DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   5.1 audio out of my pc - driving me nuts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/108541-5-1-audio-out-my-pc-driving-me-nuts.html)

John Hewat November 22nd, 2007 01:11 AM

5.1 audio out of my pc - driving me nuts

How the heck do I get my pc to output 5.1 audio whilst watching a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD or even just a regular old DVD??

It only detects 2ch speakers when using the digital connection (SPDIF - Coaxial and Optical).

My Asus A8N 32 SLI motherboard has onlboard 7.1 sound capabilities but it's only outputting 2 channels despite the discs having 5.1 (or even 7.1) channels.

How the heck do I fix this? I've tried everything, even installing my old Creative Audigy 2ZS, which also failed.

Any help?

Jack Zhang December 15th, 2007 04:28 AM

SPDIF is not capable of 7.1, you'll need a whole stack of PC speakers and turn off SPDIF to get 7.1, but to make it capable of 5.1 over SPDIF, you need to change the audio setting in your software player (PowerDVD or WinDVD) to the SPDIF output. Also check that the AC3 SPDIF and if it's there, DTS SPDIF is checked/enabled in your sound card driver settings.

John Hewat December 15th, 2007 04:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 792864)
SPDIF is not capable of 7.1, you'll need a whole stack of PC speakers and turn off SPDIF to get 7.1, but to make it capable of 5.1 over SPDIF, you need to change the audio setting in your software player (PowerDVD or WinDVD) to the SPDIF output. Also check that the AC3 SPDIF and if it's there, DTS SPDIF is checked/enabled in your sound card driver settings.

Thank you so much for your help! However, I'm still at a loss.

I've definitely enabled SPDIF in Power DVD Ultra and in the main Realtek AC'97 volume settings.

When it comes to applying the SPDIF in the driver settins I'm sort of at a loss though.

When I click on the device driver in Device Manager, I get as far as the Realtek SC'97 Audio Properties, which enable me to Use or not Use the device or Do Not map through the device - whatever the heck that means...

The most promising button, the Properties button is "greyed out" and cannot be clicked...

Can you advise me any further on this? I'd really appreciate it as I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money on my Blu-Ray & HD DVD drives...

EDIT:

I just looked in the INFORMATION tab of Power DVD Ultra and found that neither the SPDIF not the Realtek AC'97 Audio is apparently being used at all...

I've attached a screenshot of this as well, but I've no idea how to fix it because my Audio Options are "greyed out" in this program too!

Jack Zhang December 15th, 2007 05:29 AM

Install a new driver from the ASUS site, hopefully it'll come with software to control the SPDIF output. If there's no software and only a driver, go into your volume control and there should be a advanced button under the master volume. Click it, and if something says SPDIF or digital speaker is unchecked, check it.

John Hewat December 15th, 2007 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 792880)
Install a new driver from the ASUS site, hopefully it'll come with software to control the SPDIF output. If there's no software and only a driver, go into your volume control and there should be a advanced button under the master volume. Click it, and if something says SPDIF or digital speaker is unchecked, check it.

The driver seems to be up to date, and I've tried to fiddle with the SPDIF audio volume hundreds of times but guess what... every volume control I want is available but... sure enough, SPDIF is greyed out and unalterable. That said, the volume is at about 80% and is not muted.

Within the stupid ASUS software that came with the motherboard, SPDIF is enabled as well.

I am so over this... I wish it were simple...

Jack Zhang December 16th, 2007 03:16 AM

Update/reinstall the driver again, if that doesn't work, uninstall your old soundcard's driver as it still lingers around.

For the SPDIF being greyed out, that's normal since Digital audio retain's it's original volume when output. (unless you change the master volume in 2 channel mode.)

Check in Volume control for the advanced button under the master volume. Please provide a screenshot of the "Advanced controls for volume control" window.

John Hewat December 16th, 2007 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 793386)
Update/reinstall the driver again, if that doesn't work, uninstall your old soundcard's driver as it still lingers around.

Did that already. Even did a system restore back to before I installed the Audigy Sound Card.

Quote:

For the SPDIF being greyed out, that's normal since Digital audio retain's it's original volume when output. (unless you change the master volume in 2 channel mode.)

Check in Volume control for the advanced button under the master volume. Please provide a screenshot of the "Advanced controls for volume control" window.
Well, since I updated the drivers, the "Advanced Controls" is also greyed out. I can't believe it.

Jack Zhang December 17th, 2007 02:29 AM

I can't think of anything else to solve this but to get another soundcard. And if that doesn't work, then your PC just isn't capable of it.

John Hewat December 17th, 2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 793921)
I can't think of anything else to solve this but to get another soundcard. And if that doesn't work, then your PC just isn't capable of it.

Well, I have no idea how or why or what happened exactly but it has started working!

I honestly couldn't tell you what, but your advice obviously pointed me in the right direction and I cannot thank you enough!

You have ended weeks of turmoil!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!