Does maxtor make particularly crappy hard drives? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Does maxtor make particularly crappy hard drives?

Okay, so for some mysterious reason, about four or five months ago my hard drive died. Had to get it replaced. Got a maxtor, from Microcenter, where the work was done on it. Today, the bastard won't boot up, gives me a "disk read error message." Into micro center again. If I have to buy yet another drive, should I avoid Maxtor? Or is it just bad karma?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

All signs point to Yes.

My external Maxtor drive crapped out on me this week as well. :(
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

I got a new Powermac g4/1.25g about 6 weeks ago. 3 weeks after I bought it the internal Hitachi Deskstar 80gb drive failed dramatically, making a clickity-click-grind-grind sound. Fortunately everything was backed up....

I have a whole bunch of Maxtor drives, both internal and external, including four 160gb 7200 rpm firewire drives with the Oxford 911 chipset. They have been working great for video editing. I did experience corruption on one of them but was able to repair with disk warrior, so I think this was an OS or software related problem and not hardware.

Your mileage may vary....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

I know a number of people who had some bad luck with Maxtors, but I wasn't one of them.

However, the cost between Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital is small. For my last disk buy, I decided I would try Western Digital rather than deal with the risk.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quite some time ago I had Maxtor drives for a digital still camera. One of them went bad and, unfortunately, Maxtor was no longer manufacturing them nor supporting them. The response I got from customer support wasn't the slightest bit apologetic nor sympathetic. Just plain rude. Not exactly what I wanted to hear for the demise of a $400 type III PCMCIA hard drive.

So I stayed away from Maxtor drives since then.

On the other hand, I have been using Seagate ultrawide SCSI drives for several years without a problem and just recently got a pair of IBM Deskstars to build a 360-gig RAID. So far so good.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have had no problems with my Maxtor Fire Wire hard drive on Mac and PC platforms.

Happy Shooting
Alex
Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

All hdd manufacturers go through "spells" where they get a rash of defective drives. You remember a couple years or so ago IBM with their deathstar(deskstar) drives. Western Digital when everyone just had to have the special edition 8mb cache drives. With this technology there is always going to be defects, it's not what if, but when.

That being said I've had numerous Maxtor drives over the years, never had a problem. But then again I never had a problem with any drives I've used.
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Same here. I have bought 3 Maxtor drives over the past 3 years with no problems.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #9
Air China Pilot

I have connected or in my computer every major brand of hard drive except for Seagate. I have an IBM Deskstar, Maxtor and WD. All of them are running fine.
Old October 4th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

Hmm. Thanks for the input. This drive was, I believe, $75. 30 Gig, 7200RPM. Internal. Was working fine for about 4 or 5 months.

Well, then is micro center particularly crappy? I don't know who else in Houston does computer service and repair and is reputable.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Josh,
I apologize as last night I was tired and didn't read your whole post. Did they test the drives or did you try them on another connector? It's not unheard of for a IDE connector to go bad. Bad cables can also be the source of a problem like that. Usually, but not always these drives give signals in the form of noise when they're going to crap out.

If it's past whatever MicroCenter's return policy is, I would deal with Maxtor and get a replacement from them.

If the drives are definitely toast, you must have been a very bad boy lately to get 2 to quit on you in 6 months ;-)
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

I played with the IDE cables. . .that's a good possibility. . .they ARE like 5 years old and dusty and stuff, I hope I didn't pay the 85 dollars "just to look at it" to find out I have to simply replace an IDE cable. On the other hand, it's better than having to buy another HD and reinstall.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media