iPod Classic question (concercing watching Video) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle

iPod Classic question (concercing watching Video)

I have ordered a new 80gb iPod Classic (my first iPod, actually... my first Apple product, actually...) and I'm now - in the waiting process - busy with encoding a couple of my movies to the iPod format.

I have a question: if you encode an anamorphic 1.85 movie, will you see it letterboxed on your iPod screen, so with the black bars?
Or do you see it anamorphically streched, thus filling the complete 4/3 screen of the iPod?

And in the same manner: when encoding a movie with aspect ratio 2.35, what will I see?

I encode with Handbreake (great quality I'm getting for sound and picture!) and I always use 'Keep Aspect Ratio'...

Anyone can advice? I could just wait untill the iPod arrives, but that will be in more then a week (likely) and I want to know some things, while I'm encoding already...

Thanks!

EDIT: and another little question, out of curiousity... if you DON'T synch all your content from your iTunes library with your iPod, and do it all manually, can you still on the iPod search via Album, Genre, Artist,...?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Major Player

With its 4:3 iPods Apple slows down the progress. I thought that iPod Touch was a step in the right direction, but its native view seems to be the same 4:3, though, according to Apple's ad, it can switch to letterbox with a press of a button.

BTW, can you upload your own videos in DivX/XVID/MOV format to iPod, or you can only buy stuff from iTunes?
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Major Player

On my G5 30gig video you need to render it 4:3 letterboxed.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev View Post
With its 4:3 iPods Apple slows down the progress. I thought that iPod Touch was a step in the right direction, but its native view seems to be the same 4:3, though, according to Apple's ad, it can switch to letterbox with a press of a button.

BTW, can you upload your own videos in DivX/XVID/MOV format to iPod, or you can only buy stuff from iTunes?
If I'm correct you can encode your own stuff to H.264 (with extension .m4v), and with the right resolution, you should be able to play it on your iPod...
I use Handbreake for this, free program, great quality, fairly long render although not un-doable (like 2 hours for a 2 hour film...)
I first rip my dvd's (legally bought) with DVD Shrink, and then I can render these files with Handbreake to the iPod format. (I work on PC, not on a Mac)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Your videos will display in the correct aspect ratio. Whether you've encoded in 16:9, 2.35:1, or whatever ratio, it'll display correctly on the screen.

Also, you can still search by artist, genre, etc. even if you don't sync your library.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
Your videos will display in the correct aspect ratio. Whether you've encoded in 16:9, 2.35:1, or whatever ratio, it'll display correctly on the screen.

Also, you can still search by artist, genre, etc. even if you don't sync your library.
Thanks Chris!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media