DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   You know you are an old f*rt when... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/146104-you-know-you-old-f-rt-when.html)

Alex Pineyro March 18th, 2009 10:50 AM

You know you are an old f*rt when...

Your first "handycam" was a Sony BMC-110

Your first (and only) copy of Hollywood Fx was made by Sinergy Intīl for the Amiga platform.

Your first copy of After Effects was made by CoSa

Your first pro cam was a Panasonic WV-F250 (and you still have it for sentimental reasons)

Your first "real-time" NLE was a video toaster - flyer (and you still have it for the same reason as the Panny)

You know who Lee Stranahann is, because you have all his instructional videos.

You were allowed to use two 650 halogens at church when taping a wedding.

You say "taping" instead of "filming" when aquiring footage.

And a lot more.

Sad thing is that this is not one of those chain emails floating around. My wife asked me to clear some storage space in my office closet, and all these memories are now on cardboard boxes ready for the dumpster (thatīs what Iīve told her)

Hey! I just found both my Umatic decks! In pristine condition... sheeeez!

Cheers!

Richard Alvarez March 18th, 2009 11:48 AM

Yeah, I keep moving my Umatic deck from this closet, to that one... 'just in case I need it'.

And I'm STILL shooting with a Panasonnic wv-F250 at one of the stations where I direct.

Godfrey Kirby March 18th, 2009 02:20 PM

When you say 'old tart' I have to wonder - first camera I got my hands on was an Arri 2C, 'captured off a U-boat' I was told. We used it to make films on how wonderful nuclear power was. Funny how things come around..... Better go, my carer doesn't like me playing with the computer thing.

Dylan Couper March 19th, 2009 05:54 PM

I'm just old enough to have learned to edit on 2 U-matic decks before they were used as boat anchors.

Richard Alvarez March 19th, 2009 06:02 PM

Waitaminute..... where'd I put my teeff?..... Ah, Now then.

Okay - started in Television in '74. In Houston Texas. We were phasing out film for news - but hadn't gotten the new Ikegami 'body pack' so-called portables. Station was still shooting on AMPEX two inch machines... BIG honking reels. I watched an engineer CUT and SPLICE a tape using iron filings to see the bands.... yeah.

We still had Scoopics and Eclairs, and a film room.

When we did remotes, we took the fricken Studio GE cameras... yeah, monster five tube babies. Shot football, baseball, basketball, World Team Tennis, in the Astrodome and HOUSTON WRESTLING in the Collesium with those monsters.

Okay, I gotta go yell at the kids...

"Hey you kids - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

Oh and Godfrey - It's OLD FART not OLD TART.... I think there might be a difference on this side of the pond...

Tripp Woelfel March 19th, 2009 08:00 PM

Up here, it's an old faht. And yes, I resemble that remark. I'm just late to the party.

I edited my first paying gig on a U-matic when I was in college. I was as lost as an Easter Egg but I still got paid. I remember that I had to rent an editing bay by the hour somewhere south of Frisco.

Dave Blackhurst March 19th, 2009 09:52 PM

I think you're officially an old fart when the equipment you fondly remember working with/on is referred to as "vintage"...

I think on this side of the pond the current term for an old "tart" is "cougar"... at least if my UK English - US English translator is working properly

Bill Busby March 20th, 2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Pineyro (Post 1029734)
You say "taping" instead of "filming" when aquiring footage.

Aw come on! Take that one off! :D Film is film.....

Noel Lising March 20th, 2009 09:11 PM

Top loading U-Matic players & recorders. You'll shed a tear when they ask for a dissolve (ABC Roll) 2600 series I think

Black & white viewfinders

Amiga Toaster was the bomb ( sexy chick transition doing the cart wheel)

betamax camera with the sl2000 recorder

ForA Character Generator

You can smoke inside the ballroom during a shoot and you use 1000 watts VTR lights as personal lighter.

Bob Diaz March 25th, 2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Pineyro (Post 1029734)
Your first "handycam" was a Sony BMC-110

I guess I'm REALLY old, my first camera was 8mm film!!!

Bob Diaz

Bill Mecca March 26th, 2009 02:24 PM

TK76
VO5800>RM440>VO5850
Panasonic 555

and you know what someone means when they say "crash edit."

PJ Gallagher March 28th, 2009 06:47 PM

Looks like I fall into Bill's age range :-)

A TK76, with a truck battery in an adapted esky (I think you guys call 'em coolers) for location power.

The days of walking past an edit suite as a U-Matic tape comes sailing out the door to smash into pieces against the opposite wall as the editor finally got fed up with the multiple drop-outs on the tape :-)

Andrew Cohen April 5th, 2009 08:57 PM

you're trying to run Premiere CS4 on Windows 95

Harold Schreiber April 5th, 2009 09:13 PM

Hi "Fellow Old F*rts"

My first Cam was a wind up 8mm film unit, with a bank of 4 flood lights that made the nite into day.

The first video recorder I used - you had to thread the tape - just like the old reel to reel audio recorders, a bit before video recorders came to the consumer market.

Harold

Andrew Cohen April 5th, 2009 10:11 PM

clamp lamps and 8 track will make a comeback, have no fear