Various TOTEM posts 2004 - 2006 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM   #31
Major Player

CD-ROM Flash training

Can anyone recommend decent cd-rom training for flash? Maybe somthing similar to "total training".

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #32
Wrangler

Jeff Raskin, member of the original Mac team, dies at 61

Aside from his contributions to the graphical interface, he is credited with picking the "macintosh" name, based on his favorite kind of Apple...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050228/obit_raskin_3.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #33
Major Player

Copyrights Keep TV Shows off DVD

Since there has been a lot of discussion lately on the subject of music licensing for video I found this article entertaining. It talks about TV shows that may never come to DVD because the music licensing would be too difficult or too expensive. Pretty funny I think. They would rather let the music drift into obscurity than risk not making a zillion dollar profit off of it.

here's the link from Wired News

Copyrights Keep TV Shows off DVD
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

A cool book coming out for you Nessie fans out there!

We've had author Steve Alten come to our school that I teach at, and he's cool and inspirational. He really got me more motivated to go out and get my next feature film made.

Well, he's got this new book about the Loch Ness Monster coming out, and I've gotta say, I'm pumped. For those of you familiar with Steve's work, he's famous for out-Jawsing Jaws with 3 books about 70 foot long prehistoric Great White Sharks (Megs) rampaging in modern-day California. He's also written some trippy, end-of-the-world books (Domain and Resurrection) and a deadly, super sub (Goliath) that were highly enjoyable.

For more, visit his Loch Ness site to find out more. The book ships in May 2005! On his homepage, you can send him an email to sign up for his newsletter.

Also, the producers of The Thing (1982) and Hellboy are onboard the Meg adaptation, with Jan de Bont (Speed, Twister) directing. Steve's actually writing the script from his book! They're looking for a studio right now, with hopes to have this in theatres by 2006 or 2007.

heath
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #35
MPS Digital Studios

Hey all you comic book fans!

As some of you may or may not know, I'm a BIG comic book nut! I have an Iron Man and Punisher tattoo on my arm and leg, respectively, so I love it! I co-run an Iron Man fansite/board, www.advancediron.org and www.invincibleironman.com/forums.

We're co-sponsoring a cool contest to help promote a new armored hero from Assassination Entertainment called Zoom Suit (www.superverse.com), which has art from Bob Layton and Bart Sears! There's even an animated 9 minute preview of the comic on the site!

Here's a link to the contest we're running with Assassination: http://www.invincibleironman.com/for...pic.php?t=1772
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Verite' combat footage

Here's an interesting story from LA times, about soldiers bringing home their combat footage.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-videos14mar14,0,629306,print.story?coll=la-home-headlines
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #37
Wrangler

Lord of the Rings: the musical

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/91746.html
Quote:
we will be presenting a hybrid of text, physical theatre, music and spectacle never previously seen on this scale.
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

Part of Ghost Rider shot in HD

http://superherohype.com/news/ghostr...ws.php?id=2746

heath
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #39
Wrangler

Lexar wins huge settlement from Toshiba

A jury in California just awarded Lexar $465 million in damages in their suit against Toshiba which claimed theft of trade secrets related to their NAND flash memory. This was the biggest intellectual property reward in California's history, and the amount is nearly twice Lexar's market cap of $251 million and exceeds Toshiba's entire annual net profit of $432 million. It also caused Lexar's stock price to instantly double!

Should have some interesting fallout; Sandisk jointly owns a flash memory factory with Toshiba. The iPod shuffle uses Toshiba flash memory.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...4405340_newsml
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #40
Trustee

Coming up to NYC This Weekend

Hello to all denizens of NYC out there. I'm coming up to the city early this Friday morning (April 1st) for the weekend for a workshop I have on Sat/Sun, but I'll be poking around the city by myself for most of the day Friday. If anyone wants to meet up and yap about filmmaking in the big apple, or just wander around, maybe stop at B&H, etc., let me know here or drop me an email.

Also, if you just happen to know of something going on this weekend that I should check out, let me know that too!

Thanks!

Imran.
imran (at) theseventhlevel.net
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #41
Major Player

Looking for help gathering info . . .

Hi Everyone -

I havn't been around in awhile. Been really busy with my site. Some of you may already know it, but if you don't check it out: Check it out if you like. http://www.moviemarkdvd.com

Coming Soon:
http://underground.moviemarkdvd.com
http://filmmakers.moviemarkdvd.com

2 cool sites in development so there's not much to see yet. The filmmaker site is up but is still in development

the underground site will be strictly for indie DVDs that do not have any kind of official distribution deal anywhere. i've been talking to several filmmakes whose DVDs will be added when this site goes live in April

the filmmakers site will be where filmmakers can find out how their films can be sold on my site, plus pricing for services such as DVD authoring, duplication and replication. The rest of the site will be filled with how to's and articals all about getting a movie onto DVD and how to self distribute. There will be a forum over there to discuss distribution, DVD authoring and other related subjects involved with getting a final cut to the public.

that being said - - -
I am looking for artical submissions about anything dealing with authoring or distribution that I can reprint on my site.

I'm also looking for resource links. Links to places to sell your DVDs, festivals, lawyers, authoring articles or how to's, marketing stuff and anything else relevant to distribution.

I want to make this a very comprehensive resource for filmmakers.

please email me at margerake@yahoo.com
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Shooting8mm Board

Does anyone know what happened to the "Shooting 8mm" film board?
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #43
Trustee

Pioneer DV-588A-S (Plays divx, SACD, DVDA, Progressive DVD w/line doubler, etc.)

i hate to gloat, but this is one the best/cheapest universal DVD players ever made. i think it deserves recognition, for those of whom that like high end audio and video as well as convenience.

http://www.idealav.com/item.aspx?pid=93703

i already placed my order. they will receive the product wednesday ready for shipping =). here's more info on it:

How Many Formats Can Your DVD Player Play?
Pioneer Player Works With DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, WMA, .mp3, DVD-R, DVD-RW, .JPG, DivX

Las Vegas, NV January 5, 2005 At times it seems like the movie studios and recording industry release a new type of format or disc every week. With so many acronyms on the market – DVD, SACD, DivX®, etc. – it’s tough to figure out which formats or discs work with which player. While no DVD player can guarantee its ability to playback every format available, Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is working to simplify the situation with the introduction of a DVD player that plays many of these new formats and discs. Pioneer’s new DV-588A-S is a full-featured, single-play DVD player that brings high-resolution music and movies into thousands of homes with playback of DVD-Video with PureCinema™ progressive scan, DVD-R and DVD-RW discs for home recordings, DVD-Audio and SACD for multi-channel music, DivX for viewing Internet video material, .mp3 and WMA for compressed music, and .jpg for photo viewing.

For the value-oriented consumer, Pioneer is also introducing the DV-285-S, an entry-level workhorse offering the best in performance with playback of DVD-Video with PureCinema progressive scan, at a price that can’t be overlooked. It also offers playback of .mp3 and WMA compressed music formats and has a PhotoViewer for digital images.

“These new DVD players offer performance features at a great value to consumers,” said Gary Bauhard, director of marketing for home entertainment of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “In today’s digital world, players need to be flexible enough to playback a majority of digital audio and video formats especially compressed audio content.”

Both DVD players offer outstanding image quality with Pioneer’s PureCinema progressive scan circuitry and 108 MHz/12 bit video signal processing. They also process both Dolby™ Digital and DTS™ for a complete surround sound experience from DVD. They offer component and S-video outputs.

The DV-588A-S and DV-285-S will be available in April at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $199 and $99 respectively.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #44
Major Player

1TB Drives in the near future!

I just saw this, an announcement from Hitachi says they will have 1TB 3.5 inch drives by 2007. Wow, wouldn't that be nice?!

Find the article here
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #45
Trustee

Movie marketing material

Hey, for anyone that's always wanted a clear understanding about what type of marketing the studios want for your film...take a look:

http://www.moviepublicity.com

The more you click around..the more you'll find. It's a good place to see how they're selling films.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media