DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Google Chrome (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/142710-google-chrome.html)

Brian Luce January 30th, 2009 02:09 AM

Google Chrome

I've been using this browser but have noticed it doesn't open certain sites and is super slow opening hotmail. All of a sudden it won't even open this site. Anyone else having issues with Chrome?

Gareth Watkins January 30th, 2009 02:53 AM

I had a look when they launched it... still prefer Firefox for 90% of all browsing....seems faster and more user friendly than the others...
G

Jeff Harper January 30th, 2009 02:54 AM

I'm not using it, but reviews I read early on seemed to be lukewarm, the feeling seemed to be it is a work in progress.

Andy Wilkinson January 30th, 2009 06:17 AM

I'm using Chrome most of the time on one windows machine and Safari on a MBP. Yes, it's work in progress but I don't find it particularly slow or anything and it has some features that I really like. Everyone will have a different set of criteria but for me the re-occurring and very serious security issues that frequently plague IE7 make that browser best avoided from now on.

Josh Chesarek January 30th, 2009 02:26 PM

Hotmail suddenly works if you identify the browser as safari.

To do this:

right click on google chrome icon that was installed and select properties.

in the box that says target, click there and goto the end of the line. Put a space and then paste the following:

--user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Safari/525.19"

Apply and OK

Hotmail should work most of the time now.

Also keep in mind its still beta so some things are still broke. If you come across a site that works for you in other browsers be sure to use the menu option that says report a broken website so google can try and fix the issue.

So far I have enjoyed the speed of chrome but still use IE 7 and Firefox.

Brian Luce January 30th, 2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek (Post 1004052)
Hotmail suddenly works if you identify the browser as safari.

To do this:

right click on google chrome icon that was installed and select properties.

in the box that says target, click there and goto the end of the line. Put a space and then paste the following:

--user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Safari/525.19"

Apply and OK

Hotmail should work most of the time now.

Also keep in mind its still beta so some things are still broke. If you come across a site that works for you in other browsers be sure to use the menu option that says report a broken website so google can try and fix the issue.

So far I have enjoyed the speed of chrome but still use IE 7 and Firefox.

Did MS rig it so Chrome would bog down in hotmail?

Josh Chesarek January 30th, 2009 08:44 PM

Cant say that.

I remember similar troubles with Firefox which were eventually worked out.

Microsoft from what I understand have acknowledged the bug but considering the user base of hotmail users also using chrome is probably pretty small so I doubt its a priority. All which is just speculation.