Making a torch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 4th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Making a torch

Anyone know the best way to make a long-burning torch...like the ones seen in "The 13th Warrior"?
Old July 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Check this out!!! Burn baby burn ... (might want to make sure your speakers aren't blasting) I helped out with a production that used this stuff worked pretty well (not sure which gel they used)

Oh and please do be careful John.

Here is the full range of special effects they offer

Regards,
Michael Wisniewski
"only YOU can prevent forest fires"
Old July 5th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #3

Michael,

Cool site! I'm looking for more of a "do it yourself" option since most things like this can't be shipped overseas...but this site has definitely been added to the bookmarks.

Thanks!
Old July 5th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

John- What exactly are you wanting to do? I doubt the torches in 13th Warrior burned as long as it looked. They just relit between scenes.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 01:50 AM   #5

This thread fell dead when I decided not to shoot the scene I was intending to use it for...but I'm sure there are differences in making a good long-lasting torch, just as there are differences between candles. Some candles you can burn out in no time, while others will burn for days.

I'm betting that depending on what type of cloth or other material is used, what it's soaked in (Wax? Kerosene?), then how tightly it's wrapped will have a big effect on how intensely it burns and how long (as well as the color of the burn).

Got something in mind for next spring though, so if it isn't answered here by then, I'll find out and let you guys know.
Old November 29th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #6
Wrangler

Depending on what you're looking for and how you want to go, you can rent torches from Jauchem & Meeh. Also check out the GAMTorch. All of these use propane and have a "dead man switch" which will extinguish them flame if you let go of the torch.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #7

Thanks, Boyd. Interesting links...I'll add them to the bookmarks.

I'm looking at something for a period piece, so it'll have to be wood. Plus, there will be some close shots of the torches, so I'm looking for that "ripple-effect" that you see in torches from the old "Frankenstein" film or from the "13th Warrior".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media