Filmschool or no filmschool at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old October 14th, 2003, 02:31 AM   #1
New Boot

Filmschool or no filmschool

Im just posting this because i get alot people who want to be filmmakers ask me, HOW DO I MAKE MOVIES?

Do I go in debt 80.000$ and try to be accepted to NYU or do I learn from a internet film website for 50$, or books?

IM a believer that you should learn the basics of screen play format, camera angles to a point and some lighting. After that practice practice practice.

You can learn the basics but you cannot teach creativity!!

I would like to hear what the dv family has to say!!
Stacy Principle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Stacy,

This qualifies as a Frequently Asked Question. These other threads may be of interest to you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=11156

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=10208

My general take on it is: film school isn't about teaching you how to make movies (although if you go to a good one you will be well prepared for the technicalities). Film school is about making connections and giving you the opportunities to get your work seen by the right people.

To make the most out of film school, the student should already have read the popular books on filmmaking, have assayed a few short film projects, and have a clear direction as to what kinds of films he or she is interested in making, if not a full thesis project already plotted out. The most successful film students use university curricula as a way of workshopping their dreams already in progress.

There are many working directors in the industry who came out of major films schools, and a notable but much smaller handful who worked their way up from various backgrounds, including independent projects, music videos, or other industry jobs like set decorating and props.

For the big films schools, a four year undergraduate curriculum is more along the lines of $120,000--probably $150,000 by 2010.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #3
Major Player

If you’re going to a bare bones Film School, that is a non-college degree training program, then I would say skip it. BUT, if you are pondering going to a film school within a quality college, I would say go for it. The reason is because college can increase your knowledge about the world, as well as yourself, and this, in turn, can result in you creating scripts with more depth.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Actually, a good vacation would be that 1 week NY film school that advertises in the back of Film Maker and other zines.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #5
Wrangler

Don't overlook the real training one can get from organizations like those we have here in San Francisco. Bay Area Video Coalition and the Film Arts Foundation. There are a few in NYC too.
Old October 15th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm someone who's bootstrapping my education in movie making.

The best money I've spent so far is on stuff that had nothing to do with "MOVIE MAKING" and everything to do with writing a good story.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd just spend my time/money on learning how to craft a good story, which is really the hardest part. Once I started concentrating on creating good stories, the technical side was a piece of cake.

Unfortunately, it's so easy to get swamped by the tidal wave of technical know-how available, and very difficult to separate the few precious drops of story-telling resources that are out there.
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Michael,

Agree! The writer is like the architect of a movie. Too many times we get wrapped up in how to lay bricks and mortar but someone has to hire you for work. But if someone likes your building design, you can get paid for that and maybe allowed to be a bricklayer too.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media