DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Best way to promote a website? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/13027-best-way-promote-website.html)

Heath McKnight August 8th, 2003 11:42 PM

Best way to promote a website?

HELP! I suck at promotions, even though I work in Promotions at a TV station (I just do what they tell me to do).

I have a whopping 44 people on my email list at mpsdigital.com, and 85% of those people are friends and family.

Some ideas of promoting my company and I is to go to local colleges (and others later) and show my film, SKYE FALLING. Then get students, etc. to sign up for my mailing list by writing their names down.

Any other ideas?

heath

John Locke August 9th, 2003 06:01 AM

Heath,

I make it a point to never investigate/consider/buy any information/product/whatever sent to me as SPAM...simply because they irritate me so much...and a lot of people feel the same way.

The best way to avoid spamming is to find subscription lists...you know, those things you fill out when you sign up for a Hotmail account and such where they ask you to check your interests and also to check whether you'd like to receive mailings related to those interests. That's a safe target audience since they've already given permission for mailings.

K. Forman August 9th, 2003 06:09 AM

Go to any and every message board, and write this post:
"Hey! Check this out! Free videos!" , and post a link to your site.

Then, have a contest where you can win a free copy of one of your movies. All you have to do, is fill out this questionaire, and get the newsletter or whatever you are emailing. Pick one out of every hundred, and send them a copy of your movie.

Eeeeeeeeviiiiilll!

Heath McKnight August 9th, 2003 08:10 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Go to any and every message board, and write this post:
"Hey! Check this out! Free videos!" , and post a link to your site.

Then, have a contest where you can win a free copy of one of your movies. All you have to do, is fill out this questionaire, and get the newsletter or whatever you are emailing. Pick one out of every hundred, and send them a copy of your movie.

Eeeeeeeeviiiiilll! -->>>

works for me.

saw your reel a couple of months ago, I believe it was yours. they aren't hiring editors but photogs at channel 5. Bad weather/tornadoes the other night....

heath

K. Forman August 9th, 2003 08:57 AM

Other than trying to make an indi movie, I am doing nothing but going nuts. I'll take almost anything right now. What did you think about my reel? Remember- honesty is the best policy.

Heath McKnight August 9th, 2003 10:22 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Other than trying to make an indi movie, I am doing nothing but going nuts. I'll take almost anything right now. What did you think about my reel? Remember- honesty is the best policy. -->>>

It's been a while, need to re-check. Check this out, indie filmmaker:

www.pbfilmsociety.org

heath

ps-Move to L.A. Trust me.

K. Forman August 9th, 2003 10:38 AM

Heath- I'll check out the website, but you'd have to drag me back to LA! That place is NUTS!

K. Forman August 9th, 2003 10:43 AM

Very cool site! Hey... Seeing as I sorta know the President, do you think he'd accept my submission even though I'm on the Space Coast?

Heath McKnight August 9th, 2003 11:27 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Very cool site! Hey... Seeing as I sorta know the President, do you think he'd accept my submission even though I'm on the Space Coast? -->>>

sure, y not?

Keith Loh August 9th, 2003 12:02 PM

Heath,

Find the funniest news clip that was produced at your station and make it an emailable with a form that friends can pass to friends.

At Clipstream we made a clip of that famous slip up on Fox where the newscaster said that Jennifer Lopez was looking for a b***job. That became our most popular clip and it was posted to Fark.com where thousands of people saw it and passed it on.

On Fark.com you can also see regularly clips from a TV station called Local6 in Florida which seems to always have something funny that they reported on.

People pass on CONTENT that is interesting and funny. They won't pass on just any old thing.

Heath McKnight August 9th, 2003 12:57 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : Heath,

Find the funniest news clip that was produced at your station and make it an emailable with a form that friends can pass to friends.

At Clipstream we made a clip of that famous slip up on Fox where the newscaster said that Jennifer Lopez was looking for a b***job. That became our most popular clip and it was posted to Fark.com where thousands of people saw it and passed it on.

On Fark.com you can also see regularly clips from a TV station called Local6 in Florida which seems to always have something funny that they reported on.

People pass on CONTENT that is interesting and funny. They won't pass on just any old thing. -->>>

I think Local 6 is in Orlando. They suck. That was Shep Smith who slipped up, and talked about it on Carson Daly.

Hmmm, one time, after a flood, a reporter was talking and she then said, "You know, blah blah blah." During Pet Pics, there was a picture of a dog with a fake bone in its mouth and two tennis balls on each end. The female anchor said, "The balls are bigger than the bone." Heh heh heh.

heath