DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   US/UK Standard Mag Ad sizes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/11114-us-uk-standard-mag-ad-sizes.html)

John Locke June 22nd, 2003 02:38 AM

US/UK Standard Mag Ad sizes?

Anyone have any idea where I can find the dimensions of "standard" US and UK magazine ad/photos/graphics?

I'm anticipating someone will recommend getting a magazine and measuring. ;) I need more detailed info than that...such as what amount of bleed is necessary, which sizes don't require bleed, and what the names or nicknames are for each type (island, 1/2 page horizontal, etc.).

Thanks!

Frank Granovski June 22nd, 2003 02:47 AM

John, there's no exact standard. Each magazine has it's own unique ad sizes (and prices for these ads). Are you creating an ad? If you are, I suggest targeting the magazine. I could give you ad sizes for some US magazines, since I've placed ads in the past, but I don't think it'll do you much good---they're all different sizes!.

Zac Stein June 22nd, 2003 02:54 AM

John,

I'll take you as my wife, no ad required.

Zac *grinz*

K. Forman June 22nd, 2003 05:13 AM

Awwww.... Isn't that sweet? Seriously though, just call the magazine, and speak to the ad dept. They should give you all the info you'll need. Understanding it is a different story :)

John Locke June 22nd, 2003 05:14 AM

Oh, no...Zac's on to my scheme! A mail-order bride.

Frank, I was hoping to crank out some generic "Lady X" plug and play ads, mostly small, with the understanding that customized sizes can also be made for magazines that can't use the generic ones.

Even though ad sizes are different, aren't there some set sizes for photos that are inset in a column...since two column and three column pages are pretty standard?

We're getting some bites from magazines...and they've asked me to send them samples of logos, photos, ads, etc...but with no mention of particulars on sizing. So, I'm not sure what to send. I do know it needs to be 300 dpi...but outside of that...beats me.

Maybe the best thing is just to contact them againa and ask them what sizes they need.

K. Forman June 22nd, 2003 05:31 AM

I have found that when it comes to magazines and ads, there is no such thing as "standard". I did an ad for a promotion that SurfGuru.com was having. I contacted the magazines ad dept, and the gave me all the info I needed. Very friendly folk.

Of course, that was American four color printing. I think they use a different colour system in the UK ;)

Gayle Bryan June 22nd, 2003 09:51 PM

John,
Sizes and specs vary depending on the format of the magazine. If you develop an ad, the production people at the mags you are placing them in should be able to size them for you.

Gayle

John Locke June 23rd, 2003 01:14 AM

Thanks for the info, guys.

Looks like this will be a one-at-a-time project.