Cells, PMPs, and iPhones -Anyone going backwards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Cells, PMPs, and iPhones -Anyone going backwards?

With iPhones and MP3 players all the rage is anyone going backwards?

I think I am, December of this year my T-Mobile plan (see crap in the dictionary) expires. What then, new iPhone? NO!!!! I am saving myself the money and going backwards. If you can't reach me on my blog, website, forum, email, IM, or on my work phone, jeez!!! -TOO BAD. After a study of how much I actually use my Blackberry and spend on service, I realized I DON'T use it that much at all. So why go blow $xxx, then $xx or $xxx per month? This saves me well over $1200 a year!!! I think I'll appreciate face to face conversations more after this, LOL.... Another solution is the pre-paid and get the cheapest service, for emergencies only.

Are you in a similar situation or have been?

For a production study btw

Last edited by Marco Wagner; September 6th, 2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
Marco Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Major Player

But the iphone is not about making and receiving calls... it's about surfing the web wherever, whenever you want. It's about using the Google maps feature to check on traffic or find the phone number of the pro audio store you were on your way to until a tire pops...
It's about seeing cool videos on Youtube, or music videos, tv shows or movies downloaded via itunes. Listening to music. Checking stocks (I bought my iphone with proceeds from AAPL!). Taking great pictures, then emailing them to the director of the movie you're working on.
And, of course, pocket calculator!
You can make and receive calls, but all you have to do is hit a button and it goes to your visual voicemail!
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Trustee

oh i'm well aware of it

Yes, I know about it's features and yada yada. It's only in the news or web or TV every day. My thread is not an iPhone bash, I think it's great for those who's purpose it serves. Heck I'd probably get one if (when) it's $39.99 like the rest of the cell phones in the pile.

My question is out of curiosity, has anyone found themselves going backward in this area and what their reason would be. The first part of the question was just a leader, not by means a bash toward PMPs and cool gadgets, heck I'm an IT person -the faster, smaller, cooler, less power, wider screen etc -the better!

I'm just slightly tired of carrying something around I barely use. I'd like to see if others are about to ditch their phone (regardless of any usual hype)and their story. :-) I can communicate, I think, and will find out, without the need. It will be interesting.

BUT - you've just helped me, the first to list a lot of goodies that KEEPS a person stuck on these devices -communication and entertainment. Thank you. But at what point does this start to harm us, or has it already. I'm gathering data on this for a short, btw. LOVE the "emailing them to the director..." part!
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Haven't "gone backwards" re cell phone etc yet, although there are days I think I should.

But I do still prefer to use my slide rule instead of a calculator!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Major Player

I ditched my Sidekick. If you what that is, it's this cellphone/pda thing that unfolds with a full qwerty keyboard, web browser, text message and other features. Paris Hilton has one, not that that's what got me to buy one.

I got rid of largely because it was too big! Particularly, too thick - it was having something the size of a coffee mug in my pocket. If I wore it on my belt, it stuck out so much it got snagged on everything.

The whole phone/pda/video player combo has this problem: if it's small enough to be a convenient mobile phone, it's too small as a pda (much less video player). Big enough for a pda is too big for a phone.

I also where are people standing when they use all these functions? If you're on a plane, or waiting somewhere fine. If I'm home, I'd be using my desktop for that.

If I was driving, I'd KEEP MY EYE ON THE ROAD!
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #6
Trustee

For years a carried a small but beautiful leather bound notebook I bought from a stationary store on Central Park South in NYC.

It had everything I needed in it - and it never "died." So for years I resisted the PDA thing.

Then one day I lost it. And lost EVERYTHING in it forever.

Now my single unbreakable rule for a phone, or PDA or whatever is that it MUST have the most seamless and automatic backup mode possible. If I lose it, I want to be able to buy a replacement and via wire or bluetooth or whatver, have the new unit mirror the state of the old one ACCURATELY and INSTANTLY.

That is worth money to me.

BTW, yep I've got an iPhone now. Because it does just that (through .mac elegantly, easily, and FLAWLESSLY!) It also doesn't hurt that I'm now down from traveling with two or three devices (cel phone, PDA, iPod) to ONE that does everything really, really well.

But the backup protection and information sharing thing is the real key. Worth WAY more than the cost of the device in peace of mind.

YMMV.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #7
Wrangler

I'm just going to get rid of my cell phone altogether, and just carry a roll of quarters in my pocket... to use for payphones of course!
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I'm just going to get rid of my cell phone altogether, and just carry a roll of quarters in my pocket... to use for payphones of course!
LOL yer such a smart arse, LOL
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Major Player

In Toronto you'd have to carry more quarters ... they just doubled the cost of pay phones. And they sure seem harder to find

As for going backwards: Never had a iPhone, any kind of PDA, PSP and my cell phone, which I only carry on long trips, doesn't flip up, doesn't have video ..

If I went backwards, I would have to carry a chisel and a rock
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media