The SUN! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old May 30th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #1
High School Student

The SUN!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/212104/thesun.jpg

Heh, you can tell i'm bored.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Alex,
You may be bored, but if you keep playing around with shooting directly into the sun without appropriate solar filters you may end up blind in whatever eye you use for the viewfinder. Just think, then you can use your spare time to learn Braile. And then you can apply that new knowledge to developing stick-on Braile icons for video equipment. Then you could be a millionaire. Wow, you are one lucky dude Alex.

Take care man, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

Somehow I don't think the image of the sun in the LCD viewfinder will do much damage to your eye. In fact, I always used to laugh at the old Star Trek series when a sun went supernova, or a Klingon ship expoded... the crew would all get blinded by the display screen. But I guess that was some sort of 22nd century holographic super-bright display.

You might damage your CCD's if a decent filter isn't used however. But I've been shooting the sun myself and haven't damaged either my eyes or camera (yet ;-)

FWIW, I like those shots Alex. And it sure beats getting in trouble at the mall...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:14 PM   #4
High School Student

Yeah, you can't blind yourself by looking at the viewfinder, theres a limit to how bright it can get, unless it's a optical viewfinder.

I'm not to worried about frying the CCD, either. I shot a welding arc before, without any ND filters, and my camera was fine, that time I used 2 ND filters, and both times I didn't leave it pointed at the sun/arc for more then 20 seconds... If you leave the camera sit there for maybe a minute, pointed at the sun, without any ND filters, then it probably will mess up the CCD(s)...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:21 AM   #5
Major Player

I stand corrected (possibly). Using an electronic viewfinder may not be a safety problem when shooting the sun. Aiming the cam at the sun and getting an unintentional unprotected blast certainly is a safety problem. But then again, real pros never have to look at anything except the VF, huh ("tongue-in-cheek", "wink-wink").

Oh Yes, for the sake of accuracy, Braille has two "l's". I was temporarily blinded by the CRT and missed that.

Happy viewing gentlemen, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media