DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Final shot in Bedazzled (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/11351-final-shot-bedazzled.html)

John Locke June 27th, 2003 07:54 AM

Final shot in Bedazzled

Anyone have any ideas how the final shot in Bedazzled was made? Is that actually four layers?

1. the background with SF bay and ship and the park with some people blurred.
2. the biker couple off to the right side against a blue screen
3. the main couple against a blue screen.
4. more blurred people against a blue screen, to move in front or everyone in the foreground.

Does that sound right?

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 08:14 AM

Aha! Finally stumped ya!

K. Forman July 2nd, 2003 08:27 AM

Stumped? Not really... I just haven't seen Bedazzled :)

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 08:45 AM

Well...in my opinion...after the opening credits you can jump to the last shot in the movie and not have missed much. But that last scene caught my attention...I'd love to try something like that...but I'm not sure exactly how they did it.

K. Forman July 2nd, 2003 08:49 AM

Maybe what you need is a bunch of kids?

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 06:07 PM

You lost me, Keith...kids?

Nobody wants to check out Bedazzled again, eh? I can understand that. I'll just ask the specifics then...how would you go about creating a shot where:

1. The background contains lots of static items in the background (buildings, grass, etc.) but there are lots of blurred people moving in fast motion (basically just a shot filmed at a very slow speed).
2. A main couple is walking at regular speed, apparently down the sidewalk in the background shot, and stopping to interact at center frame. (smooth natural walking...not the kind where they've walked really slowly then sped it up in post)
3. Some of the blurred people moving fast actually pass in front of the main couple who are moving at normal speed.

K. Forman July 2nd, 2003 07:14 PM

John- I was reffering to the kids that remade Raiders of the Lost Ark. You don't know how they did the scene in Bedazzled, get some kids to remake it? Tough crowd :)

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 08:40 PM

Now I got ya... the synapses weren't snapping on that one. You're right about kids being a tough crowd now. I remember making presentations for school on Big Chief tablets, poster board, and using colored pencils.

Now they turn in full-production DVDs. Sheesh.

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 2nd, 2003 11:55 PM

John, I've seen the shot you're talking about, and though I don't have the DVD on hand, it's really not that sophisticated a composite. I think it's just a few different takes of time-elapse matted together. You can try this for yourself in your spare time, but keep in mind, this film probably had three or four full-time matte artists budgeted, and there was possibly a bit of frame-by-frame rotoscoping to pull some of the mattes.

Rob Lohman July 11th, 2003 01:07 PM

Probably done with blue/green screen work and different camera
speeds. They did a similar thing in Matrix 1.