Hello from Down Under! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old January 12th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #31
RED Code Chef

Hi Noel and welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net! My appologies for such a late
welcome note. We're glad to have you aboard!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #32
New Boot

Film Student in Brisbane Australia

hello,

just thoguht id finally introduce myself as ive been a dedicated lurker here for a while.

Im a film student in Brisbane, Australia. This sites an amazing resource for expanding your knowledge.. that is if you can decipher half the jargon you guys write about.

I think a lot of it is probably just experience.. which will come im sure.

You'll probably see more of me in times to come.

Nice to meet you all,
Ben Outerbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #33
Regular Crew

As a fellow Brisbane local, I can tell you Ben is no tourist.

A nice presence Oz has on this site.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Oh, and Ben, welcome!
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Hey Ben,
Just wondering if you are working with actual film at your film school or are you guys using digital now?
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #36
New Boot

Hi from Australia

Hi all. I'm Brett. I've just bought a new Sony FX1 with Rode Videomike and currently have a Manfrotto monopod - tripod still to come!
I used to work for TV News in Melbourne many years ago as a links operator and VT operator as well as a VT operator in the UK for a company called Deluxe Media, but now work as an emergency services dispatcher in Ballarat.
I have just built a new PC system based on an AMD dual core processor and 2 19" widescreen monitors.
Brett Schofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #37
Wrangler

Welcome, Brett! Sounds like you're getting yourself all geared up for something. Whatever that may be, I wish you the best! Have fun!! :)
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi Brett,

Im also from Australia(Melbourne).....and have the HC1, Rode Videomic with the deadcat wind muff that all my non-film friends like to pat, and of course the Manfrotto tripod, and a kind of interesting light collection.....
Tracey Winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #39
RED Code Chef

Hi Brett, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Old June 19th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #40
New Boot

Hello from Down Under!

I'm a uni grad (Film and TV/ Communications and Cultural Studies) from Australia.

I'm currently using a Canon XL2 which I bought with my partner. I'm a narrative film person, he's into documentaries. Somehow we make it work.

I've previously shot using the Aarton 16mm camera and the DVC Pro. Love 16mm but the cost of film is prohibitively expensive. If you want to see some stills of what I've shot, check out www.dorothythemovie.com

I'm usually over at Zoetrope, but come here because it is more technically oriented.

I was a little disallusioned by the responses on this site at first. Because there is a wait as you get approved, it gave me time to have a good look through the posts. I saw a lot of great information given freely, which made me feel good about the site, but I also saw a lot of attitude, which did not.

The search function is great - I'm not knocking it - but there can be a multitude of results. Not a problem, but sometimes you haven't worded something exactly - possible because you don't know the terms or whatever. So, then, it can't hurt to ask, can it?

Apparently not.

It seems that many of the times people have asked questions, there have been a bitchy "It's in an OLD post! I can't believe someone is asking this AGAIN!"

Or, as I read in one thread, someone was told they shouldn't be using a camera because they either didn't know or were flippant about the terminology.

I understand it can be a little frustrating having people ask the same stuff all the time. But given the large number of posts on this board, cut people a little slack. The attitude is appalling.

There are some genuinely good people on this site giving out some fantastic information. Some of them even do it without snipe. I hope that when I have a question, it is answered by one of them.

Last edited by Jasmine Marie Adams; June 19th, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: got annoyed.
Jasmine Marie Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #41
Major Player

Hi Jasmine,

Good to see some fellow Melbournians on here. I think you'll find this an incredible resource, I know I have. As for the "attitude", most of those posts are made because an almost identical question has recently been asked and is often on only the 2nd page of posts in a particular thread.

Is your short film "Dorothy" online anywhere? I'd be keen to see it. You don't see much 16mm material around these days.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #42
New Boot

We're still waiting to hear back form some festivals, which tend to frown on ti being available online. I can mail you a copy, if you're local.

I'm new to Melbourne, which is going to make it interesting when it comes to shooting! I'm used to a crew of at least six...
Jasmine Marie Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #43
RED Code Chef

Jasmine: welcome aboard DV Info Net. We do our best to be a better forum (experience).

If you see a problem with a post please click on the little red triangle to report it and describe what's wrong with it.

A moderator will then look at it and see if it's a problem or not.

It's hard for the moderating team to keep up with the massive amount of posts every day!

Thanks,

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #44
Major Player

That'd be good, if you're after crew feel free to PM me. I'm finishing up my degree at the moment, but I still have a bit of spare time for extra productions.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #45
New Boot

Rob- No problem. One thing I had noticed was how absolutely MASSIVE this board it. It really is a great resource. I'm sorry if I came across a little prissy as I had just searched for an answer the a question and all I could find were people who had asked and been criticised. I do think this place is worthwhile, and nobody is outright nasty.

Mark- I am always after a crew! What are you studying? I've a project floating at the moment, trying to get off the ground for an oct/nov shoot.
Jasmine Marie Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood