DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   These Are the People in Your Neighborhood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/)
-   -   Hello from Down Under! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/these-people-your-neighborhood/96914-hello-down-under.html)

Brett Howton September 27th, 2003 07:21 PM

New XL1s user from Brisbane, Australia.

HI all. After browsing this great site for the past few weeks I figured it time to join up and make myself known!

I took the plunge only 4 weeks ago and purchased a second hand XL1s for a small nature doco I plan on making. Prior to buying the camera I had no photographic experience whatsoever beyond the disposable camera kind. And to say it's going to be a steep learning curve is an understatement! Experienced users, brace yourselves for a volley of questions over the next few coming weeks! ;o)

The collective knowledge contained on this site is unbelievable and I've learnt so much already without even needing to pick up the camera. Only a week ago I got my first 'good' footage of a bird, and was blown away by the quality when played back on the TV. And all that using everytihng auto! Well I've graduated now to fiddling with manual settings and have since been able to get some more nice stuff, though a lot of rubbish also!

Anyway, if there is anyone else here from Brisbane then I'd love to hear from you or meet up and swap ideas etc. Untill then I guess I'll be picking peoples brains from the other side of the continent!

To the owner of the site - thanks heaps for a fantastic resource.
Regards
Brett

Rob Lohman October 5th, 2003 08:14 PM

Welcome aboard Brett! It is a daunting world to get into indeed.
Especially with an XL1S running manual as I found out myself.
Gosh, the things I've learning in a year!

We learn through our failures so make a lot of them and keep
improving your skills! Good luck!

Cliff Elliott December 20th, 2003 09:48 PM

A passion for video from Somerville Australia

Hi all, I only recently discovered this forum and have to give it the big thumbs up.

My name is Cliff Elliott and I am 48 yaers old and have been invloved in film and video as a hobby since I was 16 when I purchased my first super 8 flim camera, progressed to video in 1986 when I purcased the first 8mm format Sony camera a CCD-V8EK.

Then in 1990 I purchased a Sony CCD-V200 and at about this time I started shooting weddings and editing using an Amiga 2000 computer.

In 1998 I purchased a Panasonic NVDX100 three chip camera and a new computer with Adobe Premiere and started in NLE.

I have recently just purchased a Canon XM2 and a new tripod and will be gearing up for more wedding work in the comming year.

I have also been involved in shooting a number of documentaries over seven yeras of the RACV Energy Breakthrough, which is an event held at Maryborough in middle Victoria Australia.

The centerpeice for the event is a twenty four hour continous race of human powered vehicles, the race is made up of teams of students from schools all over the country approximatly 20,000.

What I do is follow one school each year and record all of the training leading up to the event as well as the drama of the race, it is exciting stuff.

I also shoot school concerts and other sporting events, I am presntly shooting a Rowing season for a local school.

Thank you to every one involved with this list as it gives a person the ability to communicate with a broad group of people from all over the world who share a similar passion.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Rob Lohman December 24th, 2003 01:54 PM

Welcome aboard Cliff! Good to have you with us. Looks like you
are doing quite a lot of shooting and working with video. Nice!

Good luck with your future products and let us know in the "DV
for the Masses" forum when you have something to show on
the web!

Cliff Elliott December 25th, 2003 04:58 AM

DV for the masses

Thanks Rob, a question, what is DV for the Masses?
I had a quick look around the DVi Community site and could not find a reference to it.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Rob Lohman December 25th, 2003 05:14 PM

DV for the Masses is a forum here. Follow the link
I just made earlier here or see our main index

Cliff Elliott December 26th, 2003 04:22 AM

Thank You

Thanks Rob, I will have a look, although I may have a problem viewing them over the internet as I only use a 56k modem at home here.

When I get back to work later in January I will try our broadband conection to have a look at some of the productions listed.

I just had a thought, every time I wrap up a final edit I run off a MPEG1 file as well as a DV tape and DVD, I would be happy to send you a couple of Cds with some of my work on in MPEG1 format to see if they would be suitable for your site.

One small problem is the length of my videos they are half hour and one hour productions.

If you are interested just let me know what your postal address is and I will despatch them tis week.

Thanks again, Cliff Elliott

Frank Granovski December 26th, 2003 06:03 AM

Quote:

I may have a problem viewing them over the internet as I only use a 56k modem at home here.
You have me beat! I only use a 33.6 modem and it usually connects at 31K, something like that. I have no problems with these forums at that speed---lightning fast!

Cliff Elliott December 27th, 2003 05:29 AM

Over the internet

Hi Frank, I must say I assumed the DV for the masses was designed for broadband but after your post I did a few tests and now understand how it works, thanks.

By the way Rob, my appolagies, I now find I also misunderstood the way things work relating to videos for DV for the masses.

I assumed yet again "I have to stop assuming" that there was a central site where the videos were deposited, but now understand the individuals showing off their work do so via their own web sites.

Thanks, Cliff Elliott

Noel Fleck November 22nd, 2005 08:19 AM

Brisbane Australia

Hi all,
Thought I would say hi and introduce myself.
I have been a professional camera operator for 16 years shooting mostly on SP and digi. After exploring the quality of the xl1 for a few years I jumped in with the xl2 and a mini35. I am keen to push the limits of the kit in a story telling sense, so I have decided to set up a site to help local indie film makers by renting out my kit at rates that basically cover my costs and allow me to upgrade to HD as it rolls out.
So to all the local folks in OZ if you have an idea for a shoot let me know and we will hopefully be able to do something together, maybe even in the next dvinfo video competition!

If any body out there has some time I would really like to know if my site works ok on different platforms and browsers particularly the mac and aol browsers.
site is http://www.indiefilmsupplies.com.au
Let me know what you think as it is my first crack at a web site.

So if you are around the South East Queensland area drop me a line and we can perhaps catch up for a beer!

Thanks
Noel

Josef Heks November 24th, 2005 07:05 PM

Im from Australia...is that good or bad?

Hi,

Im an 18yo guy from Australia, about 2 hours from Sydney. (A rural area called Megalong Valley near the Blue Mountains if anyone knows that).

There seems to be quite a few "aussies" at this forum, and I was just interested to know how you feel about our film industry. I know it keeps getting bagged out, but I also read that there's actually nothing wrong with it (and there's been multiple pretty successfull films this year). So Im a bit confused..and this concerns me because Im at Uni, studying film (media arts communication degree) and want to know that there may be some work on the other end. Im not entirely sure what field I want to persue yet because I find it all very involving, though a dream would be directing i think. I acknowledge though that I may have to start very low, and I am very willing to do this.

Ron Kofler November 24th, 2005 09:47 PM

Hey Josef,
Ron from Melbourne here - 43 yo. I've had many discussions with friends re the Aussie industry. Pretty much most of my friends like myself and my lovely lady are actors, directors, lighting and sound gurus. We do so much community theatre because the industry doesn't want to accept us. I have had the pleasure to work with some of the most talented actors in Australia, yet they are no longer persuing a professional career because they are no longer in the younger age bracket. A friend of my was very heavy into fighting the free trade agreement because he said that it would destroy our personal identity. I believed that we had lost it many years ago. Turn on the TV in prime time and we will see American show followed by American show. The only Aussie shows will be Neighbours or Home and Away which most will agree are far from quality television, highly successful, but far from quality. The Australian Industry has such a good opportunity to be a leader, but those who make decisions will always give money to people who are known to make crap like "You and You're Dumb Mate" and at the same time they turn away unknown people who have a great idea like "SAW". No second prizes for guessing which movie made more money and was more successful in all areas? You said that you have read that there is nothing really wrong with our industry. Correct - if you believe everything that you read. I am not sure what sort of success this years films really had, but last year the top 5-6 films in Australia only managed to make approx 3-4 million at the box office total. SAW I think made over 100 million. Our industry doesn't trully support its people and we as audience don't support our industry. We could make the best movie ever and it would still fail against a poor American film if that film has a star. We support overseas films - not our own.

I am currently writting a film script. When it's complete I intend to source funds, actors, crew, etc on my own. I might find it hard going, I might not succeed, and it might not be 100% perfect quality, but I will know that I didn't have to rely on a stale industry to make me feel like a reject.

Wow - it must that time of the month. I am ranting and raving, must be the after effects of the dog bite.

Finish uni and then be as pushy as you can to get where you want to be. If they are not interested, then go solo, you'll probably get a better end result.

Matt Brabender November 25th, 2005 04:06 AM

So how do you think other side of the industry compares to the major & international film scene. That is, corporate, advertising, events video etc...

Do you think there's that similar struggle to break into the industry and make a (comfortable) living from camera op / editing / producing / whatever? and the struggle to maintain what is gained?
Or are there too many people wanting the same job with no one willing to pay what it deserves?

Chris Hurd November 25th, 2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josef Heks
There seems to be quite a few "aussies" at this forum.

That's very true. I have no idea why this is, but I'm very happy that DV Info Net has earned its appeal to a worldwide audience. In addition to Australia we're also fairly popular in other English- or mostly English-speaking countries, such as the British Isles, Canada and New Zealand. Early on in the history of this board, I let on that I am a huge fan of the Oils, and that may have been part of the draw which initially brought in the first Aussies around here, I don't know. Glad to have with us every last one of you, anyway.

Charles Papert November 25th, 2005 12:33 PM

See, and I thought it was because my cousin plays cricket for Victoria.