The Passion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old July 19th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #16
Kevin Walsh

I would guess that the rationale behind a blue-eyed Jesus lies more in the realm of economics than in outright bigotry. If the film were totally accurate, Jesus would look nothing like Mel Gibson, at which point it becomes an interesting but obscure little bit of movie-making. Big name, big interest, right?

Besides, Hollywood has historically been quite content with gutting historical accuracy for the sake of box office. It's a dream factory, not a fact factory. :)
Old July 19th, 2003, 08:41 AM   #17
Capt. Quirk

Alot of what Hollywood has done, is nothing new. The church has been doing it from the begining. You have to remember that Christianity was finally sanctioned by the Roman Emperor Constantine in the 3rd century.

The Romans had always had a strong racial bias, and in order to get the people to follow this religion, certain accomodations were made. Who would follow a Jew, let alone a Black one? So, they made a few changes to attract followers, and followers equal donations to the church. Donations equal power.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:20 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Christ was a dark skinned Caucasion like other semetic people. His geneology is clearly outlined in the bible (decent from line of David).
The whole northern European look was made popular by the Catholic church and the artists they hired. Part racial, part business as usual for the church, which tries to adapt christianity to various local cultures. Most of europe didn't convert until Charlemaign(8th century) had his own little holy war and created the brand spanking new Holy Roman Empire.

Conversely, the Orthodox church has always portrayed him with dark hair, dark eyes, more middle eastern/Greek in appearance.

Based on a breif Roman report about his death, he had dark brown hair (chestnut I think).

btw...The blacks jews in Ethiopia were converted, not an original line, though they are fully accepted in Isreal. As far as the christians there...Seeing a picture of a black Jesus is no different then seeing a white one. Depends on the local culture.

I still remember back in the early 70s, we would point to Jesus when somone said something about our long hair.hehehe
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:38 PM   #19
Wrangler

"His geneology is clearly outlined in the bible (decent from line of David)."

Except that the genealogy given in Luke differs from the one given in Matthew, and both trace the lineage of Joseph, to whom Jesus is supposedly not related...

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

What is confusing is Heli is the father of Mary as listed in Luke. It says Joseph pointing to Joseph as the son-in-law of Heli. Matthew is a legal linage and Luke is a blood linage. The Gospel of John also has a linage. That would make three total. It actually does make sense, but is a little long winded for a forum.

I will explain a little anyway.
When a man had no sons his linage ended. But so his line could continue if his daughter married then the son-in-law became as his own son and inherited all his son would have. Heli had no sons, therefore Joseph became his son.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 08:23 PM   #21
Wrangler

John doesn't have a genealogy.

The legal vs. blood lineage hypothesis conjectures a levirate marriage of Joseph's mother to a brother of her deceased husband to whom she bore Joseph. A stronger hypothesis defended by apologists is that the Luke genealogy is actually Mary's lineage, as Jospeh is the only name in the list without a definite article and may have been a parenthetical insertion (in other words, an error). This is strengthened by the observation that Mary is the chief subject of Luke up to that point but is only mentioned in passing in Matthew. Thus Heli would be the father of Mary.

I don't know any of my own lineages back more than six or seven generations and I would be interested in knowing how they kept better records prior to 4 BC.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 08:32 PM   #22
Regular Crew

John sure does have a genealogy.

Matthew begins the genealogy at Abraham. Links to Joseph and the legal line.
Luke begins the genealogy at Adam. Links to Mary and the blood line.
John begins the genealogy before time and creation. Links to God and the Devine line.
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #23
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : As far as I can figure, Jesus was actually dark skinned, not Caucasion. Of course, that would just send the world into a tizzy, wouldn't it? -->>>

Jesus was Jewish. He would look like people in Isreal today. I would not call that dark skinned.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Much like our country (USA) the more time someone spends in the sun the darker they get (usually). With as much time as Jesus spent outside, I would guess that he was fairly dark.
The more we as a whole become cross-cultural the less of an issue this becomes. It is a real shame that it ever was an issue. Personally, I find the pale depictions of Jesus a bit amusing and sad at the same time.

When I first heard of this movie, I thought it sounded a little strange. I had my doubts as to how successful it would be. However the more I have seen of it the more impressed I become. I look forward to seeing it.
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:20 AM   #25
Major Player

I think it will be a good movie. From what I read is Mel Gibson is not going to have
subtitles when it hits the theaters. It will for DVD.
I saw a post that Jesus didn't look like Mel Gibson. If you don't know Gibson does not play the role of Christ.

It's something to see what happens when someone tries to make a film about Jesus that is not blasphemy. Gibson himself said it was a career busting film. Hollywood doesn't like to hear the word Jesus unless it's used with a swear word. But they will give in because they love money and this movie will make money.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 09:01 AM   #26
RED Code Chef

Quote:
It will be a hard movie for me to enjoy, cause I don't like subtitles. They take away from the performance.
That is pretty funny. Here in The Netherlands EVERYTHING is
subtitled (instead of done in a new voice as in germany for
example). I'm so used to subtitles that I don't even see them
anymore.

If the story "sucks" you in I highly doubt you would see the
titles after a little while. The eye is quite quick to adapt.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #27
Trustee

The trick for me with subtitles in theaters is, while normally I like to sit closer to the front, it's imperative in subtitled movies to hang back a little. That way reading the subtitles doesn't hurt your view of the film as a whole... your peripheral vision always picks everything up and pretty soon you forget that you're reading subtitles.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media