Thinking about Film School - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:21 AM   #61
Major Player

thanks
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:05 AM   #62
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This is a thorny, complex issue. Not knowing you personally, it's nearly impossible for any of us to offer valuable guidance. So take my remarks as merely thoughts of a stranger (and someone who's probably older than your parents, at that).

On the one hand, it may seem to make good common sense to leave school until you're certain you know what you want to study. After all, why spend the money aimlessly?

But on the other hand I have to agree with Rick; stay in school The scholastic / academic regimen is indeed very hard to resume after leaving school, even for a year. If you have the academic, financial and emotional support opportunity to continue studies at a collegiate level do so. Taking a break might seem attractive but many distractions can arise within a year or two. Perhaps you'll find a job that pays you "good money", a girlfriend that wants to get married, you set your sights on a new car. Such influences become sirens that draw you perpetually off the education path. Suddenly you're invited to your high school's 10-year reunion. You're still earning pretty nearly what was "good money" to an 18 year old. You don't even remember that girlfriend's name any more. And that car has long since met the compactor.

One last point. There is a natural, and understandable, tendency to view a college education identically to that of a vocational school. That is, you ask yourself, "Will I become rich and successful if I go to college?". That's the wrong view. While a vocational school may provide you with instructional guidance on a very narrow occupation, a good college education can give you something far richer; it teaches you how to learn and exposes you to many disciplines and avenues of knowledge. These are far, far more valuable lifetime skills. Used wisely they can open doors and enrich you for the rest of your life.

I'll close with a personal anecdote. From the age of 14 I was absolutely certain of my professional goal. I spent 10 years of grueling, competitive study in pursuit of that goal. Ironically, after finishing all nine yards of requisite study I ultimately never practiced the profession for which I had studied so hard. Do I feel that I wasted time and money? Absolutely not. There is not a day that passes in which I am not grateful for completing that education and in which I do not use some part of it. Life led me in directions I could not possibly anticipate. But my education enabled me to continue to grow in new directions and keep pace with my new track.

Good luck to you, Riley. I know that most of us 'old-timers' know that you're facing a difficult bend in life's road. If you are fortunate you will encounter many such bends in the road ahead.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:45 AM   #63
Major Player

Just an off topic question. I noticed someone implied that LA isn't the only answer to finding a job in the film business. I am enrolled at Full Sail in the Orlando area. I'm just curious as to whether there is much opportunity in the Orlando area for a career in the film business. I have yet to move up there, (I don't start untill November) so I havent really been able to look around the area completely. Have any of you worked in the area before?
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:33 PM   #64
Warden

Orlando has various production jobs and many, many applicants. If you want to work in your field after graduation, be prepared to move.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:38 PM   #65
Major Player

I agree with Matthew exactly.

Filmschool is unecassary; school is not.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:02 PM   #66
Major Player

i think i'm going to major in Film/Video or media, so basically I could work in media, video, etc. And working on making it in film outside work. Good idea?
Riley Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:18 AM   #67
Major Player

Honestly

The important thing to do is what makes you happy. (I know, how cliched) But it is true. Most people don't learn this lesson fast enough. Go with your gut, go with heart. Do what makes you feel good.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:47 AM   #68
MPS Digital Studios

I can understand where you're coming from; my first year at the local community college stunk and didn't offer film. It did the second year and I was pumped to finish my school.

But there is always something to say about having a degree, esp. if you want to teach.

But, if you just want to learn the technical side in a matter of months, you can always go to tech schools that focus on filmmaking, videography, post and more.

Some schools include Conneticut School of Broadcast, New York Film Academy, Palm Beach Film School (where I now teach) and more. Those might be an option if you just want to learn quickly, then go out and start doing your own thing. Or work at a post house, etc.

I also tell people if they're serious about film school as a Bachelor's or Master's degree, consider that you'll also be networking at these schools. The places where you'll meet pros most often is in New York, L.A., North Carolina, Miami and Austin film schools. I'm sure there are others, but those are the most common that I'm aware of. This in no way reflects bad on other great film schools, but on a daily basis, those cities have a lot of pros going in and out of the school.

heath
Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:20 PM   #69
Major Player

Hey Dustin,

I am not implying that LA is not the only place...I am stating it as a FACT.

Riley,

Orlando has allot of opportunity, albeit, not as much as LA, but it is still there. There are plenty of opportunities everywhere.

I also know for a fact that Orlando is a tight place to find work, remember my "dog-eat-dog" comment?

There are many other places that give CA a run for its money.

NYC, Miami, North Carolina, MA, TX, etc.

The opportunities are there, you just have to dig in and go for it, especially if you are not already "juiced in" by having connections.

Look around, do not limit yourself, but get your education, and then, grab the bull by the...forget the horns...grab it by the B*LLS and make it your own!

RB
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #70
MPS Digital Studios

I have to just say one thing, if you decide to go to school in Florida, I'd recommend Miami. That's were around 55% of film, TV and video production is happening.

heath
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #71
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : Hey Dustin,

I am not implying that LA is not the only place...I am stating it as a FACT.

Riley,

Orlando has allot of opportunity, albeit, not as much as LA, but it is still there. There are plenty of opportunities everywhere.

I also know for a fact that Orlando is a tight place to find work, remember my "dog-eat-dog" comment?

There are many other places that give CA a run for its money.

NYC, Miami, North Carolina, MA, TX, etc.

The opportunities are there, you just have to dig in and go for it, especially if you are not already "juiced in" by having connections.

Look around, do not limit yourself, but get your education, and then, grab the bull by the...forget the horns...grab it by the B*LLS and make it your own!

RB -->>>

Thanks for the info Rick! I feel a little better about it now. I really like Orlando. Its a really nice and quiet place, and the people are really nice too. Well at least in the parts that I have been in. So I was hoping that I wouldnt have to move away from the area to get a job. But we'll see how it goes...
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #72
Warden

Jobs are very tough to get in Orlando, very tough. That's why I suggested that you be prepared to move if you want to work in your field. There are lots of new grads and experienced applicants for almost all job openings, all wanting and looking to do the same as you.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #73
MPS Digital Studios

Jeff is right; it's a little easier down in Miami. I've been able to get work when I want it. But you also have to know people and they have to know that you are a great, hard worker.

I lived in Orlando 4 years ago for about a year, and it was tough getting freelance work outside of weddings. In West Palm Beach and Miami, it's much easier and I don't do but maybe a wedding a year.

heath
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #74
Inner Circle

My son just graduated from FAU with a degree in Comunications majoring in film/video studies. Unlike Full Sail, it's an accredited degree with all the requirements that it implies (math, english, and what ever other classes FL requires to get a degree of any sort).
So while the core was film/video (both theoretical and pratical), he also got a well rounded liberal arts education.

Thats going to help him no matter where he ends up.

He got his first job doing PA work with a local production company that does the syndicated ship shape show. They liked his work ethic and want him back for several other shoots.

He didn't stand around acting like a college grad. He did what ever was needed, when ever they needed it. Whether it was putting out the directors cigarette or setting up the lights or recording time cards for the talent. Without complaint, With a
positive attitude. He knows what he wants and is willing to work to get it.

Thats what they are looking for. In exhange, the director is already giving him tips on framing and lighting setups. They are also going to allow him to sit in on editing sessions, just becuase he's willing to go there at night and make the effort. (just to watch and ask a few, very few questions, hehehe, at least for now).

The points?

Get a good well rounded education.

Get your resume in as many hands as possible.

Network like crazy.Hustle every contact, even long shot ones.
Even if you know the person if full of baloney, you never know where they will be 10 years from now. I mean this in positive way, not a sleazy underhanded way.

Exceed their expectations of you. Work you butt off. Don't be afraid to perform better than others doing the same thing. Those others won't get you hired or pay your bills.

Within legal limits, no task is beneath you.

He also supliments his income doing at least one wedding a month.

I'm one proud papa.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #75
Air China Pilot

//Even if you know the person if full of baloney, you never know where they will be 10 years from now. I mean this in positive way, not a sleazy underhanded way.//

I find this very hard to do but I believe you on this tip.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media