Cubs choke, Cubs choke, Cubs choke!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 7th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Cubs choke, Cubs choke, Cubs choke!!!

The only mystery will be whether it's in game 5 or 6 when they blow it. hehehehehe. Maybe even in 4 if the Marlins stay hot.

And the Yankees in 4. Safe bet. Better the Sox had lost to the A's then the Yankees, hehehe.

FL and NY. It will be a great world series.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

At least by saying "Cubs choke," you acknowledge that it would be a huge upset for the Marlins to win, which they won't.

Hey, hey.
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Ya' know, it's funny here in STL... everybody who's a Cardinals fan seems to hate the Cubs... personally I don't get it?

I went up to Chicago a month ago and I think the reason STL fans hate Chicago's teams so much is because our heads would explode if Chicago was a way better city that ALSO had us so completely dominated in sports. For any of you guys who haven't been to Chicago, it is one kick-ass town... unbelievable in fact...

I for one would like to see the Cubs end "the curse"... no offense to you other guys...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

HMMMMM, choke?
Let's see, bottom of the 9th, Sammy cranks one way out tied 8-8, now going to the 10th! Win or lose, it's a great game and hell, I'm not even into baseball anymore.
BTW, Chicago IS a great city. Been here just about my whole life and even thought I HATE the winters (I love warm) it is a wonderful place to live. What other town has 2 major league baseball teams, a 6 time world champ basketball team, 2 hockey teams (Blackhawks AND the Wolves) and a pro football team.

I didn't say they were all good just that we had them and the resturants, oh the resturants....the museums, WOW, the entertainment, (shows) and the blues clubs, the best , the absolute best.
For those of us who are old enough to remember the 1968 Democratic convention remember it was the first Mayor Daley that said "If you can't join 'em, beat 'em", or something like that.
A history that is as good or better than any other city in the world.
Sinatra said it best "It's my kind of town"...

GOOOOOOOOOO CUBS!!!!!!!!

Don ;-)))))))
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #5
New Boot

And don't forget that it's the only city in this country you can get an edible pizza. If you can pick it up with your hands it's not pizza, it's tomato sauce on a cracker.
Chris Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #6
Major Player

what kinda lights hit homeruns..? why, mike LOWELL LIGHTS!

9-8 Fish...go fish!
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #7
Major Player

pizza

Nothing like a stuffed pizza from Giordano's to satisfy a manly appetite.

Love this stuff.
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Yeah, they lost but they did make it exciting.

By the way, you need TOTAs to hit a home run (we should keep this somewhat related to video)

Don't forget Lou Malnatis for deep dish!

I know what I'm having for lunch, a good ol' Chicago Style dog! MMMMMMMMMMMM!

Try again tonite :-)

Don
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Okay you guys... I've posted a lot of stuff to help others so now I'm going to ask for something personal.

I used to go to Chicago every year for CES... about 8-10 years ago. I got this pizza in a small town... basically a WAY west suburb before you get into Chicago coming from St. Louis... right off the exit is a Fairfield Inn... we're talking about 30 minutes outside of Chicago at the most. I'm mad at myself for not remembering the exit/town.

Anyway, when I went up to Chicago a month ago I wanted to find this pizza place and I drove right to it and the whole freakin' shopping center is gone. The Fairfield is still there though. This place was about 5 miles from the interstate... at the outside of a parking lot. Anyway, the pie was of course thick, with a lemon-dusted crust... basically you got this sharp "bite" in the tastebuds as you first bit into it... then the pie itself had big chunks of tomato rather then simply smooth tomato sauce... really "hearty" pizza with an unusual taste... hungry yet?

So anyway... since the place wasn't there anymore... what was it? When I drove down this road there was all new shopping centers and I couldn't find my pizza place!

Since I can't go back with the hot girl I had then to FULLY relive my Chicago experience I thought I could at least get the pie!
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #10

they didn't choke. the game ended before they could take the lead.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Matt,
Were you driving in on Rte.55?

My daughter and her husband don't live far from the highway and I have a lot of other friends out that direction (I'm fro the northwest suburbs-about 35-40 miles from rt.55 but only a quick 30-45 minute drive-traffic you know) and there is quit a bit going on out in the area you're talking about. Can't really place it but the are other really good pizza joints that surround Chicago not to mention the great ones in the city. Malnatis, Duo, Uno, and a host of others.

Don
Old October 8th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Don, yes it was 55... we have Uno here in St. Louis... there is only one exit that has the Fairfield clearly visible from 55... it's RIGHT off the highway... you used to be able to continue 5 minutes down that road and there was the pizza joint... it is no longer there... but as I continued driving I noticed a great neighborhood and superb golf course... do you know the area now?

Oh yeah, I remember the pizza place had a big red roof and it was called "something" hut. Does that help? Just kidding.

BTW I took 3 hours of video with the dvx while I was up there... as I'm editing it down it depresses me to be back in STL... on the other hand though it is a lot cheaper to live down here... On our first night up (we stayed at the Renassiance... highly recommend... book with Orbitz.com and get river view for cheap)... anyway on our first night up we ask some guy in the lobby how the "bar and grill" is across the street... he says "good" so we continue on over to a place I never heard of, "Smith and Wollenski's", and yeah, it was good... although a bit more then the "Sizzler"... ha-ha.

One more thing video related. Everybody should have a polarizer for lots of reasons... it came in freakin' handy at Shedd Aquarium... back home everybody says, "That camera's amazing! You can't even tell there was glass!" Well, it's not the camera that "eliminates glass"... it's the filter.
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Matt,
That sounds like it might have been Romeoville and the golf course is called Mistwood. You're right, its a great course, 1/2 links style (open) and 1/2 American style course,trees and hills.

Smith & Wollenski is an awesome steak house. MMMMMMMMM!
In New York, the S&W has/had seating on the billboard sign overlooking the street. I've never been there but some friends were.

I actually don't get into that neck of the woods to often but my daughter and her hubby live out that way not far from where I THINK you're talking about, I'll get ahold of them and ask them if thats the area.

Yeah, you're right about the polarizer, don't leave home without it!
I'll be in touch,
Don
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #14
Inner Circle

OK Matt,
I might have narrowed it down.

Weber Road has a Fairfield Inn right at the exit, not far was or is a golf course called Naperbrook, one of the few I've not played AND there USED to be a pizza place called Marshalonis (sp) that my daughter said had GREAT pizza.

Hopefully that has cleared up the mystery.

BTW, the CUBS lead 10-0 in the 5th? with Mark Prior pitching and things are looking good.

Don
Old October 9th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #15
Inner Circle

>>Nothing like a stuffed pizza from Giordano's to satisfy a manly appetite.<<
Is Edwardos still around? They were my favorite source for stuffed pizza when I lived up there. Giordanos was a close second. And don't forget Ronnies Steak palace just off Wabash, with authentic 50s decor and great, affordable steaks, and best of all, heaven on 7 in the Garland building. Best sausage gumbo outside of Louisiana.

BTW, I'm a life long Carndinals fan.
And Chicago is the greatest town in America.
I hope the cubbies make it all the way, but I just don't think it will happen. The fans are certainly more dedicated than the fair weather ones down in FL.

True story
Early 90s, me and my wife take our son out of school for the Cubs second game of the season, playing against St Louis (at Wrigley Field,which is why I wanted to go). A little man comes up and askes if my son would like to be Batboy for the Cubs. We accepted and I had to sit on the Cubs side because of it. His uniform was comprised pieces from different players on the team (including Damon Barryhills turtle neck and someones cleates and someone elses pants....). He got paid 20.00. Next day at work, everybody freaked, saying how hard it was to get that position.
Only in Chicago.

I miss the place.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media