DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Ever seen a Canon strapped to a rocket? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/15805-ever-seen-canon-strapped-rocket.html)

Matt Gettemeier October 15th, 2003 06:06 PM

Ever seen a Canon strapped to a rocket?

As I see some new progress on the kite idea I couldn't help but wonder if you guys have seen this site...

Here's your teaser... imagine some freakishly enthusiastic model rocket builders getting a little Canon Elura/Optura...

What do you suppose they might do with this little cam and a bunch of huge rockets?

www.gbrocketry.com

Enjoy...

Ken Tanaka October 15th, 2003 07:13 PM

Wild, eh Matt? One of the contractors that worked on my home a few years ago was a model jet nut. I had no idea people built and flew r.c. model jet aircraft. These things really move...and they're not small! They routinely put video cams in some models. Frankly, though, the footage I saw wasn't too interesting. But I'm sure they get a kick out of it and that's all that counts.

Robert Knecht Schmidt October 15th, 2003 07:33 PM

Cool link. Lots of shock dropout in the onboard video though.

Richard Alvarez October 16th, 2003 05:19 AM

For what it's worth, theres a fellow in town who attaches his minicam to a Radio Controlled Helicopter. And makes a KILLING shooting aerial shots for people of their homes, ranches, building sites, etc. He underbids the REAL aerial photography companies by thousands, and is able to shoot at lower altitudes.

Something for everyone.

Robert Knecht Schmidt October 16th, 2003 08:09 AM

Sounds like a great business!

Rob Wilson October 16th, 2003 12:08 PM

Those rocketeers look like they could use some help with ground based video! Guess it's hard to track an object moving that fast. I'm guessing shooting one would be fun but catching one detonating on the pad or something similar would be GREAT video. Think I'll check on flight schedules and give it a shot(no pun)

Rob Lohman October 16th, 2003 05:01 PM

Looks awesome... I just hope they don't bring down any airliners.
Anyone saw the movie "October Sky"? Was about the same thing
and pretty nice movie. I even bought it on DVD. And that all in
the month october, who would have thought!

Michael Wisniewski October 16th, 2003 05:50 PM

You know what I'd like to see: A Canon inside a canon for a POV shot. Not willing to risk my equipment though :-).

Robert Knecht Schmidt October 16th, 2003 06:21 PM

A cannon?

Michael Wisniewski October 17th, 2003 06:14 PM

Yeah a Canon shot (literally) from inside a cannon :-)

Matt Gettemeier October 17th, 2003 08:58 PM

Just a little info regarding the cannon/Canon idea... the reason that won't work is g's...

The drop-outs on the rocket video are from a g-force in the neighborhood of "12" which is against the threshold of proper operation of the tape mechanism (and who knows what) inside the camera...

I'm actually super impressed with the quality of the video these guys got... the only other way to do this is with wireless systems which 'aint worth a crap until you spend a ton on 'em...

I've been experimenting with wireless video for a while now and it don't woik so gud.