Airline baggage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 11th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #1
Wrangler

Airline baggage

How tight are airlines when it comes down to size requirements for baggage?
I'm flying United and they say the maximum size is 62" of h+w+l. I found an awsome piece of luggage that works out to about 68". It's awsome because most of that is length so I can fit my tripod inside it, and not have to carry that as an extra bag.

Anyway, do they actually measure your bags when you check them, or as long as it isn't something ridiculously large, are you OK?

Thanks
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I don't think they will measure them, but it has to fit in the
overhead compartment I think?? Not sure on this. Perhaps
you can shorten the bag a bit?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If you're talking about carryon FORGET IT! 21 or 22 inches is the MAX length. PERIOD! For checked bags they might not measure with a tape but the do have a jig or template and might charge you extra for an oversize bag.
Oh yeah now I remember, carry on is limited to something like 22X15X9-must fit either overhead OR under the seat in front of you.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #4
Air China Pilot

Don't forget that they may ask you to turn the stuff on to prove that it isn't a bomb. So when you pack everything in just perfectly they may ask you to bring it all out again.

Never mind that you could create a bomb small enough so that the electronics masking it ... never mind.
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #5
Major Player

The better question is - how much do they charge for oversize (and that includes weight!) baggage. If it is reasonable, I wouldn't worry about it. The worst thing that will happen is that you end up paying a few bucks. If it is expensive then I might look for a different bag.

That's for bigger planes. Keep in mind that for smaller planes if you are oversize/weight it may not go at all. It was a real trick to get all our gear up to the Cape York Peninsula in Australia....
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Major Player

http://www.packinglight.com/html/car...uirements.html

http://www.allcases.com/airReg.asp

You might find these pages interesting.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #7
Wrangler

Guys, my question is concerning checked luggage, not carry on.
I believe the charge for an oversized bag is $80us EACH WAY. F-ing expensive if I get caught going a little over.

Got the Porta-Brace Quick Draw as my carry on bag.
FWIW, Maximum carry on size for United is 45" of L+W+H, but the max of any one dimension can only be 22", as Don correctly pointed out.
Old June 13th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #8
Major Player

So, $80 is outrageous and has to factor into your decision. Other airlines only charge $15-$25, so may be ok if you get caught now and then. That said, I have never seen a ruler used on checked bags but see people dinged on the weight penalty nearly every time I fly these days.

If the bag is not obviously oversize in a dimension then it may not attract their attention. Even on the carry-on. United uses these dimension scales but they don't catch length so I see people get by with 24" as long the other dimensions are reasonable.

Airlines have started getting a LOT more picky though. If I have any doubts about size at all I make sure there is nothing in it that can't be checked. I even ended up getting a new carry-on to be on the safe side.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #9
Wrangler

OK, I'm going to risk it with the checked bag. If it's too big, I'll just stomp on it unit it meets the minimum size limit. :)
Cameras will not be in it of course.
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #10
Trustee

I fly an awful lot and the only thing they really pay attention to is weight apart from the obvious. Both my carry on bags are marginally oversized and I've never been challenged. I fly 2 or 3 long hauls a month.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media