What! NBC got it right? - Hulu.com, 21st century TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Wrangler

What! NBC got it right? - Hulu.com, 21st century TV

Hulu.com (only available to U.S. viewers)
Looks like the real deal. Many of the currently popular network TV shows & movies, free & available online. And it's run by NBC?!?!?!? I feel like I suddenly woke up in a parallel universe.
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

..And there is

BBC iPlayer - Home

for the UK...and I think it works for other countries too.
Nick Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hulu's big downfall: US only restriction and content only from content providers, no user video upload capability. Imagine posting a embed from Hulu only to have everyone outside the US comment on your blog saying "Where's the video?".

Way too corporate and I have been totally against this, I just wish NBC returned to Youtube.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Nope.................

BBC iPlayer video available in the UK only, tho' the Radio works overseas.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Hulu's big downfall: US only restriction ... no user video upload capability ...
I like the fact that Hulu.com is not YouTube. It's nice to have a single point of access for well produced shows that might be worth watching. And I think it creates a much better platform for well produced independent shows as opposed to the randomness that is YouTube. For example, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Arrested Development are apparently getting great targeted ratings on Hulu.com including revenue from advertisements. As you know they weren't as successfulon regular network TV.

As for the US & UK only restrictions that will have to be worked out in the long run by the lawyers. That's what is holding this back more than anything else. And that's frustrating for this Doctor Who fan who's jonesing to get the latest episodes. What's amazing is that Hulu.com/NBC was able to make so many good shows available despite all the rights management wrangling that must have gone on behind the scenes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media