how to find actors for a film i want to make. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 21st, 2003, 12:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how to find actors for a film i want to make.

i am working on a 30 to 45 minute short movie and want ot know th ebest way to find actors to work for free. if anyone has any suggestions please tell me.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I would check with local colleges and their theatre departments. I have used local stage talent before and they are usually very accommodating - if the shooting schedule is a bit flexible (after all, they're working for free!).

Also if you have a "City-Arts" department, they could also help out and send out a casting email to their contacts.

However, you should be prepared to at least offer water/soft drinks, snacks and lunch for the free talent. It isn't a hard rule, but it is a nice gesture, especially if you want to use them again!

Good luck.
Old June 21st, 2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Community theatres are a good place to start if you want to find people with acting experience. You may also want to contact your local newspapers and have them announce your casting call (some will do it for free in their "announcements" section, others may ask you to pay for a classified ad). Always specify gender and age range of your characters so you'll find people who are suitable for the role.
Andres Lucero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2003, 11:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In my area there are so many budding filmmakers that the novelty is wearing off and its getting harder and harder to get people to audition blindly through classified ads. One of the best ways we've found to approach people is to attend screenings and festivals of as many local filmmakers as possible and write down the names of actors we like. Usually the actors will be right there in the audience and you can hit them up on the spot. If not, ask the filmmakers for ways to contact their actors. This works for crew members too.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media