in Albury, on the New South Wales/Victoria border currently working for a regional Network. They have good opportunities to get in the bizz. Melbourne has too many people wanting in, with too little jobs.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #20
New Boot

Bloody Victorians! - all most as bad as NSW cockroaches :)

Hi Josef,

We seem to have moved a little of track on "dis here old tread" so just moving back quickly before jimmy Barnes comes on for his next set, I think the industry here in Oz is great, just don't expect to make a living out of it. Don't get me wrong, I think there is scope for a career but it is competitive and even being the best at what you do still puts you in a lottery for regular work. If you do manage to make a regular wage then indeed you are fortunate to be working with great people and in a great industry. I think most people in the industry have film/TV/corporate as a profession, ie they are consummate professionals with outstanding talent and love of the game, but do other work to pay the bills at one time or anther.
Don't forget to look at short film / indie work as that is a growing segment that does not have a lot of the pressure of "must not fail" attached to it as the feature/tv market seems to. As a result the cast and crew seem to be happier, try harder and really push the envelope as well as the most important part, they have a great deal of fun doing what is their passion.

So good luck to you, it can be a hard road, but in this industry its the journey that has all the adventure not the destination.

Noel

www.indiefilmsupplies.com.au
Noel Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #21
New Boot

Bloody Victorians? NSW cochroaches? Go the Mexicans.

As I am 90% actor and 10% filmmaker, when I made my first comments to this thread regarding the Australian Film industry, I was looking from an actors perspective. As an actor the quality of acting in Australia is not great. We have the talent, but they are more than often overlooked. Also the quality of our scripts is lacking. For every one great script, our industry overlooks so many quality scripts. A friend (ex professional actor and director) recently added that too often films look like a first draft.

From a technical perspective - it is obvious that Australia has talent to spare from the quality of the filming and the fact that on so many occassions we seem to be the leaders in the industry with new technologies. The beauty of being in the industry behind the camera is that you are not judged by a photo. You can create a CV that people will read. As an actor it is disheartning to know that how you look in a 6x4 glossy can determine whether or not you get a chance to show what you are capable of.

I believe that Australia has so much opportunity to be the best in this industry in the world. Unfortunately it is not open to wholesale changes that would send it forward and away from the stagnation it lives in at present. It's run but people who need to embrace a challenge, and take greater risks.

This is a great, it's getting me more motivated to complete my script.
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #22
Inner Circle

There are some great films made down there, the Matrix trilogy, one of my favorite SciFi series Farscape that had mostly OZ talent. I heard they are making the new Superman movie down there.

Do the unions have a negative effect on trying to make changes?
(I'm not anti Union, just wondering).

btw, I met some really great OZs last August at the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas. They were all volunteers helping out at just about everything. (As a near life long trek fan, that was the first one I ever went to, and I didn't wear a costume, I promise).
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yeah they do seem to like Australia for the big Hollywood films. I think Fox in Sydney was used a lot for the new Star Wars movies. And Stealth was shot here...of all places in the world, they came to the tiny rural valley (population of <200) of Megalong - where I live!! It was a treat for me, an avid film fan, to be able to stand on the biggest set of a 100-million dollar blockbuster. Pity it was a terrible film, but it was so much fun for me - plus I got to know the location manager who was a great guy. I also got to meet Dean Semlar who was DOP, which was an honor.
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Heks
Yeah they do seem to like Australia for the big Hollywood films. I think Fox in Sydney was used a lot for the new Star Wars movies. And Stealth was shot here...of all places in the world, they came to the tiny rural valley (population of <200) of Megalong - where I live!! It was a treat for me, an avid film fan, to be able to stand on the biggest set of a 100-million dollar blockbuster. Pity it was a terrible film, but it was so much fun for me - plus I got to know the location manager who was a great guy. I also got to meet Dean Semlar who was DOP, which was an honor.
Very cool indeed. Did you get to meet Jessica Biel?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #25
Regular Crew

no, but she was the main actor on the set at that time. I was standing about 2 metres from her for ages, but she was really busy getting made-up, and reading stuff. In fact, no one was talking to her! It was pretty surreal...and yes, she was lookin' good!
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Heks

Agreed, Stealth was awful. On the other hand, Mr Dean Semler is about the coolest cat working in the biz today. I had the pleasure of working for him on his directorial "debut" back many years ago. Sadly the film was a flop and was cursed with bad luck, but Mr Semler took it all in stride. I learned more as an AD on his set then I did in my previous five years in the business. It's a shame all Academy Award winners can't be as humble as Dean Semler. It's also a shame he never directed again, not counting that stupid Steven Segal movie.

Jipsi K.
Jipsi Kinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #27
Regular Crew

yeah he was really really nice. I didnt talk to him for long, but when I was introduced to him he actually was genuinely interested and very down to earth (a genuine aussie!) Actually nearly evryone I met on the set seemed really nice. Specially the fx guys.
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Anyone else out there in Darwin, Australia?

*gasp* Am I the only one???
Q
Old January 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #29
Major Player

I would almost certainly say yes......
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #30
Regular Crew

clarification

okay, right, yeah, there ARE other people in Darwin, Australia....(aren't you clever!)
I was referring to are there any other members of this forum, in Darwin, Australia.....the Great Northern Expanse, the Gateway to Asia, the Fabulous NT!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood