Film Group Meeting - Greater Toronto Area at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Film Group Meeting - Greater Toronto Area

Hi,

I have access to a space... (a pottery studio actually) on Sunday & Monday nights. It's located near Vaughn Mills Mall, is reasonably large and would be a great place to meet and discuss each others projects, test out equipment, or even have screenings.

I've just moved back from Los Angeles where I lived for 20 years. I own my own HVX, Brevis 35mm adaptor, various nikon lens, a couple of lighting kits and some audio equipment. I would love the opportunity to meet with other people who have the same passion for filmmaking that I do. I'm hoping that there is enough interest to make this a regular thing.

If you are interested, please post your interest here. If we can get a large enough group, I would love to start these gatherings sometime later this month.

Thanks.

Jiovanni
Jiovanni Iacoviello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the forum, Jiovanni,

You might find a greater response in the "These people are in your Neigborhood" category of the forum. Another resource would be Mandy.com, MeetUp.com and even Craigslist would all be great places to create a group of locals to "meet up" and share info.

Mostly the people that browse this category are looking for troubleshooting, "how to" tips, reviews etc not necessarily formimg groups outside of the forum, so the above suggestions might do well for your intent.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
New Boot

any luck

i'm looking to meet up with like minded HVXers in Toronto as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiovanni Iacoviello View Post
Hi,

I have access to a space... (a pottery studio actually) on Sunday & Monday nights. It's located near Vaughn Mills Mall, is reasonably large and would be a great place to meet and discuss each others projects, test out equipment, or even have screenings.

I've just moved back from Los Angeles where I lived for 20 years. I own my own HVX, Brevis 35mm adaptor, various nikon lens, a couple of lighting kits and some audio equipment. I would love the opportunity to meet with other people who have the same passion for filmmaking that I do. I'm hoping that there is enough interest to make this a regular thing.

If you are interested, please post your interest here. If we can get a large enough group, I would love to start these gatherings sometime later this month.

Thanks.

Jiovanni
Alex Hatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Robert,

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time. I will definitely give those a try.

Jiovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Welcome to the forum, Jiovanni,

You might find a greater response in the "These people are in your Neigborhood" category of the forum. Another resource would be Mandy.com, MeetUp.com and even Craigslist would all be great places to create a group of locals to "meet up" and share info.

Mostly the people that browse this category are looking for troubleshooting, "how to" tips, reviews etc not necessarily formimg groups outside of the forum, so the above suggestions might do well for your intent.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Alex,

I'm still hoping we can get more people involved, but I'm glad you posted. I'll keep you informed and hope these get togethers can still happen. Thanks for being the first to show any interest.

Jiovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hatz View Post
i'm looking to meet up with like minded HVXers in Toronto as well.
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Trustee

I think your choice of resticting your group to only one cam could be the problem. If your interested in meeting like minded film makers, what does the cam have to do with "passion for filmmaking"?
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ken,

That wasn't my intention at all. That's why I posted HVX/Film Group. Now that you've mentioned it though, I see how that could have been confusing. I really wanted to start a film group regardless of equipment owned. In fact, even if you don't own equipment. The only reason I posted in the HVX section was because that is what I own. Of course it would be nice to meet other HVX owners, but that certainly was not a requirement. I just wanted the opportunity for people who wanted to make films to have a chance to meet and exchange ideas and knowledge. I hope more people will show an interest now. Thanks for giving me the chance to clarify.

Jiovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson View Post
I think your choice of resticting your group to only one cam could be the problem. If your interested in meeting like minded film makers, what does the cam have to do with "passion for filmmaking"?
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Starting a film group - Greater Toronto Area

Hi,

I've just moved back from Los Angeles where I lived for 20 years. I own my own HVX200, Brevis 35mm adaptor, various nikon lens, a couple of lighting kits, a kessler crane and some audio equipment. I would love the opportunity to meet with other people who have the same passion for filmmaking that I do. I'm hoping that there is enough interest to make this a regular thing.

Thanks.

Jiovanni
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Sounds interesting. I'd love to see how my HVR-V1U looks with a Brevis 35mm adapter. Aside from that and some sound equipment, I have some Arri lights.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #10
New Boot

I would be interested too Jiovanni.

I have a Canon A1 with M2 Adapter and use Nikon Lenses.

I have a full time gig as the head of a software company but would love to make some short films as a hobby.

I am a quick study but let me know if you would rather have members with a rich experience in film making.
Frank Pitsikalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey. I am busy videographer/filmstudent in TO. I own a Canon A1, M2adaptrer and some other neat stuff. Here is my site.

www.notomatofilms.com
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

It's great to see there is some interest. I think everyone could benefit from this kind of gathering. I currently have two other people on another users group who are also interested. With the three of you here, that makes 6 of us. I hope we can get more people, but I think that's a pretty good start.

I'd like to get a consensus on what night works best for people. I can get the space Mondays and Sundays. Which do you prefer? Let me know and I'll pick a date for the first meeting and get back to everyone. Thanks.
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Major Player

I live in Mississauga but go to uni for film in Toronto, I've got an A1 and I'm down for to help out and take part in whatever group is formed.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

That's great Evan. That makes six people that have responded so far. I'm going to give it another week to see if we can get a few more people, then I'll try to get a consensus on which night works best for people. I've already had two people tell me Monday nights work best. How does everyone else feel? Sunday, or Monday?

Jiovanni
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #15
New Boot

Hey Jiovanni,

I think we met on another board! Still interested!

Simone
Simone Maurice is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood