DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Carnivale on HBO (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/14906-carnivale-hbo.html)

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2003 01:12 AM

Carnivale on HBO

Anybody seen this? Caught it tonight in a hotel room, right before K Street. Most bizarre, really weeeiiirrrd, I don't get it, but the production values -- especially set dressing, props, etc. are just astounding. Migrant carnies in middle America circa 1930, complete with a telekinetic telepathic somnambulist and a soothsaying preacher. Think Todd Browning's "Freaks" in color with inklings of Terrence Malick. Crazy as mud bugs on a griddle. Very mysterious, and it worked on me -- I'm hooked.

Bob Zimmerman September 24th, 2003 01:28 AM

I saw some commericals for it,,,it looked different. But I don't get HBO!!

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2003 01:33 AM

I don't either, but I might have to now... plus a DVR, oy.

Mark Moore September 24th, 2003 06:54 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth. I thought it was very slick, but couldn't follow the story very well. I was doing something else while it was on, so maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to it. I've liked Nick Stahl since MAN WITHOUT A FACE, so I was interested in seeing what type of role he had.

I'll have to catch the next episode to see if it hooks me or not!

Imran Zaidi September 24th, 2003 07:28 AM

I saw it as well. It reminds me of Twin Peaks. It's starting off strong, with the texture and weirdness carrying you along. However, I think, as it did in Twin Peaks, the novelty will wear off and the writers will find it increasingly difficult to pen weird things without just going off the deep end and turning goofy.

I saw a Making Of for this series, and it's pretty impressive the lengths to which they go in the production. Interesting note... in all the outdoor scenes where it looks like the sky is barren... well it's all digitally enhanced. There are mountains in every scene due to the location they are shooting - they digitally remove the mountains, and change the horizon for each new location the carnival goes to.

Neat stuff.

Keith Loh September 24th, 2003 10:19 AM

I've caught the first two episodes and I'll give it two more. I like where it's heading but it's impossible to know right now where it will go because so far it is all tease. I hope it all amounts to something. The flash dream sequences are very enticing (WWI, tattoo man in the cornfield). I'm enjoying the magical realism a lot.

Technically, the production values are very lush. I really like the era they are invoking. Something Wicked This Way Comes, the series?

Nathan Gifford September 24th, 2003 10:39 AM

Yeah, I saw an episode while in Houston. Technically, very good and some very decent acting. However, I can see myself getting pretty bored with it and if the hotel I was in had the History Channel or Shogun I would have tuned in there.

Andres Lucero September 24th, 2003 05:24 PM

I was really pumped for the series because I thought it was going to be a straight-up drama with some creepy freaks - more "realism" than "magical" - but lost interest after watching about 5 minutes of the pilot. It reminded me of an episode of The X-Files without the humor.

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2003 06:23 PM

X Files and Something Wicked are excellent comparisons. And if I did have History Channel out here, I would have been on it probably. Lodge Net doesn't offer very much. But I'm really glad I saw this and I'd like to see more. It's being repeated tonight along with K Street, if anyone's interested.

Jamie Davis September 24th, 2003 07:08 PM

I have seen it..like Chris said I'm captivated and can't put my finger on it...I watched the second episode and I don't even think I blinked..the first 5 mins of episode one kinda gives the plot and now I find out that Ben's mom has something to do with the carny's. That struck me as odd but who knows where the heck it's going..?

Rob Lohman October 5th, 2003 05:32 PM

I'm wetting for someone to send me the episode so I can see
it as well, I've heard some good things about it. The guy who
wrote/produces it is someone I mailed a couple of times with.
His name is Daniel Knauf and he is one weird but cool guy. He
had an amazing screenwriters site at www.unmovies.com
which unfortunately wasn't updated the last couple of years
and seems to be gone now.

He actually sucked on barrel of a (shot?)gun once when writing
wasn't going very well.... He had some very interesting stories
written on that website about his experiences and writing tips
etc.

The other major guy involved is Ronald D. Moore, one of the
forces behind Star Trek Deep Space 9 (which I liked very much).

What did you guys think of the intro of the series? I really
liked the way they executed it with the cards and such.

Tom Christensen October 14th, 2003 04:39 PM

I've seen every episode and will give it one more show. Its dragging. You keep expecting to get closer to the good vs. evil conflict, but doesn't happen. What I've noticed is that this show is 85% long plot and 15% episode, whereas Sopranos, Six ft. are more ike 50/50. Carnivale is more like a 10-16 hour movie. Good luck to anyone jumping on in the middle of the season.

What I really like is the title sequence. Flying through the artwork on the Tarot cards and blending to live action is a very creative effect. Damned cool opening.

IMO.

Tom

Joe Carney October 14th, 2003 09:40 PM

I've been enjoying reruns from the first 2 seasons of Sex and the City, when it was still good. Carnival is starting to drag, but I'll stick with it for awhile longer.

Michael Robinson October 15th, 2003 01:33 AM

From my understanding Carnivale is a 12-part series, so it will supposedly have a definite finish. If it was going to go on forever, I might not give it much longer either...I don't think any television series on today commands that kind of patience from me anymore (getting cynical after watching enough shows with lack of resolution)...I'll stick with it until the end--might as well.

I do wonder where it's going...how the fate of Hawkins and the preacher are intertwined. I actually kind of like how it's been more realism than fantasy in the past couple of episodes.

Frank Granovski October 15th, 2003 03:25 AM

I caught part of it at my friend's place. It also reminded me of Twin Peaks. Fire Walk With Me is my favourite (just behind Dr. Strangelove and She. :rolleyes.gif:

-------------------------------------
I sure miss Dr. Who on PBS---wished I had the BBC. :(