DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Thumb drive video players (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/145331-thumb-drive-video-players.html)

Tripp Woelfel March 7th, 2009 06:24 PM

Thumb drive video players

I was reading a thread on Blu-ray and got to thinking about if there was an LCD screen based product that does nothing but play video from a thumb drive or media card. The closest thing out there that I can think of are the digital picture frames. After poking around on a big box electronics Web site I only found two that would play video and nothing about audio was mentioned.

Not sure if there's a huge consumer market for such a product because who wants to watch a movie standing in the front hall? But commercially... lots of potential applications there.

I'm looking for something with a screen size of between 7-12 inches and a 16:9 aspect ratio. Any ideas?

Mike Calla March 8th, 2009 08:36 AM

yep some ideas...

Tripp

I'm living in Shanghai and they have what you described EVERYWHERE!!! Literally everywhere!! In stores(supermarkets, convenience stores), in lobbies, in the elevators, and they have interactive touch screen versions in taxis! (BTW the taxis in Shanghai have 90mil riders a month - 1.08 billion year. I love that statistic!!)

Screens sizes vary from a 5 to 6" to upwards of 20". I love'um, they make waiting for the elevator slightly more enjoyable.

They are personalized, so in a supermarket they show supermarket related ads, in an elevator...elevator related ads?? (just kidding) and they DO have audio.

Most units get new content every few weeks/ once a month. Once and only once did i see a guy changing the content - and in fact it was an SD card of some variety. For many months i thought they worked wirelessly, as they have wireless live TV in all the buses, subways and taxis too. So on the way home from work, you can watch the news:) But in fact these a/v advertising lcd screens do use SD media!

the guy who created the company made a bundle!!! Framedia is the company. They orignally just did print ad holders and a few years ago ventured into a/v advertising. they don't make the content though, they just make the units and put them where ever - i assume some locations such as an apartment elevator use some kind of profit sharing model??

you probably can't read chinese but...

ÐÐÒµ×ÊѶ

hope that helps

mike

Tripp Woelfel March 9th, 2009 07:01 AM

Interesting. I gave the site a quick look but not understanding Chinese, I didn't get a lot from it. I Googled the company's name and didn't come up with any English language sites so no soap.

From what I've seen and read, those kind of display adverts are just starting to show up in the US. I know that about three years ago, supermarkets in southern California installed TVs at the checkout stand so we're definitely headed in that direction.

I'm still curious if anyone else knows if these SSD media players are out there.

Mitchell Lewis March 9th, 2009 07:32 AM

There are quite a few of them available:

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player ($99)
Iomega 3400 USB 2.0/AV 500GB ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive ($139)
Iomega 34151 1TB USB 2.0/AV ScreenPlay Pro HD Multimedia Drive ($259)
Mediagate Network Multimedia Center w/Full HD 1080P Wi-Fie and UPNP ($302)
Masscool MP-1368AS 3.5" IDE/SATA Media Player ($89.99)
LaCie LaCinema Premier 301814 500GB USB 2.0 Multimedia Hard Drive ($181)
Popcorn Hour A 110 Networked Media Tank ($249)

Here's a link to a thread talking about it:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...footage-7.html

Reuben Miller March 9th, 2009 11:10 AM

For a stand alone operation, I thing the WD Media Player works pretty well. Simple setup... Media Player connected to HDTV via HDMI cable.

Thumbdrive into USB slot, and away you go!

The operations that have multiple displays running, i.e. supermarkets, bookstores, clothing retailers etc., are generally run by satellite feed from Digital Display Companies. These companies feed the signal to all stores at the same time, and can change the content on demand, in short order if required.

Here are a couple of interesting (older) links on Digital Signage.

What lies ahead for digital signage | SelfServiceWorld | Self Service World

Role Call: Building a successful digital signage team | KioskMarketplace

Budgeting for a Digital Sign or Electronic Sign Network

Tripp Woelfel March 9th, 2009 08:00 PM

Mitchell... Thanks for the links. Good stuff all. However I'm looking for an integrated solution. A screen (TV or dedicated screen) with media slots. I want something for a countertop or wall mounted.

Reuben... I check into those links. Even though they might be dated, there might be a tail of breadcrumbs I can follow.

Bob Diaz March 13th, 2009 02:05 PM

I did a brief review in my Podcast of the WD Media Player:

Bob?s Technical Comments

or

Bob?s Technical Comments

Bob Diaz