DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Need Tips -- Help Me Catch A Thief! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/111544-need-tips-help-me-catch-thief.html)

Jordan Orberg January 3rd, 2008 03:11 PM

Need Tips -- Help Me Catch A Thief!

Hello,
A friend called me a couple hours ago and said that the bank he worked at had been robbed and that they had survelence video of the robber. However, the footage is bad, and they can't tell who it is. I'm doing this as a favor to him, so if I'm unable to help the situation it won't be a big deal.

I was wondering if anyone here has any tips. I have the entire CS3 Master Suite, and will be capturing off of a VHS tape.

Thanks for your help!
-Jordan

George Ellis January 3rd, 2008 03:19 PM

I know you want to help but why not let the FBI handle it? They do this every day and have the technology for it. If those are the masters, they may *insist* that they do it.

Jordan Orberg January 3rd, 2008 03:26 PM

Yeah I know, its just a little thing to do....they alerted the authorities and everything. I just wanted to take a shot at it so my friend is bringing a copy of the tape home. And he has permission! :)

Paul Cascio January 3rd, 2008 05:06 PM

The FBI is not going to let you get anywhere near that video, but it would be fun.

Chris Harris January 3rd, 2008 06:26 PM

Haven't you watched CSI or Law and Order? Any video editor worth his salt can take a grainy VHS video, zoom into the suspect's face, and "enhance" the image, making it look clear as day. Bonus points if the video program automatically cross-references the face with a database of all known criminals in the world, and gets a result within 10 seconds.

Bill Mecca January 3rd, 2008 06:42 PM

and tells the authorities where they had lunch based on the small stain on their clothing that is nearly invisible to the naked eye. LOL

Jordan Orberg January 4th, 2008 03:19 PM

No tips? Well it was worth a shot. :) Thanks anyway --

Don Bloom January 4th, 2008 04:52 PM

you have about as much chance to enhance that video as I do of becoming the leading candidate to be president ;-()

Oh wait, I'm not running!

Anyway back to the matter at hand. IF the FBI can't do anything with it with all of our money that was spent for fancy hardware and software then it's pretty much a lost cause. No not pretty much. It IS a lost cause.

The bank should invest in better quality gear-say some new cameras and a computer that records to DVD instead of the VHS. I don't believe it's all that expensive anymore. Plus it keeps customers happy.

Don

Chris Hurd January 4th, 2008 05:28 PM

Back in 1993 I did some work with a bank security investigator in Austin, and a big part of his daily routine involved very careful analysis of low-quality VHS time lapse security tapes. He had an interesting and challenging job and he did it well. Could he get useful information out of low-grade VHS? Yes. Could you or I? No. There is nothing you can do with this video except stand back and let the FBI (or whoever the official investigating agency is) do its job.

Gary Chavez January 24th, 2008 10:01 AM

I often wonder, as I see these awful images on my newscasts, why banks don't invest in better cams.
We have much better cams pointed at our construction sites. And they only cost about a grand apiece and dump to a hard drive.

Nate Benson January 25th, 2008 08:19 AM

what's vhs?

I kid, I kid.