Cold Mountain - awesome! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 5th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #1
Trustee

Cold Mountain - awesome!

Hey all film lovers!

Go see Cold Mountain - I thought it was great! It was edited on Final Cut Pro 4 too...which is crazy because I own that program.

I came out of the theatre wanting to race home and stare at my G4 in wonderment...knowing I could editing something like that!

All I need now is the footage...lol! Did anyone see the film??

Murph
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

A competent film, and probably Law's best performance to date, but if this is Miramax's Oscar offering and the favored winner, it's been a weak year indeed.

As for Final Cut Pro 4--was it also used to make the title cards? The "water motion" in the opening titles (delayed to the end of the film, probably because the film took too long to get started as it stood!) was chintzy. It appeared just as if the letters were moving in 2D space with respect to each other, not actually flagging in 3D on the ripples of the well water.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Trustee

It wasn't weak compared to the other crap out there. I thought the Matrix stuff was weak...and I'm not a big fan of Lord of the Rings either. There was some good stuff out there...like Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Adaptation and a few other gems.

I liked how Cold Mountain had something for everyone..lots of great emotional moments and great shots with nice color.
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My favorite for the year is 'Lost in Translation'. plus it's a career performance for Bill Murray. If he doesn't at least get nominated, it will reenforce the popular notion that the Oscars are just so much pointless sh#t.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #5
Trustee

I have to see that - everyone says its good. I'm just not seeing the appeal of Bill Murray (50 something) with a 19 year old girl. It's not that I don't see the appeal from HIS perspective, but not hers. I've read they don't even kiss in the movie, but spend the whole time flirting!

I'll rent it...but, all you other people reading this that haven't seen Cold Mountain - what are you waiting for??

Murph
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris, not kissing is part of it's charm. Her perspective was to escape from a terminally boring time in Tokyo while her self absorbed husband goes out on photo shoots (and flirts with various supermodels). Over the course of the movie she becomes infatuated with him and his worldly charm.

btw, the absolute funniest scene is the Japanese hooker sent as a 'gift' from the company shooting the commercial he stars in.

The second funniest is when he pays a visit to the emergency room with her because of an injured toe.

No more spoilers.. just watch it when you can.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #7
Major Player

"Lost" is not about romance and neither are having a romantic fling during any part of the film. It's about friendship and some other things which I can't remember right now. Great flick.

The producer for "Cold Mountain" told me he was told about the book or saw it at the bookstore. He read it in a couple of days and ran to the studios to pitch it. By that time I had already read the book. Wish I knew what he knew then.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I haven't seen this film, but I've been watching stuff like Citizen Kane, On the Water Front, and Casablanca lately. The modern films see to rely too much on effects, heavy handed editing and rapid cuts too often. Personal think I suppose, but camera movement that follows the action is much more pleasing then cut-cut-cut-cut editing.
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Yep. The MTV generation shows it's ugly head. It looks cool on music videos so ya gotta copy it. A lot easier than writing a good story. Or taking the time to do it right.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #10
Trustee

Guys, I do agree with you on the MTV stuff.

However, I thought that Cold Mountain had a good story and also had interesting filmmaking backing it up. We all jump to conclusions on new films because of the past. But, I gave up the argument a while ago...it's like arguing abouts Mac's and Windows. They both have a purpose.

Cold Mountain is a great "new" movie. If you don't think it's as good as something in past...that's cool. You can definately go make something better if you'd like...until then, Cold Mountain is a great "new" movie in my opinion!

Murph
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #11
Major Player

Christopher,

I just want to see it so I can do like you...sit and look at my computer and wonder how the hell he did all of that! Have read all the interviews with Murch, and can't wait to see the film...time is all I need!
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #12
Trustee

J. Clayton, I loved it....and I'm picky!

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media