Meaning of professional - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 28th, 2003, 01:02 AM   #16

It was said of Picasso that he could paint a stroke on a canvas and charge a lot for it when ask why it was not the stroke it was that little signature on the bottom of the painting.
Old November 28th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #17
Outer Circle

But he was also some painter, "professional," you might say. :-)

I met one of his students once, back in the 70's. He was a Canadian Inuit.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 01:55 AM   #18
Major Player

"Professional" describes the trade/r and not the tool.
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:13 AM   #19
Outer Circle

He was a famous Inuit artist who had studied under Picasso. I can't recall his name at the moment. I also studied art and one of the fellow students was Jackson Beardy (don't know if that's spelled right). He was very quiet, long long hair, and became famous as a native artist. His teacher, and mine, was Steve Repa. But I beleve that later, Jackson also studied with another famous artist named George Morisetie (that's not spelled right either). I met George in the early 80's in Downtown Vancouver.
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #20
Wrangler

I might have already posted this elsewhere on the DVinfo.net Community, but my favorite definition of a professional is "someone who can deliver good work on a bad day."

Gear is less material to professionalism than competence and attitude. Yesterday's professional equipment is today's child's toy.

When it comes to video equipment, the word professional usually signifies an expectation of better reliability and durability over a greater range of operating conditions.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:48 PM   #21
Trustee

Many years ago, In an attempt to define a standard for who qualifies as a professional photographer, some organization (I don’t remember who), decided “a professional is anyone who produces at least of 50% of their total income from taking pictures”. It did not state anything about equipment.

Steve
Old November 28th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #22
Outer Circle

Quote:
...some organization...decided "a professional is anyone who produces at least of 50% of their total income from taking pictures."
My take on professional is, using the right tool for the right job; the end product result should be more than acceptable in terms of quality; getting paid for the job or being appreciated for the job. The last wedding I went to had 2 clowns claiming to be professionals. I could see right away that the photo guy had the wrong tool/s, including the film and film format, and did not have even a clue what he was doing. The video guy had the right cam, but that's the only thing right about his skills. Both got paid big bucks, by the way. But the bride and groom both wanted blood. But stupid them, they signed a contract and paid most of the money up front. My wife is so p*ssed at the bride because the bride was so ingrateful about her setting up the reception hall, and making everything work. All my wife keeps saying is, after she saw the video and pictures, is imitating what the bride keeps saying: "Me hire prOOOfessional for prOOOfessional pictOOORs because dey go to my country and his country." What a laugh---er, I mean sad. :-)

So, even though these 2 guys are hired as professionals on a regular basis by unsuspecting suckers, I don't think the title of "professional" applies.
Old November 29th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #23
Outer Circle

I thought my last post was funny. :-(
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #24
Machinist Mate

Well, I guess I am neither a professional photographer nor videographer cuz I only get about 40% of my income from each. :-)

(the rest being print-oriented pieces and miscellaneous A/V projects)

Oh well, my paycheck doesn't seem to bounce anyway.
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #25
Outer Circle

Lately, I've been sleeping more than shooting, or anything else for that matter. So videography is more of a pipe dream at this time than a professional pursuit. :-)

You have to love Vancouver's rainy season.
Old December 15th, 2003, 09:16 PM   #26
Trustee

Sleep……..what’s that? I heard about it once, then I chose to become an imaging professional. Haven’t ever slept since, either because I have too much work or not enough. They both have the same effect.

Mike,
Any Machinist Mate with a S400, 10D, digital video camera, a/v experience, JBL cabinets for monitors in a 10’x10’ office, and knows what “show blacks” are is a professional in my book…..oh yea, you have a tractor too. If I need a shooter in your area I’m calling you. Just bring the liquor.

Steve
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #27
Machinist Mate

Hey Steve,

Bringin' the booze, that's the easy part. :-) Even to PHX.

Wow, not only do you read my posts, you remember them! Scary! Just one detail, the JBLs are at home, cuz there's only room for the KEFs at work. :-)

Now I just need to figure out how to integrate the tractor into my multimedia biz so I can write it off on my taxes!

BTW, your website struck a responsive chord with me; so many hotel A/V departments just don't "get it" when it comes to corp events (speaking of not sleeping)!

Thanks for the shout-out, major props right back at ya.
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #28

I know a LOT of professionals who would argue the Webster's definition about making a living from their work. Many of these people make more money waiting tables to pay their bills in between acting gigs, and would take great offense to webster's rather narrow definition.

I would prefer to think that a professional is anyone who has a passion for their work, and demonstrates that passion in the quality of the delivered product that exceeds ordinary standards.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:37 PM   #29
Trustee

Mike,

Mount one of those $69.00 wireless X10 video cameras to the front of your tractor and it becomes your businesses mobile video security device. The IRS wont bat an eye. Very professional.

Steve
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:12 AM   #30
Major Player

So this mean a band-aid is a professional medical tool in my hands and a professional betacam in my hands means I would be utterly confused.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media