Possible ebay Scam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Possible ebay Scam

I just received this email from 'ebay'. When I clicked on the link and started innocently (ignorantly?) filling out the info, I paused and became suspicious when it asked for my credit card, CV# and PIN#. I don't pay ebay, I pay PAY PAL! So upon checking the REAL ebay help files, it was determined that it was a scam! I've sent the email to the NC Attorney General and to ebay support, but thought since a lot of people here seem to look around on ebay, you might get one of these too.

Good luck. (I should have been suspicious since they couldn't spell "responce"!)

[insert email]

Dear eBay User,

During our regular udpate and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on Ebay has been restricted. To start using your eBay account fully, please update and verify your information by clicking below :

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?VerifyInformation

Regards,

eBay

**Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A Responce**

[end insert]
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #2
Air China Pilot

Yes, this is yet another version of the same scam. I posted a similar one a couple months back.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER fill out bank, credit card or other extremely sensitive personal information in an email form. It is too difficult to verify whether it is going to the real company or not.

Email is VERY insecure.

At least if you are sent to a site you can see quite easily if it is in fact eBay or Paypal or whoever is asking for your personal information. (viewing the source, etc. )

If you are not sure you can always type in the address of the real site to update your account information through your normal account login. (Of course you willl most likely find that your account is in fact still up to date and you narrowly avoided a scam).
Old September 17th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #3
Major Player

I wonder how many people would fill that out, trusting that it was sincere/real? When I first started filling out the form, it was generic info so I didn't see the card info until I scrolled down, then becoming suspicious.

Ebay emailed me back and it was a scam and they are 'taking appropriate actions' (I forwarded the email to them). I also forwarded it to the NC Attorney General who emailed me back a confirmation.

Maybe the originator of the email will get more than a couple of PIN#'s! They'll get there own prison/PEN number!
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting it!

Everytime we (you) post this is a chance someone will see it that didn't one of the others. It also serves as a reminder the lows people will go to while stilling anyones money.

I'm down the road from you in SC and just wanted to wish you luck with the storm looming over your fine state.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, Barry. In Greensboro (about 275 miles away), we're expecting 35-40 mph winds and rain THUR afternoon and night, but nothing like the lashing the Outer Banks and the NC/VA line is going to get! To the right-hand side of the storm, they expect 25-30 foot waves - and there is a chance it will come ashore at high tide, which could cause even worse flooding. DOH!

This is what happened when Hurricane Floyd came in a couple of years ago. The storm surge and rains pounded the coast and the connecting rivers couldn't empty into their natural pathes - plus the rains inland from the storm flooded Eastern NC. I hope it moves in and out quickly!

I have a planned trip to Kitty Hawk MON-WED next week (for interviews/footage for a doc), but I've been told there is a chance that it will have to be postponed, depending on damage.

Thankfully the storm degraded from 160 mph winds to 105 mph by tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all those on the coast and in it's path inland.
Old September 18th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I also got this mail and ebay confirmed that it was indeed a scam.
Timothy Eno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media