DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   DV Info Community vs. 2-Pop, the winner is DV Info! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/10873-dv-info-community-vs-2-pop-winner-dv-info.html)

Heath McKnight June 15th, 2003 12:24 PM

DV Info Community vs. 2-Pop, the winner is DV Info!

Guys and gals,

Four years ago +, I took the digital plunge and bought and XL-1 and a blue and white G3 (FCP wasn't out yet, but I bought it soon after). I was GREEN!

Back then, no one thought Apples or FCP was good, no one thought digital was viable (my former film teacher called me an idiot when I said Lucas will probably shoot digital on Star Wars 2), and Promax had maybe 15 employees, including the receptionist. It was there a chap named Jerry told me about the new 2-Pop (I think it was new) for FCP and Premiere. And since I hated Premeire 5.1 but loved my new FCP 1.0, I jumped on. Man, they were great!

It's changed a lot, and I still go there, but I don't go into the forums. Why? Because it seems to be run by kids who just seem to want to flame or just post the dumbest things I've ever read! I tried posting my XL-1 for sale and I got stupid replies. Here, I got a sale!

Also, I'm addicted to the forums, and love to throw my input in all the time, from how much I hate re-re-re-issued DVDs to the new JVC HD10s (I'm there most of of all) to editing issues. Thanks, all, for staying professional and keeping the integrity here.

heath
filmmaker
www.mpsdigital.com

Frank Granovski June 15th, 2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

it seems to be run by kids who just seem to want to flame or just post the dumbest things I've ever read!
Exactly. Some of the kids over at 2-pop also make darn sure that they copy and paste all of their posts for dv.com and even elsewhere. Going to 2-poop and dv.cam reminds me of my student teaching days, and teaching the children's martial arts classes---except that with the martial art classes, the kids were scared of me, so they behaved themselves. :)

Josh Bass June 15th, 2003 01:15 PM

Speaking of Dv.com, what's up with that forum? Are all the members retarded monkeys (no offense to any retarded monkeys on this board)? I've seen posts that never get answered.

Heath McKnight June 15th, 2003 01:31 PM

I'm over 2-Pop; I even told them to grow up, as this industry is a revolving door. It took me years to assemble what I consider an impressive film/video/TV resume, and I don't intend on passing along my knowledge to some two-bit kids. I was 13 when I started in film via video (almost 14 years ago, I'm getting old), and I was mature, asked a lot of questions and LISTENED. Of course, I didn't really start learning until I got into college, making my own films and TV news, but...

heath

Chris Hurd June 15th, 2003 03:57 PM

Thanks for the props; the reason why we're better is due to intelligent moderation by a dedicated and talented group of forum leaders who are commited to the mission here, which in turn attracts the type of members we're seeking: those fellow creative types who are interested in friendly, intelligent discussion about digital video technology and methodology (and who aren't afraid to give their real names, which is a big deal to us).

Although we're always open to kids and to folks who are brand new to DV, our focus is going to be shifting very soon toward the more professional end-user. That market is currently not being served very well, whereas there's an existing glut of online forums already out there for the kids and the newbies.

Ultimately we're just trying to give the internet a good name. Many thanks,

Heath McKnight June 15th, 2003 04:04 PM

You have, Chris. 2-Pop and others are screwed. I'm glad I'm a pro so I can stay here. And good idea keeping the anonymous or nickname tags out.

heath

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Thanks for the props; the reason why we're better is due to intelligent moderation by a dedicated and talented group of forum leaders who are commited to the mission here, which in turn attracts the type of members we're seeking: those fellow creative types who are interested in friendly, intelligent discussion about digital video technology and methodology (and who aren't afraid to give their real names, which is a big deal to us).

Although we're always open to kids and to folks who are brand new to DV, our focus is going to be shifting very soon toward the more professional end-user. That market is currently not being served very well, whereas there's an existing glut of online forums already out there for the kids and the newbies.

Ultimately we're just trying to give the internet a good name. Many thanks, -->>>

Alex Knappenberger June 15th, 2003 09:38 PM

I don't even have a camera or the experience on the level most of the "pro's" here do, looks like that instantly makes everything I make garbage. I guess I better give up now.

Aaron Koolen June 15th, 2003 10:02 PM

I think in the year I've been visiting these forums, I've come across 3 times where people have gotten a bit nasty, or taken something the wrong way and got out of hand. And these instances are usually squashed by a moderator pretty quick.

This is an excellent and mature forum and my video exprience would have been a lot worse off for it if I hadn't stumbled across it (Ahhh google)

I must say though, that Jay Rose from dv.com is amazing. Not only for his knowledge but he's friendly and always seems to put a lot of effort into answering people's questions. Shame that there are a lot of people there who aren't the same.

Cheers
Aaron

Josh Bass June 16th, 2003 12:00 AM

I've seen some people just lash out on that site (dv.com). . .totally unprovoked. Mostly on here, people say "Well, you're trailer's good, but . . .etc." Over there, some guy posted his trailer, obviously a comedy, and one of the replies was "is this supposed to be a comedy?" Ouch.

Frank Granovski June 16th, 2003 01:01 AM

Alex, don't cut yourself down like that. I think that you are a talented young person. In fact, even Bruce thinks you're a smart, talented "teenager."

Alex Knappenberger June 16th, 2003 01:07 AM

Heh, I was being sarcastic, following Josh's post. Sarcasm doesn't go well over the internet.

"Although we're always open to kids and to folks who are brand new to DV, our focus is going to be shifting very soon toward the more professional end-user."

Mark Moore June 16th, 2003 06:46 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Although we're always open to kids and to folks who are brand new to DV, our focus is going to be shifting very soon toward the more professional end-user. That market is currently not being served very well, whereas there's an existing glut of online forums already out there for the kids and the newbies. -->>>

Yes, there are quite a few of those communities. I haven't visited the two boards that were discussed in this post, but I'm a member of two additional boards and I have learned more here just reading others' questions, then I have from responses (if in fact I get any) from the other two boards combined!

While it's none of my business how the board evolves, and I can certainly see where the 'ultra' professional with years of experience has to sift through posts like mine can be tedious, but the thought of us 'newbies' being left behind is kind of sad! I came here because of the professionalism and information that this board exudes and if that all leaves (for lack of better terminology), then we're back where we started from!

Please tell us that those with less experience aren't going to be left wandering in the desert! That desert ain't so hot!

Chris Hurd June 16th, 2003 07:56 AM

Woah... hold on! When I said "we're always open to kids and to folks who are brand new to DV," I mean that: always open!

It is every member's business how the board evolves, and no one will be left behind. We might add, for example, a forum for Panasonic Varicam owners... everyone will be able to read it, but perhaps only actual Varicam owners will be able to post... that doesn't take away anything from the Open DV Discussion area that anybody can use... so relax! ;-)

<< Heh, I was being sarcastic... Sarcasm doesn't go well over the internet. >>

Exactly, which is why we make a concentrated effort to remove these types of posts from our boards (yours left intact for a perfect example here, as you realize it doesn't translate well on the internet).

A message board is by definition an asynchronous text-based discussion. It's very difficult to build emotions like sarcasm into a text-based discussion, and in the long run, sarcasm has no purpose here. The boards are a searchable database of useful technical information. Sarcasm is neither technical nor useful. Sarcasm is not information. We have to work hard to find it and remove it, so please help us (and do yourself a favor in the process) by not posting sarcastic remarks. There are plenty of other message boards for that... and here we're not like other message boards.

My point about the kids and newbies is that we have that ground well-covered and we're looking to stake out some new territory. That doesn't mean we'll be neglecting the previously established areas... nobody will be "left wandering in the desert!" I've been there! Hope this helps,

Heath McKnight June 16th, 2003 07:58 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : I don't even have a camera or the experience on the level most of the "pro's" here do, looks like that instantly makes everything I make garbage. I guess I better give up now. -->>>

No, no, Alex, not you. You're cool. We're talking about the yahoos who should be annoying the guys at aint-it-cool.com.

dv.com is going all pro, I understand, on their boards. I think...That red eye flight (and no sleep) wore me out...

heath

Mark Moore June 16th, 2003 10:19 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. I know I have some of the least experience on the board, but after wandering through that desert for awhile, listening to psuedo-intellectual, wanna-be flamers, give their inane opinions as fact, I'm not in a hurry to go back!

I do feel better now. Besides, I may never complete my doc without the help of the board, and I wouldn't want to remove you from the credits!!!