Lost in Translation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 28th, 2003, 10:02 AM   #1
Trustee

Lost in Translation

I just went to see the new film Lost in Translation by Sofia Coppola, with Bill Murray, and set in Japan.

Great, great film! If you're like me and love very textured films with lots of story but little plot, this is the film for you. Bill Murray is just great as always, in what is probably one of his best films. Sofia Coppola is turning out to be quite the filmmaker.

Go see it!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'm really looking forward to seeing this on, Imran...for obvious reasons.

Now...set your clocks/calendars and let's see how long it'll take to get here. Will it open almost immediately like Matrix II? Or will it open almost a year and a half later like LOTR?
Old September 28th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Trustee

A year and a half?! Wow that stinks. I think Lost In Translation opened in larger cities in America last week. I'm in Orlando and Friday was the first day, and there's only one theater showing it. It's a Regal theater - for some reason the Regal theaters around here, even though they are the big stadium-seating multiplexes, seem to like showing Indie films. Especially this particular one. 20 stadium seating screens but at any given time they dedicate at least 2 screens to Indies.

Regal's a pretty nice theater. Recently they started doing this new thing called The Twenty Five, which is this digital programming they put on starting 25 minutes before the film previews start. It's all pretty entertaining stuff - mostly commercials and promotions, but done in a very entertaining, edgy way. And they also show a short film, which is introduced by Dennis Hopper. I think Regal is even doing a contest to get filmmakers to submit shorts for this. The best part is, The Twenty Five is all projected with a beautiful, vibrant digital projector. Which means all Regal theaters in town are now outfitted with digital projectors... The possibilities of that are endless...

Sorry I went off on a tangent. I would think that Lost in Translation, being set in Japan, ought to have shown in Japan first! Maybe they figured it wouldn't do well. I guess they're afraid the plotless story would be... um... lost in translation.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I saw it yesterday and really liked it, although, as you said, there isn't much plot. "Moshi Moshi."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media