DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Canadians buying from the US (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/16967-canadians-buying-us.html)

Dylan Couper November 11th, 2003 10:15 PM

Canadians buying from the US

Just a question for Canucks about buying from the US, in person, not online.
I'm thinking of driving down to Washington to pick up a new TV (so much cheaper, with our revived dollar). If I go down to Circuit City, will I have to pay tax there, then again at our border? I've purchased lots of car parts across the border before and not been charged tax because I was bringing them back to Canada. Just wondering if anyone knows what the exact rules are.
Also, what are the rules on Duty as well?

Thanks

Frank Granovski November 12th, 2003 12:20 AM

I don't know but I would call the 800 number in Ottawa. They are very helpful with these sorts of questions. Yes, I've called them before.

Andrew Petrie November 12th, 2003 10:57 AM

Well, I know that when things are shipped here I pay taxes on them. But, if the items are then shipped out of the country, I can get my tax refunded. Revenue Canada told me this.

This may be the case with the US as well, if you bought there, paid tax, then came across and paid Canadian tax, maybe there's a form you fill out to reclaim the US tax. I'm not sure. It's a good question, I'd like a definitive answer myself

Alex Taylor November 12th, 2003 11:54 AM

You could also claim it as a gift and not pay duty ;)

Jean-Philippe Archibald November 12th, 2003 12:47 PM

Alex is right, gifts are duty free, but only until 60$. So if your mother who lives in the US are sending a gift to you with a declared value of 2000$, you will pay canadian taxes on 1940$

Dylan Couper November 13th, 2003 01:49 AM

Hmm... But then why, if I go down to an autoparts store in the US, do I say, I'm from Canada, and they say "OK no tax for you."
What I want to have happen, is that, but at an electronics store.

Bob Zimmerman November 13th, 2003 04:58 AM

Taxes suck!!

Frank Granovski November 13th, 2003 05:47 AM

Yes, they do, but I doubt you pay as much as Dylan and I, 14.5% on every Canadian Buck; and to make matters worse, it costs about $1.30 to buy one fancy dancy US Greenback. :(

Dylan Couper November 13th, 2003 02:39 PM

Hey, I've got no complaints about paying $1.30 to buy a US buck. This time last year it was something like $1.57!!!

Oh, does anyone know what the sales taxes in Washington state are?

Dan Holly November 17th, 2003 07:52 PM

WA Taxes

Dylan,
I used to live down there before I moved to the great white north.......

Non-Washington residents do not have to pay the local taxes on goods bought from any type of store. The only mandatory taxes are in the hotel industry/fuel/airlines/etc.

Just flash your Canadian ID and you are home free in your case.

Lots of people who lived in WA used to go down to Oregon to buy big ticket items to avoid the WA state tax. They put a ka-bosh on people buying luxury items like high end cars/motorhomes/boats/etc. and bringing them back to WA and registering them though by some sort of legislation.

Dylan Couper November 17th, 2003 11:53 PM

Dan, you RULE!
Thanks!