DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/)
-   -   Speaking of iPods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/totem-poll-totally-off-topic-everything-media/18500-speaking-ipods.html)

Matt Stahley December 17th, 2003 10:28 PM

Speaking of iPods

Just curious how many iPod owners are present here. I just purchased a 20GB and wonder how i ever lived without one.

Boyd Ostroff December 17th, 2003 10:35 PM

I don't have one, but got one for my daughter when they first came out. Fortune magazine just named the iTunes Music Store the Product of the Year

Matt Stahley December 17th, 2003 11:34 PM

I guess the iTunes store is ok. I have never really checked it out or bought any music from there.Though I do like the idea of being able to purchase a single song. Brings back the good ol' days of Cassingles which had about 3 songs on them for around $3(in the early 90's). Most of my collection is vinyl which i burn and rip .It for sure beats lugging around a large cd case to work everyday!

Chris Sorensen December 17th, 2003 11:36 PM

I got a 15GB in May. Greatness.

Jeff Price December 18th, 2003 11:13 AM

I have one of the larger 2gen iPods. If Griffen really does come out with a good line-in to record then I'll have to upgrade to one of the new 3gen iPods. That way I can use my iPod to record audio in the field.

Ben Nolan December 18th, 2003 03:22 PM

i heard that the internal battery or something in the ipods die after about 6 months to a year and its not replacable so you gotta either send it to apple to get it fixed and spend 200 dollars that way or just buy a new one..pretty cheap if u ask me

Jeff Donald December 18th, 2003 03:57 PM

Ben, your information on the battery is incorrect. User replaceable batteries are available, as well as instruction for the do it yourselfers. Apple has also reduced their rates for out of warranty battery replacement for iPods.

Battery replacement via Apple service is $99 USD. I've seen 3rd party replacement batteries for $49 and I'm sure they could be found for less with a little digging.

Chris Sorensen December 18th, 2003 03:58 PM

Not true, Ben. Someone's iPod batery died after 18 months and they made a website falsely claiming that they were unreplaceable. Can't remember the web address. Anyhow, you can buy replacement batteries from Apple for $100 and for around $50 from 3rd parties.

My girlfrend's iPod is 2 years old and has no problems.

Bill Pryor December 19th, 2003 07:11 PM

I'm one of the few people in my office who doesn't have an iPod. I want one, but don't need one. I mean...I get in the car and turn on the radio and listen to NPR on the way to work. On a trip, I take CDs. In the office, when I'm not editing, I play CDs or listen to a stereo radio on my desk. At home I have a stereo system and gobs of CDs. So I can't figure out what I'd do with one. But they are very cool and I want one, though I'm not gonna buy one.

Patricia Kim December 19th, 2003 09:26 PM

I don't have one either. I kept waiting for the rumored one that will play video to come out. Not in sight yet, so opted to go with the Archos AV320. I now have portable music (mp3), photos and video, but not in as slim a format. Presumably, if I ever bought the camcorder attachment, I could also shoot stills and video footage. But why do that when I can use my dvd or vhs player to record back to the Archos any dvd, even my home-made ones (at about vhs quality) in my possession. (The Archos 300 doesn't handle text files, though, for those who want that capability.)

Tony Teulan December 20th, 2003 03:31 AM

Man, I haven't signed this board in ages... not that I'd signed that many times anyway. :p Ok, smile, nod and pretend you know me. :p (Cliff's Notes version: I'm a 22.5 year old filmmaker from Gold Coast, Australia - that's about halfway down the eastern coastline - and a weekend off wrapping an independent WW2 feature that I wrote and have been directing - not to mention casting myself as an American working with my lover alongside the French Resistance).

Anyway.

Looks like I might be getting the 10GB model for A$529 - for Christmas from my mum. That's about all I'd need. My iTunes library is only 2.37 GB anyway and that's with a fair amount of tracks sitting there for the Crap Factor -- such as William Shatner tracks that are so awful they have to be heard to be believed -- good for when you need a bit of a chuckle.

Jeremy Malheim December 21st, 2003 06:24 PM

I bought a 30 gig iPod in September. I LOVE IT!!!! I have a set of Shure E1 headphones to go with it. Portable solitude in seconds. You can't hear anything that is going on around you. I love it for studying, or just spending some time by myself in the middle of a group of people.

Matt Stahley December 22nd, 2003 01:51 AM

Yeah I have a pair of Etymotic ER-6 earphones that cut external noise levels and enjoy the solitude as well. Plus these little phones sound great.

Joe Carney December 23rd, 2003 11:14 AM

I got the IHP-120 and love it.

I got an I-River IHP-120 and a pair of Sure E2 plugs. Love it. Plus it doubles as a field recorder (can record either mp3 at up to 320mps or wav, both in stereo if needed.)
I almost got the Ipod, but the IHP-120 had more features for the same price. And it's battery lasts for up to 16 hours a click.

Jeremy Malheim December 26th, 2003 07:55 PM

Re: I got the IHP-120 and love it.

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : I got an I-River IHP-120 and a pair of Sure E2 plugs. Love it. Plus it doubles as a field recorder (can record either mp3 at up to 320mps or wav, both in stereo if needed.)
I almost got the Ipod, but the IHP-120 had more features for the same price. And it's battery lasts for up to 16 hours a click. -->>>

I had thought about the I-River but decided on an iPod. Congrats on your new player. You will like the E2's. I had a set before trading up to the E1s.