Re: Canadian Filmmakers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 2nd, 2004, 01:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Re: Canadian Filmmakers

For those residing in Vancouver -

I'm planning on moving to Vancouver late this year and would like to put together an email list of folks that reside and make films in Canada. Since I plan on attending film school while living there, any contacts would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind me asking you questions about living in Canada and such, please email at ...

emailmikelnow@yahoo.com

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you folks!

:D

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 02:24 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Welcome! You may ask me questions about Vancouver and other parts of Canada anytime. By the way, Vancouver is one of the most expensive Canadian cities.

Which film school? Vancouver film school? UBC?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 01:34 AM   #3
Wrangler

I do video production and indie films in Vancouver.
It's pretty easy to fine indie film makers here. Just close your eyes and throw a rock. I used to do that alot until the police asked me to stop.

If you have any questions, email me at the_klenzer@hotmail.com
Old January 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

a good start ...

Thank you for the quick responses gents ...

how expensive is Vancouver? Say compared to living in downtown San Francisco, California. I am moving my family there as well and if it's more expensive than SF then I'll just have to keep my HIND parts in the US of A.

http://www.vfs.com/ ... yep - this would be the place.

Dylan - I'll definitely be in touch and I'm glad you stopped throwing those rocks! :D

Thanks again.

K. Mikel Low
Old January 3rd, 2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Outer Circle

The basic 1 bedroom apt is about $900 per month, in Vancouver. If you go outside of Vancouver, you get more for the money.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:47 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm long out of rocks. Now I throw small bowls of ebi sunamono.

I hear San Francisco can be one of the pricier places in the US to live, not sure though. As Frank says, budget minimum $900cdn for the cheapest 1 bedroom apartment you can get in a non-crackhouse building.
In the surrounding areas, Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam (where I am) and Surrey, you can get an apartment for $750-$1200cdn. A full house starts at about $1400cdn. Those are entry level prices. I know people that are paying $2000 a month for apartments downtown and $2500 a month for a nice house in the suburbs.
Food and everything else is probably the same as everywhere else, can be cheap, can be expensive depending on your tastes.
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

research ...

I've been looking into the process of getting my PR status and eventually my citizenship in Canada.

OK ... I know you folks have a universal medical/dental plan. I read about free educational services on some website ... is it true? is it possible to attend college for free in Canada? If any of you has details regarding this ... please elaborate on how this works.

Thanks.

K. Mikel Low
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Haha, if you hear any more about free education in Canada please pass it on! There are tons of scholarships, I got an entrance scholarship which paid for most my tuition, but it's on the rise here every year.

Anyways, I'm in the Film program at SFU in Vancouver right, now, feel free to e-mail me (alex_taylor@sfu.ca) if you have any questions.
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #9
Trustee

I can't speak for vancouver, since I live in Quebec and health cares and educations are managed by each province's governement. But in general, in Canada health care are free and education up to university are also *free*. On the other hand, you pay A LOT of taxes and income here. Nothing is really free! :)
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I live in Kelowna BC

Well i think you will find Van alot cheaper to live in if you lived in San Fran...that is if you are bringing US cash. hah

Why VFS?

Yes Canada does have higher taxes but Van has 3 ski resorts within 20 minutes of downtown and is alot like San Fran.

I work in the film business in BC, if you have more questions you can reach me at: info@moorefilms.com
Taylor Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I want to go to Quebec so I can flirt with women who speak french!!!
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media