Meaning of professional - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old December 18th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #31
Machinist Mate

Paging Doctor Rosen, stat! :-)

Steve, how about I use the backhoe arm as a camera jib?? heehee!
Old December 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #32
Major Player

Frank,

Great thread you have here. I would offer that professionals do not exist, at least that's what I think. I am not a professional, nor is anyone else. I think every person is made to do something, and if they are lucky enough to find out what that is, and actually do it, then they are more likely to excel in life and business. This is very subjective and I don't think anyone but yourself (if you can be really honest with yourself) can really know. I would feel guilty calling myself a professional anything. My brother is a lawyer, a professional in the business world, but I don't say he is a professional lawyer. He is simply a lawyer. I am a teacher. Some of us do the same things as others, yet know more about it than someone else. There will always and forever be someone in the world that knows more or different stuff than you do, thereby negating professional. Same goes for camcorders or equipment. Some equipment "knows" more than other equipment. That's my take.

Clay
Old December 18th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #33
Major Player

Mike - I would answer the page if I could figure out my professional "looking" phone!

=)
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #34
Outer Circle

J., I agree. But I believe calling oneself a professional in something more or less means you that are on par or better than other "professionals" in that area. So, I can at least claim that I am a professional in 1 area, but it's not in videography or even photography. However, I have met a number of professional videographers which, I think, don't amount to much, and once they're delivered their goods, they have to run---these types also have to rely on contracts, so that they get paid. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #35
Trustee

J.

You teach philosophy by any chance?

Steve
Old December 18th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #36
Major Player

Steven,

No philosophy, just music! Philosophy equals time to think, which I have had way too much of lately...

Frank,

In my utopian world of business, professionals would not exist. But, I realize in the real world we must label those (and ourselves) in order to better our business and self-image. If you say you are a professional or you tell others so, then you form a concept and a reputation that you have to live up to or try to. Time and ego then come into play. Time - (my thinking only) - the more you do something, the better you become at it and the more informed you are. Again, I realize that this is not always the case, but the odds are (talent excluded) in favor of one getting better at something the more they do it. Ego - many people can convince others who are vulerable to believe that they are professional and will willingly accept and believe it to be true, many times due to being completely void of knowledge. It is a very powerful thing. By this thinking, Time+Ego=Professional. If you are talented, then you can reduce time and increase ego. For some, Ego=Professional. I may be forgetting something in this equation, and please feel free to respond with your own variations! ...what was I saying...too much time on my hands...

Clay...
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #37

one trait that seems to be quite peculiar to professionals is that they're quite self -serving

ROFL
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I would simplify "professional" to be a title for a producer of a product that a customer is willing to pay for. Thus, "professional" is not a reflection of the quality of the product.

>My brother is a lawyer, a professional in the business world, but >I don't say he is a professional lawyer. He is simply a lawyer.

A lawyer receiving specific compensation for his efforts as a lawyer would be a professional lawyer. Contemporary reductionists accept the shortened title of "lawyer", but the "professional" part is implied.

>I think every person is made to do something

How about sit idle and reap the fruits of the labors of others?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #39
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Gints Klimanis : I would simplify "professional" to be a title for a producer of a product that a customer is willing to pay for. Thus, "professional" is not a reflection of the quality of the product.

Gints,

Great observation! I agree, however in broad terms that makes the majority of people in the world a professional. By that, you are saying the line worker in china is a professional because the are producing a product. In work, I think we all are producers of something.

<<<-- Contemporary reductionists accept the shortened title of "lawyer", but the "professional" part is implied. -->>>

Why?

<<<-- I think every person is made to do something

How about sit idle and reap the fruits of the labors of others? -->>>

It takes all kinds. Unfortunately, this is downside to my statement because there are those that indeed do this. Without getting into a very lengthy and existential discussion, I will just say that these people you refer to probably think they are professionals.

Clay
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #40
Outer Circle

J., I don't go around telling people I'm a professional in something, I just mentioned it once here. 3 threads up I believe. I have the "papers" for other things, though I don't view myself as a professional in those areas. :-))

On another note, I just had a coffee with a buddy, who works as a professional. He was 100 feet up with some lighting, listening to the short band for the explosion countdown. Then, KA-BOOM!! the farm house blew up and he got his ears blown out and the wind sucked out of him (bruised a rib). Pro pay for this? Just under $700 Canadian (few hours of work for loss of hearing). Whoever was in charge of the Smallville set forgot to radio him with the warning. :-))

Catwoman is being shot here, should be a good one. ;-))
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #41
Major Player

Frank,

Please call me Clay, as my friends do! I am sorry to hear about your professional friend. Sometimes I guess it just sucks to be a professional and also takes a lot of risk as well. (I'll add that to the equation!)

As for professionals, I think you are one of many professionals here, Mr. Wrangler sir! Sorry to get so philoshophical and serious, it's all in the fun of it!

Catwoman...can't wait! Have you been to the set...I'll bet there are lots of professionals there! Be careful.

Clay...
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #42
Outer Circle

Clay, I don't make a point of visiting sets, unless I happen to walk buy one---they're everywhere here, even in my neighbourhood---like on my street sometimes, and even next door. The movie, "the Grocer's Wife" was shot next door. If you call me "Mr Wranger" again, you're going to get it. Kidding. :-))

I don't know how to spell her name, Holly Barrie? She plays Catwomen.
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #43
Major Player

How in the world did you score a house in the middle of a studio set? Cheap rent? I'm sure with conditions of coming and going when the "professionals" tell you to!?! :)
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #44
Trustee

You can teach technique but you can not teach talent.

Steve
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #45
Obstreperous Rex

I wopuld be inclined to take Bill Raven's excellent statement: "... a professional is anyone who has a passion for their work, and demonstrates that passion in the quality of the delivered product that exceeds ordinary standards..." and add, "...and gets paid for it."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media