Spike Lee vs TNN? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old June 27th, 2003, 09:04 AM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Spike Lee vs TNN?

I have been watching the changes that TNN has been making to it's format. It starts out as a Country Music Video format. Then, it switches to sports and movies. Now, they are becoming a "Man's channel", complete with cartoons aimed towards adult men.

This is where my puzzlement comes in- They are planning to change the name to Spike TV. OK, I don't quite get it, but whatever. Now Spike Lee is sueing them, saying they are using his name to boost viewership. I don't see the connection. I have never sat down to watch a Spike Lee production, but how does he become the icon for men?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Wrangler

And the news yesterday was that for his case to go forward, Lee must post $2.5 million bond to cover TNN's legal expenses in case he loses....

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #3
New Boot

This lawsuit is a joke. It's gonna get thrown out, or TNN will win. The only reason Spike Lee's suing them is because he's a greedy bastard and thinks he can make a quick buck.
Billy McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

You sure there's no association with the SPIKE and mike animation festival? Especially being that only SPIKE is still alive, and that you mentioned it was cartoons?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I'm not really sure about anything, except Lee challenging TNN. I have seen some of the lin-up they will be presenting, Stripperella by Stan Lee, Ren and Stimpy, and Gary the Rat. As far as the rest of their programming, it will likely be like TNT's "movies for guys who like movies". Also racing, sports, etc.

I still don't see how Lee can see the infringement... Since when has he been associated with any of these?
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #6
Wrangler

I do not think that Spike Lee will prevail, but he does have an issue. Spike is involved in the media business and Spike TV is certainly media related. What he has got to show in court is that people will get confused thinking it is indeed produced by Spike Lee.

My take is that so far no one I talked too ever made the connection between Spike Lee and Spike TV. But then maybe I am not travelling the same circles as TNN and Spike Lee?

What might be a more interesting question is what if Spike Lee did decide to open his own network? Would TNN (Spike TV) raise a ruckus if he created Spike Lee TV?

On the other hand maybe he just doesn't want to see the Spike TV animated series 'Stripper PI(?)' anywhere near his name....

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Wrangler

"My take is that so far no one I talked too ever made the connection between Spike Lee and Spike TV."

I thought there was a relationship, after I heard the name "Spike TV" but before I heard about the lawsuit.

It will be a difficult case to prove. In any case, there are in reality very few people who involve themselves in lawsuits out of mere greed. It takes quite a bit of moral conviction and real belief in the righteousness of one's position to withstand the hell that is the court process. For example, one strategy the defense might employ is to try to show that TNN would never want to name their channel "Spike TV" if they thought there would be confusion with Spike Lee by defaming Lee and denigrating the appeal or morality of his body of work.

And I'm sure Spike has better things to be doing with that $2.5 million than letting it rot in a court's account.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:07 PM   #8
Wrangler

My thought was it was a really, really dumb name for a channel. That doesn't mean it won't be successful, but I wonder if I will keep watching TNN after the name change.

You know this bring up another point too, do you think this is nothing more than TNN & Spike Lee stirring things up to gain publicity for their projects? After all hasn't Lee and TNN work on project before?

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 01:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Any publicity, even bad publicity, is good publicity... especially where the entertainment industry is concerned.

The fact is, anyone can sue anybody, for anything, at anytime... Frivilous or not, it's the American way.

What we have here is someone who has become a legend in his own mind. He hears the word Spike and thinks it's about him. Well, what about legendary musician, Spike Jones? Or the other Hollywood directory, Spike Jonze? Will Spike Lee be able to interfere with their commercial projects because they use the word "Spike". Will the National Volleyball Association have to embrace the word "Smack" to describe a hard hit ball? Ironically, Spike isn't even Spike Lee's real name.

Perhaps I should productize "Eric". Only I can use it - cause I'm in a legend in my own mind. Forget about using the word "America" in anything. It's got "eric" in the middle of it: A.M.E.R.I.C.A.
We will now be known as The United States of Ama per my pending lawsuit.

God bless our great country.
Better use the term USA. United States of Ama might get confusing...
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I like how you can read about the ongoing battles in Entertainment Weekly, but their TV listing still indicates it as SPIKE. Heh heh...

Stupid lawsuit from a guy who hasn't made a good movie since DO THE RIGHT THING.

heath
Old June 28th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Exactly Heath. I mean, what was the total box office for Lee's last 5 films combined, like $10,000,000.00 worldwide? If that? Spike Lee is a joke & this is one of the more assinine lawsuits in recent memoery. Hence Johnnie Cochrane. I'm just waiting for Al Sharpton to get involved.
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #12
Capt. Quirk

Al Sharpton is too busy running for Prez...
Old June 28th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #13
Trustee

Erik. I'm not laying claim to know what Spike Lee's agenda is in the movie business (money or politics or what) but maybe making only $10 mill isn't a big thing if he's making movies he wants to make - can we assume he's just in it for the $$ and failing miserably?

I thought Bamboozled was actually a great movie. Sure shot on VX1000's and you could tell but the movie was fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Spike Lee defender - I probably couldn't tell him apart in a room full of people (Unless they were all white ;) )

I think Spike does good movies and I like the issues he tackles.99% of the other shite that comes out of Hollywood that makes 10-20x what he makes is just drivel and Spike lee's films wipe the floor with them IMO.

Anyway, the lawsuit does sound a bit of a stretch. Anyone have a link to an article on it with some more info?

Cheers
Aaron
Old June 28th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

It's sad is all, that he's suing. Give me a break; such a great filmmaker. Not as angry as he used to be.

heath
Old June 28th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Actually Aaron, with the mentiojn of box-office I was alluding more to the fact that it seems to me that the public has seemingly grown tired of Spike Lee's films. With "Do the Right Thing" I thought Spike had promise but with his opening of "Spike's Joint," his court-side antics and his Nike commercials for Jordan sneakers, (not to mention his last few films, which I won't get into here) I lost more & more respect for him as a person as well as a filmmaker. But when he lambasted the public, particularly African-Americans, for not going out & supporting his films (he was speaking of Bamboozled's relative box-off failure) I lost what little respect I had for him. IMO his latest move is simply a shining example of the kind of person he is (has become???), a publicity whore. He has no more claim to the word "Spike" than I do & this case should not have made it as far as it has.
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media