Meaning of professional at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old November 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Meaning of professional

Professional:[list=1][*]engaged in an activity as a means of livelihood or for gain[*]of, connected with, or engaged in a profession[*]a person who belongs to one of the professions, as law[*]a person who earns his or her living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs[*]a person who is expert at his or her work[/list=1]From, The Random House Dictionary

I would assume then that going with "Number 1," a professional cam is cam that can be used for an activity (shooting) for livelihood or for gain. That would make my 5 year old JVC 1-chip, GR-DVL9500 cams, my friend's TRV720, Yow's MX350 and Terrence's MX300, professional cams. And I'm sure the list goes on. (Just to clear up the over use and confusion about the meaning of the word, "professional," and the term, "professional cam.") So if you shoot with a Canon ZR20, and have the footage dumped to a VHS tape, or transfered to 35mm motion film, and this activity is your means of livelihood or for gain, then the Canon ZR20 is a professional camcorder! :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Professional...the new extreme. Can't wait to see the new Gillete Triple Blade Professional.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

its not what you use its HOW you use it ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Major Player

No. A professional using a piece of equipment does not necessarily make the equipment professional. If a professional wouldn't normally use such equipment, then it's not a professional piece of gear.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Major Player

It's a question that will come up more often as the technology evolves. A GS100k in my hands is definitely not a professional piece of equipment. But at a recent event for an organization to which I belong, one of my acquaintances, who is both an author and documentary maker, was very interested in my cam - for professional purposes. If he were to buy one and use it in his work, I wonder if people would express surprise that he used such an "unprofessional" camcorder or just express surprise over how small professional equipment is these days.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Major Player

I would say, "Look what that professional did with that unprofessional equipment." Hi8 didn't become professional standard motion picture equipment for theatrical production just because it was used in Blair Witch.

Hmm. But that doesn't mean an Arri16 isn't professional if it is used for theatre.

Watercolors are used by kindergardners but also professional artists. But their watercolors are much higher quality.

Therefore, there much be a correlation between the quality level of the output vs the quality of the product. Possibly a correlation in the difficulty in producing that output.

If a professional manages to create a 35mm theatrical release from a VHS camera, that doesn't make the camera professional. Change that to a CineAlta camera, the quality goes up but so does the difficulty.

And what if there is no spoon? Why do you continue to persevere, love and strive when in the end you will only die?
Old November 27th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

???

Frank, what have you done?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #8
Outer Circle

"Frank, what have you done?"

Just quoted the dictionary. :-)
Old November 27th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Equipment can't replace vision and talent. No question there. A CineAlta in my hands would not make me a professional. But many with talent who could not realize their vision before because of the equipment issue can now do so because of the changes in technology - and drops in price point. It seems possible that at some point it will not be very clear what is professional and what isn't. There may still be distinctions made re what is costly or more difficult (though possibly the right word is "flexible" or "enabling") to operate, and I think there will always be distinctions about whether there is talent - and to what degree - behind the end product, but the distinctions about the equipment somehow substantiating one's claim to being a professional may very much blur.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #10
Outer Circle

A "CineAlta" is perhaps considered more "professional" than a PV-DV953 or GS100 because it costs more and is meant for different uses than say shooting "professional" instructional videos with a PV-DV953 or GS100 (for livelihood or for gain). :-)
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #11
Outer Circle

One must look logically at this. :-)

If a cam is used professionally, then it must be a professional cam.

If a police officer uses a horse instead of a car, he is still a police officer.

If a $50 tripod is used professionally, it must therefore be a professional tripod.

Now for the flip side of the coin. :-)

A shooter with a $20,000 professional cam who doesn't use it for livelihood or for gain, must not be a professional then. However, does this mean that a professional cam is really not a professional cam if it is not used for livelihood or for gain? Perhaps someone can answer this. Chris?
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #12
Wrangler

Here's another quotation/definition I like:
"A professional is an amateur who didn¡¯t quit" - Richard Bach

... of course you can also argue that a professional knows when to quit ...
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #13
Trustee

A true professional wouldn't waste time speculating on the word professional, they would just get out there and shoot and leave the speculating to the amateurs.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 12:27 AM   #14
Major Player

I was trying to find a way to say that.
Old November 28th, 2003, 12:33 AM   #15
Outer Circle

I posted that because the word "professional" is being over-used/misunderstood in the MX Forum. Perhaps I should have attached Bill Pryor's disclaimer at the end of the post. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media