So I was at circuit city watching a blue ray...(talk about ruin a movie) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 19th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #1
New Boot

So I was at circuit city watching a blue ray...(talk about ruin a movie)

They were playing Pirates of The Caribbean...and while the picture quality was outstanding....the motion was no longer the "movie look" or smooth like 24p. (The movie was on a 50" HD-LCD)

It literally looked like I was watching an episode of survivor, it looked like someone filmed it with a handycam camcorder(motion wise)

I don't know if its cause it did some type of conversion or what, but when I told the employee about it and questioned him he didn't know jack of course, and you could plainly see a TV next to it playing another movie, had the nice dark tones, and smooth film motion.

Even transformers on the HD-DVD looked like an episode of Fear Factor, the ENTIRE movie experiance was flat out gone, and the CG and green screen effects stuck out so bad it ruined the movie more than losing the film motion.

Anyone else notice this? If not, check it out.
Davo Abear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from AVCHD to TOTEM.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Only two things can cause this:

Low reaction time

or

DSP Interpolated frames (Phillips' Pixel Plus does this turning lower framerates into higher framerates.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelplus
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Wrangler

I saw this too and was fascinated as it looked like nothing I'd ever seen. Apparently Sony calls it "Motion Flow", and it is a result of a true 24 frame progressive display (so no pulldown) at 120kHz, rather than 60.

It looked odd to me because it was so different, definitely not the usual look of 24 fps material but also not the same as 60i. Almost a 3D effect! It would be interesting to see good HD-originated material on this type of display also--probably eye-popping (for better or worse)
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Ah, so 120HZ might be another culprit... It could be native 24p since 24x5=120. But it's still all about the reaction time to get every of the 120 frames per second displayed in full.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Yesterday I saw two 120 Hz TVs, one by Sony another by Samsung. It so happened that there were two Sony TVs standing beside playing the same movie. The picture on the 120 Hz TV looked like video! Well, I guess it is fluid, but the whole experience was ruined. At 120 Hz the movie looked like home-made video. Ew.

Interestingly, people around were comparing colors and picture detail but could not see difference in motion.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
DSP Interpolated frames (Phillips' Pixel Plus does this turning lower framerates into higher framerates.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelplus
That's what Pixelplus does?

I have a Philips HDTV with Pixelplus, and I've noticed odd things on certain shows (Grey's Anatomy), but I've never thought that Pixelplus could be the culprit. I'll try turning it off and watching some TV and reporting back.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM   #8
Major Player

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpan...r4/index1.html

Quote:
Converting a 1080p/60 or 1080p/24 source to 1080p/120 requires simulating the additional frames in some way, since they are not in the source. There are three ways to do this: interpolation of new frames, repeating the original frame multiple times, or making every other repeated frame a black frame. Motionflow creates these addition frames by the first method—temporal interpolation.
All I can say: Ew! Does not look like a movie at all, looks like daytime soap. But maybe we will get accustomed to this look like we got accustomed to 24 fps?

The good thing is that Motion Enhancer can be turned off.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
That's what Pixelplus does?

I have a Philips HDTV with Pixelplus, and I've noticed odd things on certain shows (Grey's Anatomy), but I've never thought that Pixelplus could be the culprit. I'll try turning it off and watching some TV and reporting back.
I saw a PixelPlus TV that turned 25p into 50p creating interpolated frames that made the image "video-like". The cadence is obviously not the same between that on and off.
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #10
Major Player

I've never liked the stuttery motion of 24p. I like the other qualities of film, but not the temporal motion. Smooth motion means I can enjoy the movie rather than fighting a headache.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media