DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Project Greenlight (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/12339-project-greenlight.html)

John Locke July 22nd, 2003 07:43 AM

Project Greenlight

Before Project Greenlight recently changed their web site, did any of you see a self-introduction video from a couple of co-directors who were in the Top 4 Directors category? They had a rivalry theme going and at the end of their intro, one director zooms around a corner in his car and runs over a dog and then the other director (who's standing in the street while being interviewed), then says "This is a competitive business. Please call...blah blah blah."

Their film submission had a similar effect in it. An actor/ghoul zooms across the stage and slashes a production assistant in half.

I didn't get their names...and I was hoping to watch both films again. Any ideas who they are and where these films might be viewable?

And if you have seen the films I'm talking about...any idea how they did the runover scenes? What kind of software, and what's the process? It was amazingly real.

Derrick Begin July 22nd, 2003 09:42 AM

Kyle Rankin and Ephram Potelle...

Alex Dunn July 22nd, 2003 10:42 AM

They were the winners are have completed shooting "The Battle of Shaker Heights", the winning screenplay.

I can't wait to see how they did that too! They are very impressive.

Brad Simmons July 22nd, 2003 10:46 AM

Make sure to go to their old site at
www.newbornpix.com and check out "They Came to Attack Us", a brilliant award winning short that cost about 50 dollars.

Ephram has a lot of skill when it comes to those effects.

I haven't seen the Project Greenlight series, but from what I've heard, I hear that those two are very whiney and arrogant. I'm curious to see what their film is like.

Philip Boyer July 22nd, 2003 11:43 AM

In the Movies forum on Wordplay (wordplayer.com), several posts give a week by week breakdown and opinion of Project Greenlight.

Marco Leavitt July 22nd, 2003 06:08 PM

I've been watching the show pretty faithfully, and as amazing as the special effects were in those shorts, they seemed a little gimmicky. But then, I only got to see the brief clips they showed on TV. Were the full shorts really that good? After watching the first episode, I kind of got the feeling those two were awarded the prize mainly because people were so impressed with the special effects, and I kind of think there should be more to directing than that. Look at George Lucas. The more technology he gets his hands on the worse his movies get. You could plot it on a graph. I'm probably coming across as jealous or something (okay, I'd be jealous no matter who won), but I just thought some of the other clips looked more interesting.

John Locke July 22nd, 2003 06:35 PM

Marco,

I agree with you somewhat concerning the clips that are on the Newbornpix.com site. (Thanks for that link, by the way, Brad). Their Project Greenlight submission was hands down one of the best, though. And it wasn't gimmicky at all.

Charles Papert July 23rd, 2003 05:38 AM

I am firmly convinced, being an avid watcher of Project Greenlight (it's a guilty pleasure/fascination/repulsion) that the decision to choose the directing team of Ephram and Kyle was largely based on their potential to fail as much as succeed. So far, they haven't disappointed expectations. It makes for much more interesting TV than if they knew how to handle themselves and the task at hand.

The only real gripe I have with the show is that it maintains the pretense that the hiring decisions were made for the benefit of the movie rather than the TV show. I don't buy it, myself. Either way, I can't help but watch it. It's like a continuous train wreck.

The DP that appeared in the interview process and ultimately pulled out of the running is a friend of mine--he told me that he's content with his decision to drop out now that the show is airing. He did come out looking pretty good, I think, not an easy task with that show!