Attn: Great way to stop commercials at the movies! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old January 20th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #31
Machinist Mate

OK, gimme some more popcorn and show us da damn film arready...

No bilingual signs in Miami???

No lo creo!

Up here in snowy CT i have made signage in both: "Solamente Salida de Emergencia, Por Favor No Abras"

But then of course, people are good at ignoring things in all languages.

(Wow, Rick, I feel like I just have read a personal ad..."seeking single Latina or Jewish Female, nonsmoker, who likes film festivals and Caribbean food." Hee hee hee! I'm a Catholic School survivor too!)

So tell me who is worse, the audiences in MIA or NYC?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:34 PM   #32
Major Player

Miami-Hands Down!

Hey Mike,

Haven't visited this post in a while. If you are still interested in an answer, here it is.

First, they actually had to formally and officially make English, Miami-Dade County's "official" language! Does that give you any indication?

If I had the choice of watching a movie in either one of these two cities, I would choose NY, although, it seems that no matter where you go, there is always a percentage of the crowd who are oblivious to their surroundings.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs when the priest at your local parish has to remind everyone to turn off their cell phones and beepers, and still, there are the morons who don't and are inevitably called during the service.

I have special contempt for the momo who, not only answers his/her phone in a theatre, but will actually hold a converstation as if they were in their own living room.

Tu amigo,RB.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:02 PM   #33
Machinist Mate

Gracias RB,
Wow, they did the total opposite of Canada, where it is a no-no to have English-only signage! Gotta be French and English.

Well, in NYC you also have the choice (budget permitting) of going to a B'way play, where there is no tolerance for moronic behavior, and if you arrive late, you get seated at "staff discretion" (when they jolly well feel like letting you in). No advertising there...except print ads in the playbill.

buenos noches
m
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM   #34
Air China Pilot

In British Columbia the signage is English.

In Chinatown it's in Chinese and English. The only French you see here is in Government buildings.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #35
Machinist Mate

True, Keith,
anything with the govt. has to have French, regardless if you are in Alberta or Nunavut. Or in B.C.... but I guess the west coast is far enough away for local businesses to ignore that rule. (maybe you can tell me, is that a federal regulation or do the provinces have a say?)

Just cruised thru Chinatown (and Gastown too) last summer and did notice all the Asian signage.

On the east coast, another world, even the trucks are French/English.

I'll take Vancouver over Montreal any day.
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #36
Air China Pilot

I'm not sure what the regulations are. If I had a less busy day I would look online for the actual statutes. Not sure if it applies provincially, either.

I've never been to Montreal but I think I'm going to go for a visit this spring or summer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media