Various TOTEM posts 2004 - 2006 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old September 24th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #76
MPS Digital Studios

More on Soderbergh's new film deal (it's radically different all right)

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/0...SCH325697.html

heath
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM   #77
Regular Crew

"The Clearing" (2004) Music

Hello all,
Just curious if anyone knew the song used in the trailer of the film "The Clearing". The same song is also being used in a trailer for the TV show "Cold Case" on TNT, which is currently being run. If anyone knows that would help me out a lot, so thank you for taking the time to read this. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Alex B.
Old October 7th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #78
Major Player

Circuit City goes rental through Web

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6263973.html
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #79
Major Player

OT:who's been listening to Pendulum

Who here has been listening to Pendulum's debut album 'hold you colour' for the last few months?

Best breaks I've heard in years and years. These guys are taking things to new levels - in my opinion anyway.
If you're into break beats, drum & bass, or any sort of electronic music, check it out.
Favourite track at the moment is "Tarantula" followed closely by "Slam".

Sorry, I know this isn't about DV but, I know alot of you appreciate great music, plus, it's extremely rare these days that I find a whole CD that makes me jump out of my seat.
Besides, it would make an awesome film soundtrack ;)
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #80
Inner Circle

NASA uses a new telescope gyro cam to examine shuttle liftoff.

I just saw this on a Daily Planet special about the Discovery mission and the footage was so shaky!!! if you watched the DVCPRO HD footage on a big screen TV, you would get motionsick within 5 seconds of starting the file. but the tech details is that it is attached to the nose of a high-altitude jet and can resist a fair amount of shake though the controls are very difficult to learn. Speaking of controls, it must use heavy-duty high voltage motors to drive the thing and it would definitly be hard to keep frame of the shuttle! Doug. E, what do you have to say about this?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:26 PM   #81
Air China Pilot

How not to video Bill Gates

Watch out, Bill Gates!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:55 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Great Cinematography or Photography, Invasion!

I started watching a show this year on TV called "Invasion", which comes on right after lost. I love Sci-fi and check them all out. Most are duds like Surface, and Threshold. But this one is good!

In addition to good writing and plots, which I hope it can maintain, it has one other very appealing point. Its director of Photography is Jeffrey Jur, A.S.C. and he is fantastic! I looked him up and he has many shows and movies to his credit. Just check IMDB. Watch and learn!

I sometimes have to watch the shows a couple of times or more just to look at the photography. This is a man most all of us can learn much from. If you have never scene the show, even if you don't like the genre or TV in general, tape a few episodes and turn the volume down and just watch the camera work. It is shot in Hi-def, but I don't know what camera and have not even attempted to find out yet.

If you have not seen it yet, check it out on Wednesdays at 10 EST. You will learn a lot and I will guarantee it! Like the show or not, you will learn!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; November 23rd, 2005 at 10:00 PM.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #83
Wrangler

Microsoft Still a Long Way From Home

http://www.thestreet.com/tech/ronnaa.../10253957.html

Quote:
"They think this Xbox will get them in the living room," says Jane Snorek, a senior analyst who covers technology for U.S. Bancorp Asset Management. "I just don't see that. Why be in the hardware business? If you're going to be in the home entertainment business, why don't you just write software for a TV company or a cable company?"
Quote:
eight years after buying WebTV and investing $1 billion in Comcast, Microsoft is finally reporting a small following of cable operators testing and trying out its latest set-top software, called Internet Protocol Television. Only a company like Microsoft, with a massive $40 billion in cash and short-term investments, could get away with hedging its bets by investing so much in two different Trojan horses simultaneously.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #84
Wrangler

Shaky Times at Sony

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mf...gvisit=y&npu=y

Quote:
In order to stay competitive with copycat producers in all areas of its business, Sony has offered products at every price point. Although this strategy initially proved successful, it ultimately cannibalized Sony's premium products. As consumers continued to purchase Sony products at cheaper prices, they became less willing to pay a premium for the higher-quality ones.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM   #85
Wrangler

Little Drummer Boy

Hey guys and gals
How well do you know your christmas music?

There is a popular version of Little Drummer Boy that is sung by a woman with an angelic higher pitched voice, the version has been around as long as I can remember, and is slow and pensive.

Anyone know what it is or who she is?
I'm asking because I've been listening to royalty free versions of the song all day for my DVC4 entry, and I need to listen to the original that is in my head one more time.

Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #86
MPS Digital Studios

Washable keyboards and mice + scratchless discs

http://www.unotron.com/US/Products.html

and

http://www.scratchlessdisc.com/

Wow...

heath
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #87
Wrangler

"Podcast" is Oxford Dictionary Word of the Year

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we..._year_podcast/

Quote:
the editors of the New Oxford American Dictionary have selected "podcast" as the Word of the Year for 2005. Podcast, defined as "a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player," will be added to the next online update of the New Oxford American Dictionary, due in early 2006
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #88
Wrangler

Superman Returns teaser posted in HD

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/hd/
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #89
Major Player

Best TV quote of the Year

It's the time of year when "best of" lists start appearing.
We've had a great thread on movie quotes, so it's time for some memorable ones from TV broadcasts.

My contribution is one that was on Wed., Dec. 7th, on ABC's Nightline. An old friend, Mary Gardner, whose mother grew up across the street from me, was interviewed on the show.
She was on the airplane where Air Marshals shot and killed a berserk passenger. As she described the FBI investigation, she said, "I was questioned up the wazoo!". The whole family talks like that, all the time. Try and top that one, from a real person or any scripted actor.
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #90
Wrangler

Google announces video store

http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/...rketplace.html

Quote:
CBS's current primetime hits will include CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, NCIS, Survivor and The Amazing Race. Library classics will include I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch, The Twilight Zone, MacGyver, Have Gun Will Travel, Mannix, My Three Sons, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media